What software is needed to start repainting in FSX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What software is needed to start repainting in FSX?

What software is needed to start repainting in FSX?

I like to do a couple of repaints for the Vertigo F8F and the Carter P-51. What software do I need? The specific aircraft are the F8F Bearcat belonging to Mr. Bill Fornof and his P-51. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corkey-40[1].jpg   _corkey100_0499_edited.jpg  

Either Photoshop or Paint.net are your best choices. The former can be quite expensive, the latter is free. Both enable you to use layers and will save your images in .dds format, which is essential for FSX and P3D. A bit of a learning curve on either one, but well worth the effort.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Blog Entries

Interesting question...

Your question picked my curiosity... for a couple of reasons...
    To wit: 1) the subject matter seems to require a certain level of graphics skills and/or talent...
    and the logical corollary... at least in my estimation... is 2) how can someone with the requisite skills and/or talent
    be up to the task and have no idea what painting program to use....???

In other words, to do justice to the job at hand, one has to be able to work with layers, opacity, and a good number
    of graphic execution parameters...albeit a modicum of talent... and a person who is thusly endowed... SHOULD per force be familiar with graphics manipulation programs
    like PSP or Photoshop... or a reasonable facsimile thereof.. Succinctly... it is not the brush... but the painter handling
    it that matters...

Basically... there is no ONE program specifically endowed to do the task... IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE REASONABLE RESULTS... what is necessary
    is THOROUGH FAMILIARITY with one such program... in other words... KNOW WHAT ONE IS DOING... if you do... anything that allows the aforementioned
    manipulation parameters WILL DO... if not... it will be like a so so driver handling a Ferrari... a waste of money... (for good programs like Photoshop, unless pirated,
    will set one back more than a couple of shekels... On the other hand... if one is a budding "repaint artist" it can be a worthwhile investment to shell out those few
    shekels for GREAT future results... an money well spent... In any case, the best deal would be to TRY out one of those fancy programs and buy it if it suits your needs
    and ability... REALLY.. no matter what I or anyone can advise... will be only on the basis of our needs and abilities... so let yourself decide what is best for you...

G.

What goucho said...
    Actually any paint program will do...provided the user knows how to use it.
    Yes, even MSPaint.
    Just google that one for some quite spectacular woks done with it.

Meanwhile...I'm laid up typing lefy handed so no painting for a bit....was uner the knife on Thursday...right hand all plastered up...

GIMP is an excellent freeware graphics editing program with a lot of tools and available plugins.

Cheers,

And there's Paintshop Pro: can be bought quite cheaply, especially if a version or two back. Unlike Photoshop which will cost you many shekels indeed, even secondhand. Many shekels...

But give it a go!
    Last edited by hairyspin; April 15th, 2016 at 08:09.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Forgot to mention...my weapon of choice is PSP6 ...an oldie but a goodie....
    ...and DXTBmp for Extended BMP or DDS working....

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    GIMP is an excellent freeware graphics editing program with a lot of tools and available plugins.

Cheers,
    This. It rivals photoshop in almost every way. And where it doesn't, you'll find a plugin to fill that gap.

Once Vertigo have their site back up you should be able to get the paint kit for the F8-F, which will make repainting easier, so long as your bitmap editor can read it (probably Photoshop .PSD format).
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Once Vertigo have their site back up you should be able to get the paint kit for the F8-F, which will make repainting easier, so long as your bitmap editor can read it (probably Photoshop .PSD format).
    i use Paint Shop Pro 8 and dxt bmp
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    What goucho said...
    Actually any paint program will do...provided the user knows how to use it.
    Yes, even MSPaint.
    Just google that one for some quite spectacular woks done with it.

Meanwhile...I'm laid up typing lefy handed so no painting for a bit....was under the knife on Thursday...right hand all plastered up...
    Under your present circumstances I guess you should consider GIMP(Y) .........
    My bad, but I couldn't resist it.
    Hope your op went well and you get your hand operational soon.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Either Photoshop or Paint.net are your best choices. Both ... will save your images in .dds format...
    To be strictly accurate, Photoshop needs the free nVidia plugin which is excellent. Paint.NET has .dds handling built in. Paint Shop Pro can also use the nVidia plugin, or it did with PSP 8 and X when I used them.

I believe there's a dds plugin for the Gimp too.
    Tom

Like Jafo I use an older version of Paint Shop Pro (I'm stuck to version 7) and use (free) DTXbmp from Martin Wright to convert the textures to an extended format.

As I have some compatibility issues with Windows10 I should move on to Gimp, which is most probably as good (and perhaps even better) than PSP7. And perhaps the best of all: it is well supported and freeware.

Now if I only could find a good tutorial how to work on several layers in Gimp...................

Cheers,
    Huub

I've been painting on and off since CFS 1 was the hot new sim using a variety of paint programs. These days, I mainly use Paint.net with the Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro plugins so I can open .psd and .psp files, but I do the majority of my work in Paint.net. While I do have Photoshop 7 and PSP 10 installed, I just don't use them that much. And there's an older program, Photosuite IV, that I used for years, but it doesn't do layers. However there are a few things that I still use it for.

Huub, I tried Gimp, but found Paint.net to be more to my liking (I finally figured out how to do layers with it). Give it a look. It's free and there are tons of plug ins.

Willy
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

HarleyDude..

If you need a copy of the VS F8F paint kit, I can upload a copy for you. It's not the friendliest kit I've ever worked with even though there are only 2 main maps.
    ATB
    DaveB

one more vote for Gimp

Any painting program has a learning curve so expect to be awhile before you are a master at it.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Incidentally.. PS Elements won't open it without errors. You need at least CS2 (or equivalent)
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    HarleyDude..

If you need a copy of the VS F8F paint kit, I can upload a copy for you.
    Actually Dave, would you please upload it anyway, I got the F8-F just last month. Thanks!
    Tom

Sure It's around 98mb so it'll take a fair bit of coal to get it up the line. I'll start now and add a link when it's ready

EDIT: Grab it HERE

ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; April 16th, 2016 at 08:45. Reason: link added

Blog Entries
    I started painting for the sim 2 years ago. When i wanted to start i had absolutely no idea what i needed or even what i was doing. But still i learned as i went. My paints have gotten better and better, as i am sure many painters here have as well.
    I dont run with a college degree in computers, or programing. And i still dont know everything about painting planes for the sim. when i get stuck on something, i ask, and try to follow what i was told to achieve the look i am trying for.

I paid out the money for Photoshop CS6, and yes it was well worth the money as i do alot of custom paints and am always adding things to suit my own scenery.

Like Goucho said. No one can say what program will work best for you. The best advice for this is to try each one out (Like a test drive). find the one that works best for you, and use it. Some programs are very expensive, others work just as well and are free. Link Gimp just to name one.
    And never be afraid to ask question or ask for help when you get stuck. Some out here will come back with an answer.
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Got it Dave, much obliged!

You can often download a 30-day trial version of payware to give it a whirl. That helped me settle on a secondhand Photoshop CS4 licence, but I have other uses for it apart from aircraft skins to justify the shekels.
    Tom

I can vouch for the Goucho's advice, I think the key problem you will face is getting used to using a paint program and textures, namely mouse control (not to mention what does what) and textures (format, layering, opacity etc). I am a complete novice and have so far restricted myself to a few VC or internal texture changes and have yet to do the whole outside. Lots and lots of practice. Chose a real simple aircraft too to play around with (DXT Bitmap will let you look at the textures before sending them onto a paint program.

I tried the GIMP liked it but too complex for me and I did not have the money to spend on photoshop so I am using Paint.net, seems ok, does layers and lots more but I am still finding out what is what.

Oh yeah, have a pad and paper handy and record what steps you take, it is very easy to get lost in what texture layer and format your in sometimes (well it is for me) so I find it important to keep track of what I do.

I have also found that a lot of stuff on Youtube is interesting and there sure are a lot six year olds doing it with FSX skins so it is not that hard, but then again, I am not six, my eyes are not what they used to be and well I prefer tinkering with coded files and doing stuff to the general model rather than paint but I need the skill to work on some vintage cockpits to get them correct to the real thing as best I can just for authenticity.

Yep and practice, practice, practice.

Blog Entries
    I've read all of the above and figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Your desire to dive into the "well", and begin learning to paint is admirable. It is a very deep well, but can be approached in steps...all of which are rewarding and enjoyable. I began in Photoshop/Corel Paint in 1993, bringing in 50 years of airbrush experience to boot, so I may have had a tiny advantage. Over the years, I have added and updated software to the point where my studio is very comfortable and capable. It's been pricey at times, but when amortized over a long period of time it's not been extremely painful.

As the others have stated, there are a number of programs that you can start with to become familiar with the technical aspects of creating models and textures. The ABC's are fairly straight forward and there is a wealth of help out there to draw from. I would strongly suggest beginning to explore GMAX to learn how the model influences the paint. It's free and a bucket load of fun.

As you progress with learning technique and tech, you can start looking at the more sophisticated programs, and perhaps begin saving your shekels to dive in more deeply. If your patience and sanity endure the learning process, you will begin to produce more and more elaborate pieces until one day you will realize that you are a full fledged "painter.

The good news is that there are always new programs being added which enhance the process. For fun, go look at Quixel and watch their promo videos. This peripheral for Photoshop allows the painter to import a complete 3D model into PS and paint in real three dimensional space, in real time, with full lighting effects that allow the painter to view their "finished" work as it will appear in the real world/sim while still in Photoshop. I recently plunked down the coin to add this to my quiver and am wondering how I got along without it before.

All of us here are always willing to lend our experience and advice to those seeking instruction or simple advice.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    ... For fun, go look at Quixel and watch their promo videos. This peripheral for Photoshop allows the painter to import a complete 3D model into PS and paint in real three dimensional space...
    Steady Gordon, you need a version of the model source files for that, surely? FBX format, for example. Let's get the guy walking before he tries the high jump!
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Steady Gordon, you need a version of the model source files for that, surely? FBX format, for example. Let's get the guy walking before he tries the high jump!
    Yeah...maybe I jumped the shark a little.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 1