We're still a few miles short of the interception point and climbing more gentry through about twenty thousand when I hear the crump of nearby Ack Ack fire. The enemy seems to have expanded their bridgehead into Suffolk and now, their fire tracks us as we fly on.

Irritated rather than alarmed, I check with the TAC/Controller. This confirms that the raid is coming in just left of our track, near the coast at Orfordness.

I leave the TAC on and next second, Bogies are reported, just ahead. The skies are clear at our level, so they must be below us. This looks like our target!

This is it! I snap out a series of attack orders, then chop the throttle and spiral down after the Huns. There's a long way to go - the enemy aircraft are at about five thousand. I pick up on one as I come down. They're very hard so see against the ground but I reckon they're Messerschmitt 110s, possibly fighter bombers supporting their ground troops.

By the time I get down to their level, the first kill is being claimed over the R/T. The air fight has quickly spread out - there are aircraft all over the shop. One of the boys reports he's re-joining, so instead, I send him after my own target, trying to ignore the Ack Ack fire.

This is all a bit confusing, but so far as I can tell, it seems to be going reasonably well for us...so far.

...to be continued!