NVIDIA Driver Update FYI - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NVIDIA Driver Update FYI

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    QUESTION: I have a year or two old hi end system, running a factory o'c'd GTX 780. My drivers are the same ones it shipped with - 335.23.

Is it worth updating them? I have never found any improvement in FSX from driver updates. Only change them when there is a problem. If it ain't broke . .

If it ain't broke don't fix it..... I update my drivers about once a year out of shear boredom...just makes more work for nothing.

I'm in Win7 64 at 1680x1050 resolution.
    I'll post my P3D settings asap.

Win 7 64 here w/ FSX-SE GTX 970 1920x1080. Just installed 365.10 and flew Ant's T-28 from Santa Monica to Burbank thru Orbx SCA downtown LA. Had a good smooth, solid 25-45fps w/ no stutters. Will be interesting to see how it goes with Aerosoft LA Cities X. Would appreciate any Inspector Profile settings if you have a similar rig.

Obie

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Daube,

BTW...I did the shaders mod and got into a lot of ugly issues. I ended requiring a complete, clean re-install of v3.2 to get rid of it. I looked for the same in FSX/ST (no shader tweaks), and no problems. The shader tweak did not like my install....atall.
    Me too, the complete black screen was a bit much!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The shader tweak didn't produce any issues, but I've seen a lot of users complaining about having problems... However, most of them:
    - didn't realize that mod was limited to P3Dv3.2 only (they had 3.1 for example...)
    - didn't delete the shader files to force a regeneration
    - didn't realize they needed to wait several seconds, up to a full minutes, until the black screen would progressively transform into the sim picture during the shaders recompilation...

On my computer, despite the SSDs for both the OS and the sim (I don't even know if it's related anyways...), it takes more than 40 seconds until the picture is fully displayed. First I get a black screen, then turns to light blue, then the buildings and taxiways appear, then autogen (all floating in the air), the clouds, and FINALLY much later the ground textures appear. Of course, this happens only during the very first launch after shader files deletion. The subsequent launches take normal time.

Version 365.19 has just launched.

Dave

Blog Entries
    lol...

yeah...I updated the update. Still alive.

I understand the logic that says "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and agree that it is conservative approach. I do the updates to ensure that my WIP work, which uses very aggressive applications of the available tools, remains stable in the most current environment.
    Also, there were a batch of drivers that seriously broke my video editing software (fixed now), so it remains necessary to consider software outside of FSX or P3D when applying the updates as well.

The approach certainly does come with some inherent risks, so I assume the risk with each update...and make sure there's ample Vodka in the freezer.

I kind of keep hoping to see NVIDIA support for either FSX or P3D in the games list, but so far no joy.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Personally, I don't really care if NVidia would support FSX or P3D or whatever.
    I would just like them to make their stupid drivers work as they should. And if I set the antialiasing mode to "Override application settings", the driver should OVERRIDE the application settings and apply the settings I set in the profile.
    How difficult is that anyways ?
    I can't believe NVidia devs can't keep control of their drivers. What kind of dark magic does MS and LM use in the sim to override the overridden driver settings ? This is driving me insane sometimes....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I like to live dangerously. At least on the software side and when a new version has the potential for performance or stability improvements.
    The daily updates you receive in some Linux distributions are awesome. I could swear that since installing Arch for the first time, the OS got leaner and faster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    What kind of dark magic does MS and LM use in the sim to override the overridden driver settings ? This is driving me insane sometimes....
    At the risk of offending those who wholeheartedly endorse Windows 10...my apologies in advance.

In my own personal experience, on my own unique system, every time Windows 10 updates (which is now mandatory/proprietary to the software) the following occurs:

My user account settings reset and delete all of my shared assignments to all of my folders. Each folder has to be reset individually and sequentially...I have over 500,000.
    All of my preferences, in all of my software/drivers return to default, including my Wacom Tablet/pen and all other peripherals.
    All of my over ridden preferences are negated and returned to MS default.
    The horridly annoying little pond ripple bubble that accompanies every tap of a tablet pen to the pad needs to be programed out...again, and the doubly horrid tool tip balloons refuse to leave, even though I have coded them out...repeatedly.

Believe me, I've invested hundreds of hours into the various remedies...only to have them overridden by the OS when the inevitable "Update and Shut Down" menu appears.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    At the risk of offending those who wholeheartedly endorse Windows 10...my apologies in advance.

In my own personal experience, on my own unique system, every time Windows 10 updates (which is now mandatory/proprietary to the software) the following occurs:
    <snip>
    Yes this is why I ordered my new machine w/ Win7. Historically it seems like ever other M/S OS is a real turkey. This lack of update sovereignty scares the cargo pants off me, not to mention the neverending licensing business model. If it proves that Win 10 or Win 11 is "all that" then I'll just pay for the upgrade.

Obie</snip>

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    Historically it seems like ever other M/S OS is a real turkey.
    Hmmm...

95 - okay
    98 - meh
    98SE - okay
    ME - meh
    XP - okay
    Vista - meh
    7 - okay
    8 - meh
    10 - okay

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Hmmm...

95 - okay
    98 - meh
    98SE - okay
    ME - meh
    XP - okay
    Vista - meh
    7 - okay
    8 - meh
    10 - okay

Well...
    my 23 years working with Microsoft operating systems (starting with Windows 3.11, DOS 6 and Windows NT 3.1) completely agree with this assessment of the client operating systems.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    my 23 years working with Microsoft operating systems (starting with Windows 3.11, DOS 6 and Windows NT 3.1) completely agree with this assessment of the client operating systems.
    Ah the good old days when you still knew what your computer did and the days your computer just did what you told it should do.........

But I can still remember a system I used in the 80-ties, which ran on Concurrent DOS. This OS already more or less made its own decisions. It should enable you to run an application simutaneously from several work stations. In most cases you were able to reach the application, but saving went more or less in a random order........ (very annoying!)

The system was replaced by a XENIX based server. I loved that one, stable and transparant.

Back to the subject, I received another message that there is an update available for my GeForce. I haven't installed it yet.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    I think it's an unwritten rule at MS to screw up every second OS they release.
    But Windows 10 fortunately seems to be the end of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I think it's an unwritten rule at MS to screw up every second OS they release.
    But Windows 10 fortunately seems to be the end of the line.
    Famous last words, perhaps?

Dave - not cynical in any way, you understand.....

Installed 340.52 latest for my gtx260. My FS9 sim does not like it.

Is this a shader issue?

What causes this? Is it correctable, or should I remove these drivers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-may-16-004.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-may-16-003.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-may-16-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-may-16-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Try the previous version of the 340 series drivers and see if the problem persists. If it does, it's the sim, if it doesn't, it was the driver.

Members who have read this thread: 0