This is one for Harleyman or Texnetcop probably, although someone else might read this and have it ring a bell as well.

For about a month now, when I first start the computer in the morning I get a clicking sound. . .not constant, but in sets of 6, then a pause, then another set and a pause and so on. This goes on while the computer is initializing only. Once it finally goes to the windows startup screen, the clicking stops. Nor is there any more clicking for the entire time it's on, which is usually until midnight.

My first thought was that the HDD was going on me. But I got down by the tower (with the cover off) and listened. It was not coming from the HDD, it was coming from somewhere towards the back of the tower. I even moved my fingers around on the components in an effort to "feel" the clicks, but nothing I touched gave back any sense that it was the one clicking.

If I turn the computer off and let it set for a few minutes, it will reboot perfectly, no clicking. The only time it does this is first thing every morning. After that, I couldn't get it to click if my life depended on it, lol.

Does this sound even vaguely familiar to anyone?