Savoia Marchetti S.79CS & T just uploaded
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savoia Marchetti S.79CS & T just uploaded

Icon22 Savoia Marchetti S.79CS & T just uploaded

Hi Friends,
    I have just uploaded my Savoia Marchetti S.79CS & T.... Of course it is a "porting", but .... Works also in FSX.
    Note that all the textures are in 2048x2048 dds format.

Civilian "CS" (Competizione Sportiva=Sporting Race) versions of the known medium and torpedo bomber Savoia-Marchetti S.79 "Sparviero", deployed by Regia Aeronautica, or Italian Royal Air Force, were successfully flown (w/civil marks) in the "Istres-Damascus-Paris (Lindberg Cup)" 1937 air race, where they ranked the first three places of the final scoreboard. The also "civilian" "T" (Transatlantic) version of the very same S.79 performed exceptionally in the 1938 Atlantic crossing Roma-Dakar-Rio de Janeiro and in a 1939 experimental test meant to verify the feasibility of an airline passengers and mail line between Italy and South America for the civilian airlines (Ala Littoria S.A.- Linee Aeree Atlantiche, later called L.A.T.I./Linee Aeree Transcontinentali Italiane) over the routes of Southern Atlantic Ocean (Brazil/Argentina/Equador).
    3 new different GMax models, covering 3 different versions of the civilian S.79 described above and featuring the standard animated parts, such as all flight controls, props pitch and leading-edge slats. Ten (10) different liveries depicting all the S.79CS team which flew the 1937 Istres-Damascus-Paris Race, the 1938 Roma-Rio de Janeiro Expedition and 1939 Transatlantic Test flight. This plane was originally developed for FS9 (in another separated release). VC only. GMax Models and Skins by Manuele Villa & Italianwings.Installation instructions included.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-13_02.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	37328 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-12_01.jpg 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	37327 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-BRUN_4.jpg 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	37326

CREDITS:

For CS & T Versions : FS9/FSX Model rebuild & modifications, VC rebuild and animations by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa.
    Original textures by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa.
    Pilot models by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa.
    For I-ROTR (I-12): Original CFS3 GMAX model by Mr. Luca Festari & Mr. Pietro Zazzetta (Italianwings).
    FS9 conversion, model modifications, VC rebuild and animations by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa.
    Original textures by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa.
    Pilot models by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa.
    Flight dynamics derived from original ones by FSAviator.
    Gauges: many of the Italian gauges in this panel were created from scratch or radically modified from freeware items by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa, other gauges are from Mr. Stefano "PcMeneg" Meneghini and Mr. Hauke "KeDI" Keitel.
    Bubble Sextant by Dave Bitzer and Mark Beaumont (Freeware).
    Handling notes and tutorials from original by FSAviator.
    Aircraft descriptions and history by Manuele "MVG3D" Villa.
    Sounds by Mr. Stefano "PcMeneg" Meneghini.
    Translations by Mr. Stefano "Kelticheart" Denti & Mr. Umberto Sciacchetano.
    Beta-Testing by PVI-Roma (Piloti Virtuali Italiani).
    Screenshots by Mr. Huub Vink.

SPECIAL THANKS:
    To my Greek friend Mr. N.Daskalakis for his precious help. Very special thanks to ALL the Sim-Outhouse members for their support and suggestions.

Last edited by mvg3d; April 21st, 2016 at 12:00.

This looks a real Goodie,

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    This looks a real Goodie,
    would it be ok to convert some of your planes in to native fsx models? using Model convert x
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

hi manuele,

where can I find the exact flightplans for Istres-Damascus-Paris (Lindberg Cup)" 1937 air race

or where the non-stop point to point?

and for Ala Littoria S.A.- Linee Aeree Atlantiche, later called L.A.T.I./Linee Aeree Transcontinentali Italiane) over the routes of Southern Atlantic Ocean (Brazil/Argentina/Equador).
    which airports where involved?

thanks in advance,
    Thomas

Here is some info I had on the race. History, route, background etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nly72lcj0s...0Race.pdf?dl=0

Thanks to Manuele and all involved, great looking aircraft

Wim

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Txmmy83 View Post
    hi manuele,

where can I find the exact flightplans for Istres-Damascus-Paris (Lindberg Cup)" 1937 air race

or where the non-stop point to point?

and for Ala Littoria S.A.- Linee Aeree Atlantiche, later called L.A.T.I./Linee Aeree Transcontinentali Italiane) over the routes of Southern Atlantic Ocean (Brazil/Argentina/Equador).
    which airports where involved?

thanks in advance,
    Thomas
    Hi Thomas,
    You'll find all the maps with routes and waypoints in the "History CS&T" (pdf) in the folder "DOCS" within the folder "Savoia Marchetti S.79CS MVG".

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    would it be ok to convert some of your planes in to native fsx models? using Model convert x
    Hi Cirrus,
    Unfortunately I have no experience in modelling FSX native planes, if someone is interested in a conversion I can give him the source files...

It looks great. And historical docs also; I love it. Thanks.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by mvg3d View Post
    Hi Cirrus,
    Unfortunately I have no experience in modelling FSX native planes, if someone is interested in a conversion I can give him the source files...

i would use a program to convert it :-) just need to download the plane and thats all the files i need
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Grazie Manuele !!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-4-23_23-44-50-199.jpg  
    The more you do, the less you dream

Sorci verdi? (Green mice?)

Are photos always correct? I came across these pictures. The pictures show the "Sorci verdi", but somehow the look more as "Sorci bianco"....

<strike></strike>

It clearly shows you can not always trust photographs, and I can assure you: the green mice, were really green! And there are many pictures to prove this.

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries

Bravo Huub!!!

Bravo Huub!!!

You just proved a point I am always contentious about... YOU CAN'T TRUST PHOTOS!!! or for that matter,
    artists' illustrations...

Indeed the emblem of the squadron does show green mice... The photos you show... even though Ferrania color
    existed about the same time as Kodak color... probably is a recolored black and white print ... remember that in the late
    1930s color pictures were not that common or available in terms of cost... and maybe the photo retoucher made a mistake...

As a bit of trivia..... The most likely story is, during the Spanish Civil War (1937) Lt. Aurelio Pozzi (who earned the Italian Military Valor Gold Medal or Medaglia d'Oro al Valor Militare [sort of the Italian Blue Max]
    would have designed the 3 mice emblem after having heard an NCO exclaim in purely Roman Dialect (the word for mice in Italian is really TOPI): ”Domani annamo su Barcellona e je famo vede' li sorci verdi”,
    (which in Italian should be "Domani andiamo su Barcellona e li facciamo vedere I topi Verdi"... OR "Tomorrow we fly over Barcelona and make them see the green rats", meaning "We'll scare the crap out of them"
    and ever since the expression has come to mean that in modern Italian... Fare vedere i sorci verdi... (Make someone see the green rats is to scare the scheisse out of them)

By the way... your quip should be... "sorci bianchi"... "not sorci bianco"... unlike English... Italian declines adjectives too.... both in gender and number... like one white mouse... un topo bianco... two white mice... Due topi BIANCHI...

Ciao for now,
    G.

A beautiful model of a beautiful classic aircraft Manuele!

Icon22

A little history for the Green Mices :

The 205th Bombardment Squadron was the first Regia Aeronautica unit to receive the new SIAI-Marchetti S.M. 79 in October 1936.
    The "Hunchback", as it was nicknamed by its crews, was a modern and efficient bomber for its time, although its origin as a mail transport aircraft showed.
    There is debate and disagreement about the origin of one of the most renowned unit markings in the Italian Air Force. Three mice standing on their back legs, engaged in a petty conversation while winking at each other.
    The most reliable thesis attributes the origin of this symbol during the Spanish Civil War. In March 1937, Lieutenant Jr. Aurelio POZZI drew three green mice after hearing a non-commissioned officer saying in his native Roman dialect: "Tomorrow we'll fly over Barcellona and we'll show them see green mice!", meaning "we'll scare them out of their wits."

On next September 7th, Air Force General Valle issues the following:
    "The Green Mice symbol (with the three standing mice), marking the three aircraft which participated to the international air race Istres-Damascus-Paris, is to become the official 12th Stormo badge."

The name became famous when the team headed by Crnl. Biseo and Capt. Bruno Mussolini ranked the first three places in the air race Istres-Damascus-Paris, and even more after the January 1938 Guidonia-Dakar-Rio de Janeiro flight (from Wikipedia).

As a further historical note, apparently the saying "showing to someone the green mice" was used first in 19th century Roman prose writings, with the meaning of "Seeing something extraordinary/incredible".
    It seems that such saying has an even more ancient origin as the name/nickname of a Roman Legion.

In current Italian language it has the meaning of "Giving someone a real tough time".

This unit marking also originated another quite famous unit marking in the Italian Air Force, still in use nowadays. It happened when the 51st Fighter Group, equipped with the then new Fiat G-50, intercepted S.M.79 bombers of the 12th Stormo during a training exercise over the skies of Roma, just before WWII broke out. The rivalry between bomber and fighter units was strong at the time, as fighter pilots regarded themselves as the "cream of the crop" elite in the Air Force.
    Since the exercise outcome was a full success for the 51st fighter unit, which achieved a total disruption of the S.M.79's bomb runs, keeping them from accomplishing their mock bombing exercise goals, the new 51th Gruppo badge became a black cat capturing in its claws three green mice, the badge of the 12th Bomb Group.

Name:	emblema-51st.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	37490 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMI_51St_1.gif 
Views:	0 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	37491 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMI_51St_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	37492

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Are photos always correct? I came across these pictures. The pictures show the "Sorci verdi", but somehow the look more as "Sorci bianco"....

<strike></strike>

It clearly shows you can not always trust photographs, and I can assure you: the green mice, were really green! And there are many pictures to prove this.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Hi Huub,
    The pic is "brutally" colored, not only the colors of Sparviero are wrong, but also the R.A. flight suit color is wrong (the "famous" Marus suit was light brown and NOT grey) !!!

Name:	19.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	37493 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuta%20volo%202%20.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	37494

Manuele,

Thanks for the explanation about the three mice and the cat from 51st Fighter unit. I knew the badge of the fighters but I never had made link with the three mice

Huub

I love the trousers those guys are wearing. Taken as a whole.. there's probably enough spare material to make another 5 pairs!

ATB
    DaveB

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I love the trousers those guys are wearing. Taken as a whole.. there's probably enough spare material to make another 5 pairs!
    ATB
    DaveB

Name:	Torpedocrew.jpg 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	37497 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pilots5.jpg 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	37498

I take it that's the true colour of their flying suits.. not the blue (one size fits all) suits shown by the crew standing next to the S.79? Wonder if the S.79 shot was hand coloured? This was certainly popular in the UK after the war. I've got a couple of wedding phots of mom and dad.. one is B&W, the other looks like the same shot but hand coloured. Things can get a bit lost in colour translation
    ATB
    DaveB

I guess the pictures from the museum show the real colours. It reminds me to the song Baggy trousers by the band Madness......

The colour picture above is most probably made from the black & white picture below. Both were found on the internet, so I can't tell you anything more.

Cheers,
    Huub

For those who haven't tried it yet: There is an awful lot of water between Dakar and Natal

I'm afraid that navigation isn't my strongest point (yet) .

Yup.. the poses are identical aren't they. Good effort at colouring it though. Pity whoever did it didn't know what the real colours should have been.

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries

Plural of mouse is mice...

Not mices... common mistake of foreign English speakers... btw... aircraft.. the plural is aircraft... not aircrafts...
    another common error seen around here.. lol
    and the worst of all... THIS AMONGST NATIVE ENGLISH speakers... HANGARS are for aircraft.. HANGERS are for clothes...

G.

Members who have read this thread: 1