Virtavia HU-16 Lack of Landing Lights

Thread: Virtavia HU-16 Lack of Landing Lights

Virtavia HU-16 Lack of Landing Lights

After all this time I just now discovered that the Virtavia HU-16 doesn't have any landing lights. In the manual, there are directions on where to find the switches for them and the
    switches will toggle on/off but they are not connected to anything like landing lights.

There isn't a Virtavia forum (any more) so I'm unable to mention this to the Virtavia support.

Found the Cure

Found this on the A2A forum and thought I share:
    Backup the original CFG and replace the [Lights] section with this:

AlphaSim's HU-16B (FSX Only)

Below are the syntax lines to add landing lights and tail white nav plus optionally the yellow recognition light (last line) to the just released AlphaSim HU-16B Albatross.

KNOWN ISSUES: The Readme File for this model states the Albatross did not have landing lights, but included a landing light switch in the VC. This may have come from true information that landing lights are not to be used in any night water landings due to the glare reflection from the water. All models of the HU-16 left the Grumman plant with landing lights installed. They are the retractable type and this action must be built into the model. Thus viewing the added lights from behind the aircraft will show the light rather than the metal light assemble shielding the light.

Second, the tail nav light must also be built into the model to make the light track rudder movements and this was not done. Thus the light additions will not track the rudder movements.

NOTE: Adding the yellow recognition light (last line) should have additional lines added for making the red and green nav lights also recognition (with "flash" included) to match and be accurate. The HU-16 also had two anchor lights on the fuselage just aft of the trailing edge of the flaps (taken from the flight manual). The exact location is not provided, but will be further researched.

The overall model is an outstanding replica of the HU-16. Thanks to Tako_Kichi for assistance provided to allow me to represent the limitations of this project accurately.

[Lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
    light.0 = 3, 0.94, -50.81, 4.20, fx_navred ,
    light.1 = 3, 0.94, 50.81, 4.20, fx_navgre ,
    light.2 = 1, -26.81, 0.01, 5.92, fx_beacon ,
    light.3 = 10, 12.50, 0.00, -0.84, fx_vclight,
    light.4 = 5, -0.94, -42.0, 2.46, fx_Shockwave_landing_light // Shockwave light
    light.5 = 5, -0.94, 42.0, 2.46, fx_Shockwave_landing_light // Shockwave light
    light.6 = 3, -41.2, 0.0, 3.52, fx_Shockwave_navwhi // Shockwave light
    light.7 = 3, -41.2, 0.0, 3.17, fx_Shockwave_recog_flash_y // Shockwave light

Here's my two cents' worth after spending the last half hour getting the white nav light on the rudder positioned correctly and moving the red and green nav lights out just a tad so they're more visible...

[Lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
    light.0 = 3, 0.94, -51.3, 4.20, fx_navred ,
    light.1 = 3, 0.94, 51.3, 4.20, fx_navgre ,
    light.2 = 1, -26.8, 0.00, 5.99, fx_beacon ,
    light.3 = 10, 12.50, 0.00, -0.84, fx_vclight,
    light.4 = 3, -40.7, 0.00, 2.5, fx_navwhi,

Lights and contact points used to be sooooo much easier in FS9 when you could do it with Aircraft Container Manager. Somebody needs to hack that "abandoned-ware" program and make it useable in FSX.

Support can be found here: tech.support@virtavia.com

Members who have read this thread: 0