From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Wish I could be there to see that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Wish I could be there to see that.
    Wish I could be on it...
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Sweet yet sad at the same time. I've always wondered why the designers opted for such a strange angle for the forward cockpit windows though...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I've always wondered why the designers opted for such a strange angle for the forward cockpit windows though...
    I have the book "The Boeing 247" by F. Robert van der Linden, and it says the idea of the forward raked windscreen was to reduce daytime glare and to to keep the gauges from reflecting off the glass at night. It also created extra drag and tended to reflect light off the ground at night so the idea did not stick.

Attached are three contemporaries of the 247 that I can think of that have the forward design. The Lockheed 10 prototype, Stinson Model A and Air Couzinet 10 v2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lockheed 10 Prototype.jpg   Stinson A.jpg   Couzinet 10.jpg  

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    At about the two-minute mark into that video there is offered a stunning contrast between what was, and what now is. Take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Attached are three contemporaries of the 247 that I can think of that have the forward design. The Lockheed 10 prototype, Stinson Model A and Air Couzinet 10 v2.
    Ah I see now. Thanks for the detailed information. I was thinking mostly about the increased drag, but never considered the instrument reflections.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    At about the two-minute mark into that video there is offered a stunning contrast between what was, and what now is. Take a look.
    I noticed that; I also noticed what appeared to be a rather hasty and fast taxi out of the camera's range!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Members who have read this thread: 0