a wee bit of help...

Thread: a wee bit of help...

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Icon5 a wee bit of help...

...been meaning to ask about this for years...
    In MAW when attacking trains, they no longer start moving when I'm closing (as they used to)...
    Oh m'god, what did I screw up this time?

Icon22 well...

So the train started moving... After I crashed me aircraft right smack dab into the flack car

...possibly there's a way to edit when it moves... maybe in a spawn file or? I fear I'm outta me depth here tho'

Back in the distant past I recall trains would move when my aircraft wuz still a mile or so away...
    ...and when schlepping around in a tank or an AAtruck in QC the trains would move as soon as
    they spawned (?)
    I'd try experimenting more but w/ a low end rig and ten kagillion airplanes the game takes
    about a lifetime to load

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi Popsaka,
    what sort of mission are you flying? Is it QC, Mission or campaign mission?

Icon20 uh oh

That'd be Quick Combat as of late, but as fate would have it the lack of movement is intermittent...
    ...yep, that's right, they've started moving, for the last two runs, at least. (doh!)
    What would be cool is to know where I might start as to editing with trains ships, etc. (in missions or QC)
    BTW, thanks very much in advance

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    That'd be Quick Combat as of late, but as fate would have it the lack of movement is intermittent...
    ...yep, that's right, they've started moving, for the last two runs, at least. (doh!)
    What would be cool is to know where I might start as to editing with trains ships, etc. (in missions or QC)
    BTW, thanks very much in advance
    Hi Popsaka, under your appdata pathway is a folder under the MAW folder called Missions. In it is a file called _mission.xml. It records all the data for the last flight you made so there will be an entry in the file called mode=qc IIRC after you have flown a qc mission.

Can you open the xml file in notepad or whatever and copy the text, and post in this thread? That will make it easier to diagnose what is going on with rail spawns. Sorry about delay I've been out all day!

As a guess the qc mission will call the stock rail spawns but we shall see.

Icon25

Okay, here we are:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Does CFS3 have the same load up issue as CFS2?
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    Okay, here we are:
    Hi Popsaka,

this is where someone like Househobbit could really help. He is a guru on missions.

Where the _mission.xml file says " Type="mission_target_facility" Spawns="railtraffic.spawns" " , that tells you that the dummy spawning facility controls the distance at which the rail traffic spawns.

I am guessing that if that distance is relatively short, the trains might not at first be moving when you appear on the scene.

To test this, you could open the mission_target_facility in the Facilities folder, and edit the distance at which spawning events occur. I don't have the stuff in front of me but the number will be something like 8000, which is presumably the distance you are away from the facility when the rail traffic spawns. So you could try editing the distance to something a bit larger, and fly the same qc mission again.

By the way, are you warping in toward the target? That might alter the behaviour of spawned vehicles, not give them enough time to start moving.

In campaign missions, when I fly CAS or search_destroy against armored ground formations, I find that the tanks all sit stationary when I view them by selecting the target and cycling thorugh F4. That is, I am seeing them at a great distance using the target-player view and the vehicle formation only starts to move when I get to some closer distance. Its a bit of an immersion-killer but then I am looking at the target at a distance where they are impossible to see with the naked eye....

Let us know how your test goes,

D

PS interesting that you are flying in July 1943 in MAW. Have you seen my mod for MAW, changing a lot of entered service dates for xdp files? In stock MAW, flying in 1943 can get problematic as it was never modified (as was intended) to handle missions post 1942. There are problems in campaigns at least, where it is hard to get the complement of fighters and bombers to populate a campaign post 1943 (let alone some of the vehicles to populate ground formations that are part and parcel of the stock spawns used by the game engine for campaign play)....The challenge being to get entered service and left service dates changed to allow the post January 1943 world to work in MAW.

Icon25 A ha, and oh yeah...

I've messed about with many an 'entered service...' etc. dates ...mostly for campaigns I think.
    Also, I've edited almost all me Hurricane *.air files to get rid of the appalling unrecoverable flat spin one all too easily
    slips into ...and also fixed contact points for the occasional sinking tail wheel

BTW I have poor scenery texture mapping (methinks this is the correct term) in ETO... Especially in Italy...
    Truly godawful!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ital_tex.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0