MiG-21MF Progress Snapshot and Video

Thread: MiG-21MF Progress Snapshot and Video

MiG-21MF Progress Snapshot and Video

Hi everyone,

A while back, I posted a thread here asking for help in getting started upgrading the Ivan Jurcaga MiG-21MF, and several folks responded with what I needed - the missing "update 1" model with access to the radar screen area. Many thanks, you made this possible!

I haven't had as much free time as I'd have liked to work on this, but substantial progress has been made. I've put together some VC texture enhancements, added extensive cockpit sounds, overhauled the aircraft's systems for more authenticity, rebuilt the FDE from the ground up for much more accurate flight by the numbers, and added weapons. Also, not least, a realistic RP-21MA radar system.

I hope to get a beta out in the next few weeks for everyone to test. I'm working on an important revenue project through the middle of May, so I won't be able to put huge time into this until then, but I can respond to and accumulate suggestions for improvement and fixes.

In the meantime while you are waiting for the beta to appear, here's a YouTube video I posted of a demonstration flight using the current Alpha code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qur8eFFKdrk

Questions and comments welcome!

Enjoy!
    Dutch

Though I have no special interest for MiG21, this video is quite interesting...
    Nice work with the radar and weapons as also the other staff.
    For weapons you use Captain Sim's weapon addon, right ?

I'll definitely add beta of this plane in my hangar.
    My Military Flight Videos :

Very nice!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Impressive Dutch! Very interesting video!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by xpelekis View Post
    Though I have no special interest for MiG21, this video is quite interesting...
    Nice work with the radar and weapons as also the other staff.
    For weapons you use Captain Sim's weapon addon, right ?

I'll definitely add beta of this plane in my hangar.
    Hi Xpel!

Thanks. The RP-21 isn't totally complete. I need to add ground clutter, lock-on mode, and low altitude mode. It's frustrating that the radar control switches are inop so I had to take over the not-really-used transponder switches to control it. Also, even though I didn't show it in this video, the radar has a switchable RP-22 mode that extends the range and shows the typical RP-22 background image in place of the RP-21 one.

Yes, Captain Sim weapon is used here. I intend to add a Tacpack version also as time allows.

My next MiG-21 video will show a ground strike with S-5 rockets which will show some interesting things, such as ground units firing back.

Dutch

Very nicely done Dutch. I'm looking forward to the beta release.
    Mike M.​

Great work there! Can'take wait to get my hands on it!

SimWorks Studios

Alex Vletsas

3D Modeler & Animator
    http://www.simworksstudios.com
    http://www.facebook.com/SimWorksStudios

Fantastic job Dutch!!!

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed! A great idea/intention to add TacPac!

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    I intend to add a Tacpack version also as time allows.
    Yessss! You are the man! Thank you!

Hi all,

Okay, a version of the upgraded MiG-21MF is almost ready for some beta testing, but I am looking for a few good testers to install it first to see if I've done anything completely wrong.

If you are interested, send me a private message and I will respond with a link to the downloadable version of the beta candidate.

Once it's been installed and flown a few times with positive results, I'll open it up to a full public beta.

Like I said in my first message, I have limited time to work on this, but progress is being made.

Thanks for your interest and support,
    Dutch

I've always liked the MiG-21 and especially the Ivan Jurcaga MiG-21MF.
    Great video. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the mid-life upgrade.

Also nice to see the Captain Sim weapons package getting some use and in an appropriate aircraft.
    I also have Tacpack so looking forward to that option as well.

We now have five good pre-beta-testers taking a look. Once they point out whatever packaging blunders I may have made, I'll correct those and post a public link to the beta for any and everyone to try.

Dutch

After several issues have hopefully been corrected, here is the latest beta, free for anyone to download and install:

http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160425.zip

Several issues were fixed, including making the trim about half as sensitive, including an installer for the optional KLN90B GPS, and several smaller corrections.

Enjoy!
    Dutch

The download misses the gauge file for the RP21/22.

I've also added a few more notes to the thread on FSDev.

You are very right about the missing radar gauge.

Here is the update that includes it: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160427.zip

Thanks
    Dutch

Anyone know the spool time from idle to afterburner for a R-13?

I've redone the entire spool behaviour and set the time to around 10 seconds for now.

With a bit of XMLTools magic, the SPRD (JATO) also works as advertised now, including simplified tracking of canister weight.
    Still working on the SPS (boundary layer control) system and thinking about overhauling the drag chute handling.

I'll send any new modifications over to Dutch so that he can implement it into his upgrade at his discretion.

Still, because I've invested quite a bit of time into the model myself, I'm going to do my own upgrade as an alternative for people who do not own any of the two commercial weapons packages.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    Hi Xpel!

Thanks. The RP-21 isn't totally complete. I need to add ground clutter, lock-on mode, and low altitude mode. It's frustrating that the radar control switches are inop so I had to take over the not-really-used transponder switches to control it. Also, even though I didn't show it in this video, the radar has a switchable RP-22 mode that extends the range and shows the typical RP-22 background image in place of the RP-21 one.

Yes, Captain Sim weapon is used here. I intend to add a Tacpack version also as time allows.

My next MiG-21 video will show a ground strike with S-5 rockets which will show some interesting things, such as ground units firing back.

Dutch
    Someone called "UncleSalty" put out a Tacpacked version of the Ivan Jurcaga MiG-21MF here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...x-mig-21mf-tp/

Is this the same model you are working on? If so, perhaps you can include the Tacpack modifications in your version?

Also, would you consider reworking Ivan Jurcaga's MiG-21F-13 as well?

Yes, that's the model and I have downloaded that version and will consult it when it's time to add Tacpack. That will be after all the systems are working as well as I can get them.

Right now I'm working on making the configuration switches set the weights, and configure the weapons system, automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    Someone called "UncleSalty" put out a Tacpacked version of the Ivan Jurcaga MiG-21MF here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...x-mig-21mf-tp/

Is this the same model you are working on? If so, perhaps you can include the Tacpack modifications in your version?

Also, would you consider reworking Ivan Jurcaga's MiG-21F-13 as well?

Members who have read this thread: 0