Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FlyAway is hosting the new Dovetail Games flight sim vid

FlyAway is hosting the new Dovetail Games flight sim vid

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Hmmmmmmmmmm
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

A teaser without a single picture from the actual sim...

Interesting? No, not really.

As Daube states, it is not showing anything of the simulator itself. Too much 3rd party software, like the voices, taking the attention.

I will wait and see what the actual sim really looks like, once it is released. Now that will be interesting
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Interesting? No, not really.

As Daube states, it is not showing anything of the simulator itself. Too much 3rd party software, like the voices, taking the attention.

I will wait and see what the actual sim really looks like, once it is released. Now that will be interesting
    From reading the reactions posted below the video, it appears that the "Flight School" sim is a closed product. Not open to any aircraft or scenery addons beyond what it is packaged with. Strictly made to entice new pilots to take up Flight Simming and learn the basics of flight. Due out this month. The actual Flight Sim product will be out later this year, is expected to be 64 bit, which also means that few FSX/P3D products, if any will make the leap to the new sim.

I dont know anyone who doesn't already flightsim who hasn't heard of flight simulator. Maube really young kids...Why would I go to this vs simply buying FSX or P3D? The market seems a little small? Maybe its just me...I'm definitely impressed by the video...but I was also impressed by the MS Flight stuff until the actual product was released....once that happened it was horrible IMO...and then flopped about 2 months in....
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Why would I go to this vs simply buying FSX or P3D?
    Because it might be better?
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Because it might be better?
    Possible...but I imagine not very probable. Considering they are also releasing FS in 64 bit later on....it won't be as good because they want to turn around and buy the next one which for all purposes needs to be better because it the big one right? Do we know if the scenery is world wide? What aircraft are included? On the flip side, could be really good as far as recurrent training is concerned. Since it's expensive to fly in RL...I wonder if it will incorporte FAA PTS standards? If so, and a legit AI instructor could be fun to grade myself against PTS standards...time will tell.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    A teaser without a single picture from the actual sim...
    So 'click on the screenshots' at the bottom of the paragraph of text below the video did nothing for you?
    enter..the Sandman

Yes - this is new. So naturally it is to be despised out of hand. Thats reasonable...lol
    enter..the Sandman

It looks interesting because it is new, incorporates some new technology into the product
    and seems to be a fresh look compared to the now elderly 32bit FSX code..

if it brings new people to flight simming and no one is taking your FSX -P3D away from you, what harm is there
    in looking at a new product. Maybe even **gasp** giving it a try?
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Yes - this is new. So naturally it is to be despised out of hand. Thats reasonable...lol
    You've been here before! LOL
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    they are also releasing FS in 64 bit later on
    Well I was referring to the promised full DTG sim. No idea where the 'Flight School' thing is aimed. Maybe it's just a technology demonstrator while they work on the real thing.
    MarkH

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Well I was referring to the promised full DTG sim. No idea where the 'Flight School' thing is aimed. Maybe it's just a technology demonstrator while they work on the real thing.
    If you read previous posts, I mention what the "Flight School thing" is aimed at. Also if you watched the video (link provided in the first post) and then read the posts below it, you also were told what the Flight School is for. The Flight School Sim will be released this month. . .the full Sim (64 bit or so it appears) later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    So 'click on the screenshots' at the bottom of the paragraph of text below the video did nothing for you?
    Yes, but these shots are already known.
    I was talking about the video.
    And I'm more or less interested in DT Flight Simulator, but not interested at all in the DT Flight School, because that "sim" is not made for simmers, but only for absolute beginners which would like to discover the world of flight simulation.

DT Flight Simulator will be aimed at us, yes. Flight School is not.

And I just noticed the fine print and fleeting disclaimer at the beginning of the vid that states it is 'not ingame'
    so I apologize - it was early this morning when I saw the video.

I still think this offering from Dovetail looks interesting in a couple of ways and I wonder, with its different focus and appeal from the full simulator they are also due to release, what sort of price point this 'training' sim will come to market with...
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    If you read previous posts, I mention what the "Flight School thing" is aimed at. Also if you watched the video (link provided in the first post) and then read the posts below it, you also were told what the Flight School is for.
    Yep, your guess is as good as mine!
    MarkH

You can pre-order it for $15 US at the moment. Most of the info about Flight School and what little we've learned about about DTG Flight Simulator is on a thread at AVSim where Martin, the Community Manager for the project, has been answering questions, the poor soul.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

To be fair, Dovetail has used pre-rendered video for many of their advertisements in the past. I'm not the least bit surprised.

The brilliant interview in the current edition of PC Pilot does a great job of explaining the rationale behind this new product and others to follow. Pick up a copy or buy the download.

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

I believe their full, 64bit flight simulator, to be released at the end of the year will be massive (in terms of our niche market). No more ooms for the systems heavy tube-liner drivers, loads of new lighting effects... I just hope someone will find the key to port-over our FsX favourites.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I don't think Flyaway is hosting per se, I think they are just offering steam keys.

The actual steam sale site is at:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/441920

For my Canadian dollar steam account, the price is $16.99 Canadian, which isn't that much, and there are a number of interesting points mentioned. Only 64 bit versions of operating systems are supported, there is a free flight option to allow you to fly anywhere in the world, and the storage space required is 40 GB's.

But there's only two planes provided, a Super Cub and a Cherokee (I wonder who's did the 64 bit models?).

What makes this more interesting is the announcement from John Venema at Orbx a month ago:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...x-partnership/

..about Orbx's on-going partnership with DTG. I particularly found his comment interesting that, "we're confident that our terrain will look absolutely stunning in their enhanced 3D engine and provide a level of immersion unlike anything experienced before."

This Orbx announcement was under a banner of their FTXGlobal. So I wonder if that's why the 40 GB size. I also wonder if it will include 64 bit compatible Orbx Vector as well, and if a better quality higher resolution world wide terrain mesh than that in default FSX will be used.

If so, it would be interesting to see what 64 bit FTXGlobal world looks like. Too bad there aren't more , or perhaps more interesting, planes provide though.

Mind you, I'm so far down the FSX hole now in terms of add ons, I don;t think I could afford to buy everything new again at this late date.

Thanks - Rob

PS: did those links work? I'm so computer challenged at times.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    From reading the reactions posted below the video, it appears that the "Flight School" sim is a closed product. Not open to any aircraft or scenery addons beyond what it is packaged with. Strictly made to entice new pilots to take up Flight Simming and learn the basics of flight. Due out this month. The actual Flight Sim product will be out later this year, is expected to be 64 bit, which also means that few FSX/P3D products, if any will make the leap to the new sim.
    I read the same thing, also in the PCpilot article.

For me the interesting part will be how this "Flight School" looks and performs, as it will be an indication for the later this year to be released full flight simulator.

Oh, and for those wondering; I am not being negative, as a new Flight simulator is good for our hobby, and will hopefully draw new members to the community.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    ...I just hope someone will find the key to port-over our FsX favourites.
    ...because the DTG guy has already said they won't be compatible with the new sim as they are.
    Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0