CFS2 Install RAF vs Luftwaffe: Aircraft

Thread: CFS2 Install RAF vs Luftwaffe: Aircraft

CFS2 Install RAF vs Luftwaffe: Aircraft

Hi all,

I was pondering what aircraft (both RAF and Luftwaffe/ European theater) I should include on an install for years 1940-1945? Let's limit the fighter and bomber types to, say, 12, so there would be approximately a total of 48 planes in the ac folder. What planes would YOU have in such an install? To go a step further, what planes do you have for your other installs, regardless of theater?

Kind regards

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Icon22 Reply...

Typhoon,

I have a conference out in Central Massachusetts and am leaving in a few minutes, so I won't be able to answer this until tomorrow, sorry.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I found the CFS1 aircraft list cover just about everthing I would want in a European theater. With the CFS1 aircraft list the Hawker Tempest should have been a Hawker Typhoon and the Me262 should have been an AI aircraft but when it comes to CFS2 jets are out.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Icon22 Reply...

Typhoon Willy,

Aeroplane Heaven's Bf-109e and Morton's AH modifications for the AH Hurricane and Spitfire (BoB-era) are must-haves.

Groundcrew's He-111 is still a standard as well as Krystof Malinowski's Ju-88s.

Wolfi's Stuka model is also a must, along with Thicko's Gladiators, Blenheims, the Alphasim Swordfish, Morton's Burnage Hawker Typhoon mod, Captain Kurt's Bf-109s, Paul Rebuffat's Spitfires, Team Daedalus' Fw-190 set, thicko's Short Sterling, Dornier Do-17 set, and Morane-Saulnier Ms-406, Stiz's Handley-Page Halifax, Bismarck13's Beaufighters, Bloch 151/152. Dewoitine D-520, and I could go on...

Are you looking for USAAC aircraft as well?
    "Rami"

TW..

...at one time when I was banged up and confined, I went through all the missions that I had and compiled a listing of the most common planes used. That is what I installed. Then for the remainder of the non-conformist missions I used Mortons utility to convert the missions to those planes. I found that it cut the amount of planes enormously. Time consuming to do but I had the time, couldn't go nowhere.. Alas;suddenly one night, my rig gave up the ghost and took that file with it to the ethernet graveyard, along with the backup drive!!!!
    Still trying to rebuild and maybe do it again.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses and suggestions!

Rami, I have all the planes you mentioned, however, for now, since I'm using a much older laptop (with Win7 installed), I must be selective as to WHO'S planes I use for my installs, must be frame-rate friendly.

This is what I have for the RAF vs. Luftwaffe 1940 - 1945 install:

I. RAF Fighters

a. Gladiator MkI (Greg Law)

b. Spitfire MkIa (Allen's)

c. Spitfire MkVb LF Still searching - Merlin66's only get about 34 fps
    Akemi didn't make an LF.

d. Spitfire MkIXc (Allen's)

e. Hurricane MkIa (Mauro's)

f. Hurricane MkIIc (Mauro's)

g. Mustang MkII (FDG2 ex-donationware)

h. Mosquito MkVI (P. Burnage)

i. Beaufighter MkX (C. Muir's)

j. Typhoon MkIb (P.Burnage/Morton)

k. Tempest MkV (Allen's)

II. Luftwaffe Fighters

a. Bf109E (Allen's & Mauro's)

b. Bf109F (Mauro's)

c. Bf109G (Akemi's)

d. Bf110c (Allen's)

e. Fw190A-5 (Akemi's)

f. Fw190A-8 (Akemi's)

g. Fw190D-9 (Akemi's)

h. Me410 (VB Planes)

i. He219 Still searching

III. RAF Bombers

a. Blenheim (old CFS1 model for now)

b. Beaufort (Wm. Renquist)

c. Hampden (AlphaSim)

d. Whitley (AlphaSim)

e. Wellington (AlphaSim AI ver.)

f. Lancaster B MkIII (Just Flight Payware)

g. Mosquito B MkVI (P. Burnage)

h. DB-7 Boston (AlphaSim)

IV. Luftwaffe Bombers

a. Do17z (Allen's)

b. Ju87B (Allen's)

c. Ju87D (AlphaSim)

d. Ju88A-14 (AlphaSim)

e. He111z (Allen's)

f. Hs123A-1 (AlphSim/Obio)

g. Fi103 Flying Bomb (Allen's)

Yes, there are newer models for nearly all of these, just have to wait until a new 'puter can be within the budget.

Kind regards,

TW

Need a RAF night-fighter in that list T-Willy, to counter the bloody night raiders...maybe an NF modified Beau or Mossie?

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Hi Bearcat241,

From the information I was able to find (read: Wikipedia), the Mosquito NF MkII came into service in January 1942, while the Beaufighter NF was introcuced in March of that year, perhaps I'll take one of each!

Thank you for your input,

TW

Ugh... Reminds me that I'm still sitting on rebuilds of the AlphaSim Lancaster. I have Lancasters that cover just about all RR engine versions of the Lancaster.

SOH-CM-2024
    Greetings, All-
    TW, if I were a betting man, I am afraid you will wind up hitting the aircraft limit before you have all the aircraft in the game that you want. That is pretty much what happened to me the last time I put together an ETO install years ago. Before I put it all aside because real life was getting in the way too much, I had figured that the best route would be to have two ETO and a MTO (or perhaps two) installs. If I were to try it again, my ETO installs would be 1939 thru 1941, and 1942 - 1945. I looked at it from the Luftwaffe perspective- 1939- 1941 would need the Bf-109 D thru F, Bf-110C thru E, and maybe Fw-190 A-1 or A-2 toward the end of 1941. The 1942- 1945 install would get the Bf-109G/K, all Fw-190s, Bf-110F/G, Me-210/410. Anyway, I'm thinking that you might consider two ETO installs, with your break point around late 1941 to early 1942. Should you decide to involve US aircraft, this would also coincide with the Americans entering the war...

Good Luck! Mike Z.

Icon22 Reply...

Mikezola,

Yeup...I had to divide my Europe install between 1939-1942 and 1943-1945, and I still don't have enough room.
    "Rami"

Ram and Mikezola

Attachment 37715

"Balance you have not."

If I was going to run a full BoB/BoE set up the list wouldn't be much more than CFS1 aircraft list. Right now I'm using just about the same as CFS1 and CFS2 skipped eveything after the Battle of Britain up to July 1943 so I haven't been around 1942 much.

My list would be...
    B-17g
    B-24j (this could also be change back to the D model)
    Bf109e
    Bf109g
    Bf110c
    Bf110f/g (Mostly for the paint color change from the C)
    C-47 (Not sure about this one may be best to skip and use for somthing else)
    Do17z2
    Fw190a-1 (For 1942)
    Fw190a-6 (added as a-6 was the first to mount rockets)
    Fw190a-8 (added as it has heavier armament than the a-6)
    He111h
    Hurricane_I
    Ju87b
    Ju87d
    Ju88a
    Me262 (CFS2 and bugged jets make this vary hard)
    P-38j (this could also be change back to the F,G or H model)
    P-47d Razorback
    P-51b (Not sure about this one may be best to skip and use for something else)
    P-51d
    Spitfire MkI
    Spitfire MkVb LF ((Clipped Wings? (For 1942))
    Spitfire MkIX
    Tempest (This probly should be changed to a Typhoon. Definitely becomes Typhoon if V-1 isn't used)
    V1 (Not sure about this one may be best to skip and use for somthing else)

Over all the Brit list needs to be bigger to me but not sure what to add. Players flying twin or more engine aircraft with CFS2 warp fuel bug can be a pain.

Typhoon Willy
    I still have the gmax files for the Spitfires on my PC now. I could clip the wings on the Mk.I for you.

EDIT:

Attachment 37723
    Last edited by Allen; May 6th, 2016 at 19:47.

Icon22 Reply...

Allen,

I have a lot more in than just BoB. It's not really a question of balance for me, it's more a matter of efficiency.

In my Early ETO install, I cover the Battles of France, Norway, and Britain, which includes the Italian (Chianti) component. The Fleet Air Arm is also included. It extends into 1941 and 1942 with British raids on targets in Europe, so that necessitates British bombers such as the Blenheim, Swordfish Halifax, Hampden, Whitley, and Sterling.
    "Rami"

Hi gang,

I love it! Excellent suggestions and advice! I was debating on multiple installs for the RAF Europe, just wanted to see if I could get away with one, but it appears I may have to break it up into at least two, per Mikezola. I'm also planning an MTO, CBI, Pacific, and North Africa installs for the RAF/Royal Navy as well, however, I thought I'd start with Europe. Additionally, I plan to create USAAF installs for Europe and Pacific as well (love to take the P-47 on anti-shipping and ground attack sorties).

Allen, I'd appreciate a clipped version of your AlphaSim Spitfire, thank you! Also, I noticed the absence of the Mosquito from your list of planes. Have you considered overhauling the AlphaSim Mossie? The rocket rails need to be removed and drop tanks may need to be created or used from a different model. A green/grey skin would top it off. Wonder if the same model could be made into a B MkVI? Will be looking for your Lancaster when it becomes available. Always looking for frame-rate friendly planes!

Was the Hurricane MkIIc variant used as a Hurribomber? After the BoB, wasn't the Ju87 withdrawn from the Western Front? For a 1943-1945, was the Stuka replaced by another aircraft? Lastly, was the Ju88 used exclusively for dive bombing. or was it also used for level bombing as well? The AlphaSim model has the bombay doors linked to the dive brakes, so if I were to use it as a level bomber, it would have to drop its ordnance with the doors closed.

I know there are British and German weps by various authors, may I ask what you guys are using for either side? I know Ground Crew and Wm. Dickens (Bismark13) are popular for British weps, and Dbolt and VB Planes have German weps, along with several others. For simplicity's sake, I would like to use one author's weps for RAF and one for German, if that's feasible.

Again, thanks to all for your input,

TW

Rami
    My comment is more directed at the idea that yoy have to have every model like Bf-109 D thru F and Bf-110C thru E. In my book the bf109e and bf110c are enough.

Typhoon Willy
    I still have to work on the clipped version of my AlphaSim Spitfire. I have to find the clipped tips Wing Area and work on the engine.

I canned Mosquito when I did CFS1 to CFS2 as the Mosquito was never used in CFS1 but for Quick Combat. May get aound to doing one at a later date.

The Lancaster will be rebuilds of ALPHA_Lancaster_Dambuster_CFS2_FS02.zip

Hi Allen,

Thank you for looking into the clipped wing Spitfire and your work on the AlphaSim Dambuster Lancaster. While I agree with you about not needing a Bf109D, at the very least the Bf109E and G variants are a must have. Also, it is to my understanding that the Bf109F tropical version was used extensively in North Africa (I don't know how much it was used in Europe). The Bf110C is good for the early part of the war, however, wasn't the Bf110G modified for bomber intercept work against B-17s later in the war? Additionally, for me personally, I don't feel the need for every model of the Fw190. In my aircraft list I have the Hs123 (under German bombers) and Douglas Boston (under RAF bombers), I may omit these as I would prefer to include planes that would be used more in missions either as player or AI a/c.

If I break up my RAF install into an early AND late eras, I may include a few French planes for BoF missions in the "early" install, again, not feeling the need to include ALL or MOST a/c from that country. However, I am very grateful to have such a selection to choose from.

Kind regards,

TW

The clipped wing Spitfire looks to be done as I can currently get it. The AlphaSim Lancasters looks to be a clusterfark of half finished things but could be wrong.

Attachment 37756Attachment 37757Attachment 37758Attachment 37759

Allen,

I believe your Lancasters will do just fine, if there's any discrepancies, I'll never know!

TW

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon Willy View Post
    Was the Hurricane MkIIc variant used as a Hurribomber?
    Yes, but not in Europe. MkIIds and MkIV (RP) were used briefly before the Typhoon took over as the RAF's principal ground-attack aircraft

After the BoB, wasn't the Ju87 withdrawn from the Western Front? For a 1943-1945, was the Stuka replaced by another aircraft?
    Jabo variants of the Bf109 and Fw190 were used for 'tip and run' raids until late 1943.

Lastly, was the Ju88 used exclusively for dive bombing. or was it also used for level bombing as well? The AlphaSim model has the bombay doors linked to the dive brakes, so if I were to use it as a level bomber, it would have to drop its ordnance with the doors closed.
    No, it was one of 'those required uses' dictated by RLM. The He177 also had to be capable of dive-bombing. The Ju88 was used for level bombing and also as a torpedo-bomber in the Arctic and Med.

Hi Hewman100,

Thank you for taking the time to clear that up for me.

Kind regards,

TW

Members who have read this thread: 0