Branching out to jet fighters

Thread: Branching out to jet fighters

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Branching out to jet fighters

Have CFS3 with all the expansions,(plus 2 heavily modded) , OFF BHAH and Il-2 '46 (heavily modded) . Looking to expand from WWI,WWII and Korea to more modern jets. Know SOH doesn't cover much past Microsoft's sims . Just wandering if anyone here has any experience with Third Wire's Strike Fighters 2 series ? SF2 looks promising,fun and there are many add ons at CombatACE. Their pricing is very reasonable and i could collect them each at a price cheaper than most MS flight payware add ons . Wanted to check here because at other sites members are quite biased (the same as Il-2 '46). A lot of people at other flight sim sites have a poor opinion, (uneducated), about CFS3. I always preach the gospel of CFS3 on all the "other" flight sim sites i go to. Thanks for any help. Regards ,Scott

If you want to fly jets, especially 50's to 70's, which is what it was developed for, it's very good, I like it, but don't compare it to CFS3, it's a very different animal!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Have to agree with you on that John!

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. I'll get started getting some of SF2 but my first love is CFS3. CFS3 just can't be beat for what it is in my opinion.

CFS3 still has a lot going for it. Keep it going, keep improving. IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Looking to get Flaming Cliffs 3 and Falcon 4.0-(updated/modded). Had installed Lock-on and liked it after most of the bugs were worked out,( on my dead gaming rig). Wish there was more out there but we are just a small community compared to the arcade/fps crowd . We get little attention by the big companies. Happy that there are still a few good combat flight sims out there and some old ones that has been upgraded and improved. CFS3 will always be close to my heart though. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    I know nowt about it but DCS looks quite decent, if you must go for those noisy smelly jet things...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...en-shot-thready
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    ...those noisy smelly jet things...
    Ever stand downwind of a big radial engine? Hercules or Centaurus f'rinstance. Phewwee!

Bristol Hercules start-up, IWM Duxford Flying Legends 2015
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Actually yes Tom! But the reciprocating engine however raw is so much more civilised than a 'jet'!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

The jet engine is for one purpose: to burn as much fuel in as short a time as possible. They typically meet that brief.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thirdwire is the way to go but........ il2-SAS mods include the jets most recent is a f-105 Thud. No actual pit but fun to fly in that sim. Plenty others out there too and they keep hitting on new variants of ww2 early jets. Most recent yesterday was an ArADo 234 jet stripped down to the recon model. So that is a good route too. But CFS3 will have stuff in the future.

Blog Entries
    DCS Flaming Cliffs 3 looks simply amazing . Will wait till my new pc is built and will get it along with the whole Strike Fighter series. Must have the latest WOFF too as it looks outstanding. Does anyone have a spare $1000 laying around ?
    Last edited by sixstrings5859; May 9th, 2016 at 07:39.

You can't have enough flight sims! I've got cfs3, il2 1946 and thirdwire's sf gen 1 and gen 2 games. Go get!!

Blog Entries
    The only problem is trying to memorizing all the different key layouts. Falcon 4.0,( BMS 4.33 modded), is the most intense flight sim i've yet to try. You're right ,we can never have too many combat flight sims !

I can't think of a more enjoyable way of scrambling your brains than switching between sims!!!

Blog Entries
    Funny but oh so true !

Blog Entries
    I have Il-2 '1946 (heavily modded) and enjoy it very much. But i like CFS3 Korea and other CFS3 expansions even more. Just wish creating missions were as easy as Il-2.

Blog Entries
    Running LOMAC updated , Free Falcon 6 and Falcon4.0 BMS 4.33 U1. About to get a couple of the SF 2 sims this week. What joy !!

SF2 is excellent, and there is a lot of add-on stuff for free... Like every other sim, there's a fair amount of dross, but equally, a fair amount of good stuff!

I've actually modified the keyboard/HOTAS layouts in CFS2, CFS3 and SF2 to duplicare each other where possible. Needless to say, SF2 has more functions and gets more complicated, but once you get the hang of it, for post-1950 air combat, you'll never come back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Members who have read this thread: 0