I think the starting point is that having ported a bunch of FSX a/c in a rush I may not have also brought over the relevant effects files and placed them in P3D4.

However, having now addressed that, I continue to fail utterly to get any engine smoke to appear or when I want it to. Have set the "I" key to turn it on or off but nothing showing. Some may say smoke is over done in FS but perhaps they never flew behind a pair of J-79's!

Afterburners present an additional issue - I think - because some of the better FSX set-ups - e.g. by Jafo, etc - have a 32 bit xml file in the panel that regulates the AB from the throttle setting - as one would want so it comes on at or near 100% throttle - rather than the more lame way of having it work with the lights.

Lastly, have put together some fun custom AI - carrier ops off Vietnam with the old AS Big E planted at Yankee station. For my AI F-4s (AS native FX models) I tried to borrow the AB and smoke setup in Michael Pearson's AI Phantoms which in FSX would start smoke on startup/taxi, then switch on the AB on takeoff roll and cut out during climb out. Perfect. Except in P3D4 my Phantoms switch the AB on for startup/taxi and switch if OFF at the start of take off roll. DOH! The effects are set in the air.cfg lights section the same way as in FSX. Does P3D change the light "type" or something to cause this. Anyone tackled this stuff yet?