NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

Thread: NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

Hybrid View

NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

I have done airfields before but only in FS9 so this is my first in FSX. I liked its combination of being both a land plane base and also a seaplane base. In FSX-Acceleration, like in real life, KNGZ is "NGZ" and is a closed airport. It is also being like NAS Glenview has been, is being made into a civilian area of housing and malls by the City of Alameda I discovered.

I have been to NAS Alameda both in 1970 when I returned from Vietnam and also in 1992 before it was officially closed down by the "Base Closures Committee" of Congress. Now that's the preamble for my post.

I started out to create NAS Alameda in 1942 by opening up the stock bgl for NGZ in FSX. I opened up the runways and from the photo added taxiways when they belong. I downloaded the OBx Grumman Goose over the weekend and just been kinda flying around looking for a home base. I looked for a seaplane base and found NAS Alameda. I had a 1990 photo with the runways added in 1959 (didn't realize the difference then). I went about today updating the bgl in ADE 1.6 and replacing some buildings with hangers. I thought I was done after the placement of the taxiway and runway signage. Not so fast "rocketpants" as Rod Machado says in the first lesson of FS9 (and also FSX). Thanks Scruffyduck for the fantastic program.

I searched the internet further, I discovered the 3 documents produced by the planners and the city with tons of photos and drawings old and new. Oh well, seems nothing is ever as simple as it seems. It looks like a lot more work will be needed to make this an accurate representation to release. How many of you guys would be interested in 2 versions of NAS Alameda with surrounding base scenery {1942 and 1960s) (as best as I can do anyway)? Let me know here how many of you would be interested and I will continue with the project and post updates as I progress toward its completion. BTW it's gonna be free as so many of you have shared with me. Will be a great place to fly the S2F etc. project aircrafts as well as all the other Navy aircraft of those eras. My way of giving back for all I have gotten here. Look forward to hearing who is as excited about NAS Almeda as I am.

I would be very interested, esp in the 1960's version. I was with a F8 squadron onboard USS Hancock. NAS Alameda was home port and was glad to get there after finishing many a cruise to the
    Tonkin Gulf (Viet-nam). I think that air field was used by a TV show called Mythbusters and they would do all sorts of experiments on the runway and hanger.
    Anyway, after we disembarked, we would catch a Navy R4Y from there to NAS Miramar.
    Do you plan of having any static or AI aircraft added for the period?

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I have done airfields before but only in FS9 so this is my first in FSX. I liked its combination of being both a land plane base and also a seaplane base. In FSX-Acceleration, like in real life, KNGZ is "NGZ" and is a closed airport. It is also being like NAS Glenview has been, is being made into a civilian area of housing and malls by the City of Alameda I discovered.

I have been to NAS Alameda both in 1970 when I returned from Vietnam and also in 1992 before it was officially closed down by the "Base Closures Committee" of Congress. Now that's the preamble for my post.

I started out to create NAS Alameda in 1942 by opening up the stock bgl for NGZ in FSX. I opened up the runways and from the photo added taxiways when they belong. I downloaded the OBx Grumman Goose over the weekend and just been kinda flying around looking for a home base. I looked for a seaplane base and found NAS Alameda. I had a 1990 photo with the runways added in 1959 (didn't realize the difference then). I went about today updating the bgl in ADE 1.6 and replacing some buildings with hangers. I thought I was done after the placement of the taxiway and runway signage. Not so fast "rocketpants" as Rod Machado says in the first lesson of FS9 (and also FSX). Thanks Scruffyduck for the fantastic program.

I searched the internet further, I discovered the 3 documents produced by the planners and the city with tons of photos and drawings old and new. Oh well, seems nothing is ever as simple as it seems. It looks like a lot more work will be needed to make this an accurate representation to release. How many of you guys would be interested in 2 versions of NAS Alameda with surrounding base scenery {1942 and 1960s) (as best as I can do anyway)? Let me know here how many of you would be interested and I will continue with the project and post updates as I progress toward its completion. BTW it's gonna be free as so many of you have shared with me. Will be a great place to fly the S2F etc. project aircrafts as well as all the other Navy aircraft of those eras. My way of giving back for all I have gotten here. Look forward to hearing who is as excited about NAS Almeda as I am.

Adding Aircraft to KNGZ???

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post

I can try to use the SAMM2 software I have to see if I can make any static aircraft and place them. It says it works in FSX. I have successfully used it in FS2004 a number of times on different airports. I have also programmed AI aircraft at those airports. Will finish the airport and then see about the "eye-candy" when it is finished. I will do the 1960 -->>1990 version of the airport first since I also have aircraft I like that I can fly there like my C1A version of Milton Shupe's S2F that I have the USS AMERICA CVA-66 COD "Miss America" my carrier home for 4 years. ( I posted that texture here). I will try and take screen shots as it progresses and post them here.

I would certainly be interested in your FSX version of KNGZ. Alameda deserves a make-over like what's available for Miramar and Fallon. Last summer I exchanged PM's with falcon409 about this same subject. Ed is more knowledgeable about scenery creation than I am and he had two working runways laid down in no time at all, but not an entire rebuild of the airfield. Then I got sidetracked with other things and forgot about it. Whatever you put together would certainly be superior to anything I could come up with.

NAS Alameda 1960s-1990

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I would certainly be interested in your FSX version of KNGZ. Alameda deserves a make-over like what's available for Miramar and Fallon. Last summer I exchanged PM's with falcon409 about this same subject. Ed is more knowledgeable about scenery creation than I am and he had two working runways laid down in no time at all, but not an entire rebuild of the airfield. Then I got sidetracked with other things and forgot about it. Whatever you put together would certainly be superior to anything I could come up with.
    Thank you for the encouragement. I hope to do justice to this project. I am not a Gmax or other scenery creator and will be using whatever buildings, hangers etc. that others have so ably created in other sceneries that they are sharing with us. I have found lately that after flying for so many years that I am almost getting more enjoyment from new textures and I hope new scenery as flying. I started out now it seems so many years ago downloading my first add-ons from AVSIM, Simviation, and especially here at SOH. I have also gotten so much help from the FsDevelopers community and will probably visit there when I get stuck. Its time that I give back to our community I feel, so here it goes. I thank the Lord for all the talent I have so I hope he blesses this project for us all to share.

Richard

The First Update to NAS Alameda Scenery

Well, I have been diligently working, changing, working, changing, etc. for the past two days but loving every minute. Here are a couple shots of progress so far: One is from a top-down view in FSX which I also used as an image behind the ADE airport and the second is a "so-far" shot on ADE. I will continue on it adding buildings; autos; and trees where they belong and post some more again. LMK what you think so far. Toughest part is what to overlay with texture of the FSX scenery and also scaling it accurately to match the dwgs in the reports I downloaded. I think that I have it pretty well dead on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_160330_232944.jpg   Image_160330_235330.jpg  

You've made a lot of progress. You might want to consider using a Google Earth view of the NAS as a background image for your scenery, at least for the area of the old runways. There's coverage on GE from 3/11/2000 that's in color and shows the field pretty much as it looked when it was still open, except for the yellow X's on the runways.

Members who have read this thread: 3