Around 10 AM two German majors from the Luftwaffe climbed in a Bf108 Taifun. The pilot was the fifty-two-year-old base commander of Loddenheide airfield, near Münster. He had offered to bring his two year younger colleague a major from the Fallschirmjaeger (Airborne troops) to Köln, as the pilot wanted to visit his wife. The pilot didn't know what information his passenger was carrying, otherwise he might had reconsidered his offer. The sun was shining over the snow covered field and there were no signs that this flight, from less than an hour, would end in the history books.

Most likely one of my most boring repaints, but the story behind it could be the start from a book by John de Carré or a James Bond movie.............

I have based my repaint on the pictures I was able to find. Most sources state that there are only 3 pictures. So these are most probably all.

Based on the pictures I think the aircraft model was painted "RLM63 Hellgrau" (light gray) overall. As the model still had the large "Messerschmitt Taifun" logos on both side of the fuselage, I don't think it was painted in an camouflage scheme. The real aircraft obviously had the usual registration at the bottom of the wings, but due to the limitation of the model and texture alay-out this can't be done.

For those who read will read the story behind the incident and wonder why nobody did anything with the information given by the Belgians. You must see this in the light from an incident which took place 2 months earlier. The Venlo incident where the German "Sicherheitsdienst" created a trap for the British Secret Service. But here were no aircraft involved, so when you are curious just Google.....

Cheers,
Huub