JF DH-98 Mosquito released - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: JF DH-98 Mosquito released

The extra MDL is something AH does from time to time. Have a look at the demo swift and the free paintkit to see how that works.

For the people who havent read the manual there is a page for repainters with tips and tricks and a small insight on the way we make it and how and why we did something. It's supposed to be a help rather than a hindrance. In that same page there is a note about the MDL being a cutdown simple paintkit model. It is even named .pk. It is there to help repainters as they dont need to load the full fruit model to preview ( modelconverterx style ) or run ( simulator style ) the textures they are working on. It is assumed that if you are a retexturer then you would a. understand how to modify aircraft directories and b. understand the reasoning behind this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Baz,

Just read the paint kit portion of the manual...Could you please explain how an MDL that is "a very cut down paint kit model that only handles the parts that are needed to make a new livery" would be used? I'm used to just copying an existing variant folder, replacing the textures with those I have modified, then adding a new entry to the aircraft.cfg file.

What am I missing here?

Kent
    Posted after I posted.

I can answer this for you, Kent. The model.pk folder is a separate model so it needs to be put into the JF_Mosquito_MKVI folder along with the model folder already there. Dont worry it doesnt overwrite you should see 2 model folders.

---- model
    ---- model.pk

Then open up the aircraft.cfg and put in the entry for the texture you are working on but in the "model=" set it to pk.

Then when you run the sim you will see a heavily cutdown mossie. No interior, no vc , no wheels , no engines. It is literally all that you need to use to repaint the mossie. It is the model we used to texture and test in game with. It is a slightly older version so there is a strake on the side that isnt used but you can ignore this.

hope this helps.

I need to get a new signature.

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    The extra MDL is something AH does from time to time. Have a look at the demo swift and the free paintkit to see how that works.

For the people who havent read the manual there is a page for repainters with tips and tricks and a small insight on the way we make it and how and why we did something. It's supposed to be a help rather than a hindrance. In that same page there is a note about the MDL being a cutdown simple paintkit model. It is even named .pk. It is there to help repainters as they dont need to load the full fruit model to preview ( modelconverterx style ) or run ( simulator style ) the textures they are working on. It is assumed that if you are a retexturer then you would a. understand how to modify aircraft directories and b. understand the reasoning behind this decision.

Thanks-- let me look at it.

K

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Does anyone know the origin of that "simulation". Looks real to me.
    Tochy is the guy... more video of his work.

http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~suppon/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Tochy is the guy... more video of his work.

http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~suppon/
    Holly Moly. All this time I thought that was a out-take from BOB. Amazing.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Even Photoshop CS5 won't open the paintkit without errors.
    I can understand using the "latest and greatest" to advance the hobby etc, who doesn't want to use all the latest features? Having said that, many a model is sold on the quality and diversity of 3rd party repaints, so you could be limiting the appeal of the model here.

I do not know if it is my install or it is suppose to be this way....but I am getting a loud "whining' noise at idle!?! It is drowning out the sounds of the merlin's....both inside and outside. It just does not sound right?

Could someone please confirm?

Cheers,
    Tim.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback! We are looking into the prop, sound and light effect issues that have been reported.

Can those of you who are having difficulty opening the paint kit please re-download it from your Just Flight account? We've uploaded an alternative set of PSDs which should hopefully open for you.
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

I absolutely LOVE this bird.
    Obviously, I have no idea what the FDE 'should' feel like, but I do know that with this model its easy to make it perform just like the vids of real flight look.
    I'm impressed.

Re the prop from behind.... Do I understand correctly, that to make the mod above, I need another aircraft? Seems its one I don't have.

Would love to fix that, but that's all!!!!
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

No Dougal.. this fix is for the Mosquito. If you have the Corsair Birdcage.. it will work for that too.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hmm.. I made it after the PK post. Never mind.. just checking in case I'd stepped on someones foot

Re the Mossie's prop (rear view)..

For those who don't care for it much.. copy the alpha from prop_blur_3_t.dds.. resize it to 512x512.. then add it to prop_blur_3B_t.dds and save. The rear will now look as good as the front and it's all done with originally supplied equipment

Good news for Corsair Birdcage owners is that prop_blur_3B_t.dds exists there too so you can use the same texture for the Corsair. Of course.. backup your originals first
    ATB
    DaveB
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for this fix, I don't have the Mosquito but it works like a charm on the Corsair Birdcage. The original prop blur made carrier landings a nightmare, now I can see the deck properly.

Cheers,

Kevin

Agree Kevin.. I stopped using it for that very reason. Corsair carrier ops are difficult enough without any additional impediment!

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    BTW, I don't think the builder got the prop textures right in the photo above: too solid imo
    Hi Tom,

I appreciate your irony. In reality of course that kind of blur only occurs in photos and videos because of the camera shutter capturing a blurred image of the blades, something you can't see with the naked eye. Still it does show the blur AH provide is very realistic if you want to make videos or screenshots (from behind).

Cheers,

Kevin

As mentioned above we'll look into the prop effect along with the rest of the feedback, but in the mean time you can download a modified prop effect here: Download

Just download the texture file and then move it into \SimObjects\Airplanes\JF_Mosquito_MKVI\texture\and overwrite the existing file when prompted.
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

Cheers Martyn

BTW users.. right click on the DL link and save target as
    ATB
    DaveB

This is a really pleasant creation by Baz and crew, and definitely agreed that the flight model is a marked improvement in terms of control response (haven't dived into the climb/cruise performance).

My only suggestion is that it looks perpetually silly to have the pilot's harness unbuckled and resting in the seats. Would suggest either getting rid of them, or make their visibility a click-toggle as a normal start-up item.

Found another small error: in the original FB6 flight manual is says:

'(vii) After completing the checks either at the static boost
    reading or at full power, steadily move the throttle to the
    fully closed position and check the minimum idling r.p.m.
    Then open up to 1,200 r.p.m.'

In the JF mossie aircraft.cfg the minimum rpm is set to 1800 rpm, clearly too high. Easy fix to lower the number to 800 rpm, a normal minimum idling. This also enables feathering.

Paul

Actually, I did make that correction in the aircraft.cfg, but it was too late for the release package.

mal

Martyn - for future reference, as I don't have either yet, will that prop mod work for the Corsair too, as mentioned above?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Sounds like the replacement prop blur and rpm mod would be good candidates for an SP. An additional MDL with a set of slipper tanks (and updated paintkit to include the tanks) would be awesome.

Kent

No problems with the paintkit in CS6, or is this the new version already?

but is it correct that you can see through those exhaust shrouds?

Other than that, nice model!
    OK, I changed the prop and sound, didn't like those too much.

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Martyn - for future reference, as I don't have either yet, will that prop mod work for the Corsair too, as mentioned above?
    Yes.. why wouldn't it? The choice is yours.
    ATB
    DaveB

but is it correct that you can see through those exhaust shrouds?
    Someone has nicked the exhaust pipes
    ATB
    DaveB

Nah, the fitters are still reading the service manual to see where the bits left on the bench should go. Erk moment.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

At Dux
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 1