I have been having a blast flying Manfred Jahn's outstanding L-1049 Super G "Connie" in FSX. I could not find either a decent American Overseas Airways or Delta repaint for it, so I did my own. The texture bitmaps in FSX are slightly different from the FS9 version, so a straight across texture copy will not work, even though the FS9 bitmaps and the FSX bitmaps bear the same names. . However, I have an issue with my FSX repaints that is not visible in the liveries for EAL, KLM, and TWA that come with the aircraft. Please note, this issue is not visible in the FS9 version (I use both FS9 and FSX)...I don't know why?

Immediately behind the forward antenna mast on the roof...about where the astrodome would be if equipped...there is a black square on my repaints. That square is not there on the "stock" liveries I mentioned above. If their roof is white that square is white. If metal, then the square is metal colored. Mine are both black (Delta's roof is white like EALs and AOA's is metal-colored like TWA-F) and I cannot for the life of me find that "square" on the texture bitmaps.

I have looked at these bitmaps as closely as I can, comparing my textures to the textures for liveries that came with the model that do not have black squares...fins_t.bmp, fuse_t.bmp, and wings_t.bmp which appear to be the three bitmaps for the aircraft exterior. I can find no white area on the EAL texture that is not white also on my Delta texture and I cannot find any area on the TWA-F texture that is metal-colored that is not also metal-colored on mine, yet my repaints have a black square and the "factory" repaints don't. There are also four other bitmaps besides the three above and the ones for the vc, but all of these are identical in all of the textures, regardless of skin color...floor_2.bmp, propdisk.bmp (tips have different colors, but map is same in all), shade_01.bmp, and xxcal_121.bmp.

I have looked at the four models that come with the download; model.1049vc_rs, model.1049vc_rst, model.1049vc_s, and model.1049vc_st with MCX and I can see the square on all four model (r=radar nosecone, s=spinner afterbodies, and t-tiptanks), but that gives me no clue as to where the square is on the texture sheets...or maybe it would if I had a better understanding of MCX

Anyone have any ideas about where this elusive "square of color" could be hiding.

Randy