Problems with AI Carriers .NET in FSX-SE

Thread: Problems with AI Carriers .NET in FSX-SE

Problems with AI Carriers .NET in FSX-SE

I recently installed FSX Steam Edition on my new Win 7 HD and everything is running OK. I have also installed AI Carriers .NET which is the modified version of Lamont Clark's original ship placement program using MS .NET Framework 4.0 vice Java. Everything I read before installing was positive so I expected it to run like Lamont's original program: Shift+J brings up a menu on your screen while flying, select a carrier or task group, place it 5 or 10 miles in front of you and voila, there it is. However it's totally "out to lunch" in my sim. Hit Shift+J and the menu may or may not come up, or it will come up a minute or more later. I can't page forward in the menu, or if it lets me I have to wait a long time for it to appear (maybe). If I make a ship selection it may or may not appear depending on whether or not the program decided to accept my selection. Considering the popularity of both FSX-SE and carrier aviation I assume some of you have been using this program to place carriers. Does it work OK for you? Or have you gone to TacPack or another utility for placing AI ships?

Hi TARPSBird

I don't have -SE but will add that all the positive stuff you read about the .net version of AIC is correct. It works great on my Win7 Ultimate rig with FSX/ACC though every now and again.. it will lose it's way and slow the sim down.. more often than not, when I've been switching models lots of times. The slow-down is accompanied by AIC not showing in the Add-Ons menu and requires it to be manually closed from the systray and the sim restarted. I've known a few instances where it's not worked properly on rigs that have FSX installed in Program Files(x86) but the problem you describe is a new one to me.

Hope someone running -SE can shed more light on it for you
    ATB
    DaveB

Hi,

I also recently installed AI Carriers .net version as I am using FSX:SE and the Java version wasn't working. I have only used it around 4 or 5 times, but everything has worked so far. I can't say I have ever used the Shift+J command. All I have ever done is use the FSX in flight menu and select AI Carriers and then select the carrier package, distance to spawn etc. I haven't any problems so far using this method.

Cheers,

Running FSX-SE / Windows 10, no problem with AI Carriers .NET. The only small issue is AI Carriers does not close automatically when I close FSX-SE, it remains running in the background. I have to shut it down manually by clicking on the icon in the notification area.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Running FSX-SE / Windows 10, no problem with AI Carriers .NET. The only small issue is AI Carriers does not close automatically when I close FSX-SE, it remains running in the background. I have to shut it down manually by clicking on the icon in the notification area.
    Yes, I noticed that myself last night... You'd think if the program starts when the sim starts it would close with the sim as well. That doesn't bother me much, it's the unreliable performance I'm seeing. I wanted to fly aboard the new Simworks Studios USS Coral Sea and couldn't get to the menu page to select it.

I also noticed the program continuing to run in the background, and it actually stopped FSX starting the next time as Steam said it was still running. Steam actually thought FSX was still running because AI Carriers was still running.

I have also noticed that if you shut down the flight using the "Escape" key and then shut down FSX using the "Escape" key everything seems to shut down normally.

Cheers,

I think you can actually use the .net version without having the entry in exe.dll. I'm sure DG runs it this way in P3D rather than have it auto-load. It still probably needs the entry but you can change the manual load line from FALSE to TRUE. This may help but it's a shot in the dark. You'd probably still have to close it from the systray.

ATB
    DaveB

Using the "Escape" key to first end the flight then closing out the sim will always close AICarriers.net. I learned that
    when I first installed FSX SE (i'm using it in wins 8.1) I have gotten use to doing it this way ever since.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Members who have read this thread: 0