NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX
Page 1 of 22 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

I have done airfields before but only in FS9 so this is my first in FSX. I liked its combination of being both a land plane base and also a seaplane base. In FSX-Acceleration, like in real life, KNGZ is "NGZ" and is a closed airport. It is also being like NAS Glenview has been, is being made into a civilian area of housing and malls by the City of Alameda I discovered.

I have been to NAS Alameda both in 1970 when I returned from Vietnam and also in 1992 before it was officially closed down by the "Base Closures Committee" of Congress. Now that's the preamble for my post.

I started out to create NAS Alameda in 1942 by opening up the stock bgl for NGZ in FSX. I opened up the runways and from the photo added taxiways when they belong. I downloaded the OBx Grumman Goose over the weekend and just been kinda flying around looking for a home base. I looked for a seaplane base and found NAS Alameda. I had a 1990 photo with the runways added in 1959 (didn't realize the difference then). I went about today updating the bgl in ADE 1.6 and replacing some buildings with hangers. I thought I was done after the placement of the taxiway and runway signage. Not so fast "rocketpants" as Rod Machado says in the first lesson of FS9 (and also FSX). Thanks Scruffyduck for the fantastic program.

I searched the internet further, I discovered the 3 documents produced by the planners and the city with tons of photos and drawings old and new. Oh well, seems nothing is ever as simple as it seems. It looks like a lot more work will be needed to make this an accurate representation to release. How many of you guys would be interested in 2 versions of NAS Alameda with surrounding base scenery {1942 and 1960s) (as best as I can do anyway)? Let me know here how many of you would be interested and I will continue with the project and post updates as I progress toward its completion. BTW it's gonna be free as so many of you have shared with me. Will be a great place to fly the S2F etc. project aircrafts as well as all the other Navy aircraft of those eras. My way of giving back for all I have gotten here. Look forward to hearing who is as excited about NAS Almeda as I am.

I would be very interested, esp in the 1960's version. I was with a F8 squadron onboard USS Hancock. NAS Alameda was home port and was glad to get there after finishing many a cruise to the
    Tonkin Gulf (Viet-nam). I think that air field was used by a TV show called Mythbusters and they would do all sorts of experiments on the runway and hanger.
    Anyway, after we disembarked, we would catch a Navy R4Y from there to NAS Miramar.
    Do you plan of having any static or AI aircraft added for the period?

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I have done airfields before but only in FS9 so this is my first in FSX. I liked its combination of being both a land plane base and also a seaplane base. In FSX-Acceleration, like in real life, KNGZ is "NGZ" and is a closed airport. It is also being like NAS Glenview has been, is being made into a civilian area of housing and malls by the City of Alameda I discovered.

I have been to NAS Alameda both in 1970 when I returned from Vietnam and also in 1992 before it was officially closed down by the "Base Closures Committee" of Congress. Now that's the preamble for my post.

I started out to create NAS Alameda in 1942 by opening up the stock bgl for NGZ in FSX. I opened up the runways and from the photo added taxiways when they belong. I downloaded the OBx Grumman Goose over the weekend and just been kinda flying around looking for a home base. I looked for a seaplane base and found NAS Alameda. I had a 1990 photo with the runways added in 1959 (didn't realize the difference then). I went about today updating the bgl in ADE 1.6 and replacing some buildings with hangers. I thought I was done after the placement of the taxiway and runway signage. Not so fast "rocketpants" as Rod Machado says in the first lesson of FS9 (and also FSX). Thanks Scruffyduck for the fantastic program.

I searched the internet further, I discovered the 3 documents produced by the planners and the city with tons of photos and drawings old and new. Oh well, seems nothing is ever as simple as it seems. It looks like a lot more work will be needed to make this an accurate representation to release. How many of you guys would be interested in 2 versions of NAS Alameda with surrounding base scenery {1942 and 1960s) (as best as I can do anyway)? Let me know here how many of you would be interested and I will continue with the project and post updates as I progress toward its completion. BTW it's gonna be free as so many of you have shared with me. Will be a great place to fly the S2F etc. project aircrafts as well as all the other Navy aircraft of those eras. My way of giving back for all I have gotten here. Look forward to hearing who is as excited about NAS Almeda as I am.

Adding Aircraft to KNGZ???

I can try to use the SAMM2 software I have to see if I can make any static aircraft and place them. It says it works in FSX. I have successfully used it in FS2004 a number of times on different airports. I have also programmed AI aircraft at those airports. Will finish the airport and then see about the "eye-candy" when it is finished. I will do the 1960 -->>1990 version of the airport first since I also have aircraft I like that I can fly there like my C1A version of Milton Shupe's S2F that I have the USS AMERICA CVA-66 COD "Miss America" my carrier home for 4 years. ( I posted that texture here). I will try and take screen shots as it progresses and post them here.

I would certainly be interested in your FSX version of KNGZ. Alameda deserves a make-over like what's available for Miramar and Fallon. Last summer I exchanged PM's with falcon409 about this same subject. Ed is more knowledgeable about scenery creation than I am and he had two working runways laid down in no time at all, but not an entire rebuild of the airfield. Then I got sidetracked with other things and forgot about it. Whatever you put together would certainly be superior to anything I could come up with.

NAS Alameda 1960s-1990

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I would certainly be interested in your FSX version of KNGZ. Alameda deserves a make-over like what's available for Miramar and Fallon. Last summer I exchanged PM's with falcon409 about this same subject. Ed is more knowledgeable about scenery creation than I am and he had two working runways laid down in no time at all, but not an entire rebuild of the airfield. Then I got sidetracked with other things and forgot about it. Whatever you put together would certainly be superior to anything I could come up with.
    Thank you for the encouragement. I hope to do justice to this project. I am not a Gmax or other scenery creator and will be using whatever buildings, hangers etc. that others have so ably created in other sceneries that they are sharing with us. I have found lately that after flying for so many years that I am almost getting more enjoyment from new textures and I hope new scenery as flying. I started out now it seems so many years ago downloading my first add-ons from AVSIM, Simviation, and especially here at SOH. I have also gotten so much help from the FsDevelopers community and will probably visit there when I get stuck. Its time that I give back to our community I feel, so here it goes. I thank the Lord for all the talent I have so I hope he blesses this project for us all to share.

Richard

The First Update to NAS Alameda Scenery

Well, I have been diligently working, changing, working, changing, etc. for the past two days but loving every minute. Here are a couple shots of progress so far: One is from a top-down view in FSX which I also used as an image behind the ADE airport and the second is a "so-far" shot on ADE. I will continue on it adding buildings; autos; and trees where they belong and post some more again. LMK what you think so far. Toughest part is what to overlay with texture of the FSX scenery and also scaling it accurately to match the dwgs in the reports I downloaded. I think that I have it pretty well dead on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_160330_232944.jpg   Image_160330_235330.jpg  

You've made a lot of progress. You might want to consider using a Google Earth view of the NAS as a background image for your scenery, at least for the area of the old runways. There's coverage on GE from 3/11/2000 that's in color and shows the field pretty much as it looked when it was still open, except for the yellow X's on the runways.

Alameda on Google Earth

You've made a lot of progress. You might want to consider using a Google Earth view of the NAS as a background image for your scenery, at least for the area of the old runways. There's coverage on GE from 3/11/2000 that's in color and shows the field pretty much as it looked when it was still open, except for the yellow X's on the runways.

Thank you I'll take a look at it. I think from all the doc's I have that I have them fairly dead-on but it never hurts to look at some new info. I downloaded the new version of Google Earth Pro and can get NAS NOW with the brewery, cycle shop etc that they now use on the air station but even though I watched the video about the clock slider etc. There is no clock on Pro to get the 2000 view. Help please!

NAS Alameda CA V1 for FSX

For those 2 guys waiting for this besides myself, who encouraged me to put all the hours in to resurrecting NAS Alameda in her years from 1960 to 1993, here it is. I hope that you are as pleased with it as I am how it turned out. I will expect any input to help to make it even better if possible. I used all the online reports as well as Google Earth to make it as close as I could using all stock buildings and scenery so that it will work on anyone's FSX Acceleration. I am going to fly in and out for a while and then see about AI. I don't think I am going to do any static aircraft since my SAMM and MDL Converter just didn't work for me. I am anxious for replies after you have downloaded it and tried it out on your FSX

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj214rynj2...Addon.zip?dl=0

Thank you tgycgijoes, very nice work! A vast improvement over the crappy default field.

Growing up just south, in Fremont, I'd see tons of traffic going into Alameda. Even visited a few times.

Would love to see this brought back to life.

Thanks!
    -Jeff
    I pass gas!

Your welcome muchly

Thank you tgycgijoes, very nice work! A vast improvement over the crappy default field.
    I hadn't made an airport in FSX before and not made one for a couple of years with ADE, my last being East Wretham, England WWII in FS9. I am so glad it turned out well. I slide the autogen slider to NONE so that I don't get houses and trees where they don't belong on the airport. If you use autogen in other airports its easy to put back when you're ready. I really love the picture of the Corsair over the airport, it looks so good. I shared it with my daughter and grand daughter this morning so that they could see what Grandpa has been doing the last three days. LOL. I am going to load in the other NAS's including Glenview so that I can fly around from one to the other. Gonna fly my C1A COD around today and take some shots with Rapidshot my self and post. Thanks for the tip on Google Earth, Tarps. I moved runways a bit when I saw the real view instead of the old photos so it was more accurate before tweaking and posting last night.

Nice scenery, would like to see a Essex class carrier (Hanna - Bon Homme Richard) at the pier.

I hadn't made an airport in FSX before and not made one for a couple of years with ADE, my last being East Wretham, England WWII in FS9. I am so glad it turned out well. I slide the autogen slider to NONE so that I don't get houses and trees where they don't belong on the airport. If you use autogen in other airports its easy to put back when you're ready. I really love the picture of the Corsair over the airport, it looks so good. I shared it with my daughter and grand daughter this morning so that they could see what Grandpa has been doing the last three days. LOL. I am going to load in the other NAS's including Glenview so that I can fly around from one to the other. Gonna fly my C1A COD around today and take some shots with Rapidshot my self and post. Thanks for the tip on Google Earth, Tarps. I moved runways a bit when I saw the real view instead of the old photos so it was more accurate before tweaking and posting last night.

Ye olde "Bonnie Dick" at the pier?

Do you have a static model of USS Bon Homme Richard? If you send me the file I can put it in the scenery. Must be a bgl scenery file to use in FSX. SAMM and MDL Converter doesn't work turning live aircraft/ships into static scenery. Only works in FS9. At least I couldn't make it work.

Here is a link to some essex class carriers. There is a CV-10_CV-32_Static avail.
    Maybe you could change the hull/Island numbers to 19 or 31 (Hancock/Bonnie Dick).
    I sailed on both off them in the Tonkin Gulf

http://www.fsxcarrierops.com/boats.htm

Do you have a static model of USS Bon Homme Richard? If you send me the file I can put it in the scenery. Must be a bgl scenery file to use in FSX. SAMM and MDL Converter doesn't work turning live aircraft/ships into static scenery. Only works in FS9. At least I couldn't make it work.

static carriers

I might be able to change textures, we'll see.

Changing to the Bonhomme Richard

I might be able to change textures, we'll see.
    Unfortunately, the ship details are all in the mdl file and that belongs to the creator/designer and I am not allowed to change that. I will get in contact with the designer and see if he would add a Bonhomme Richard model into the file for us and allow me to add it into the scenery which I also need his permission to do.

ORBX FTX Alameda

Hey guys, for what it is worth, ORBX did a nice rendition of Alameda that they included in the FTX NCA region, more commonly referred to as NorCal. It includes a very nice Photoreal backdrop, and ships at the pier. However, it does not include any custom buildings. Also, it is in a decommissioned state, as there are big yellow "X's" on the Runways. I had at one point desired to place a few custom hangars and a custom Control tower on this nice foundation that ORBX has provided us with. Unfortunely, I do not posses the modeling skill required of such a task. I would have liked to portray the base as she would have looked in the eighties-ish time period. I'd like to have Static AND Ai Orion's, Scooters, and Corsairs. Also, the Cherry on top would be 3D dock/piers with water start locations for Driveable ships. -Woog

There's more perhaps in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Woogey View Post
    Hey guys, for what it is worth, ORBX did a nice rendition of Alameda that they included in the FTX NCA region, more commonly referred to as NorCal. It includes a very nice Photoreal backdrop, and ships at the pier. However, it does not include any custom buildings. Also, it is in a decommissioned state, as there are big yellow "X's" on the Runways. I had at one point desired to place a few custom hangars and a custom Control tower on this nice foundation that ORBX has provided us with. Unfortunely, I do not posses the modeling skill required of such a task. I would have liked to portray the base as she would have looked in the eighties-ish time period. I'd like to have Static AND Ai Orion's, Scooters, and Corsairs. Also, the Cherry on top would be 3D dock/piers with water start locations for Driveable ships. -Woog
    When I've flown with guys in the 91st BG who have ORBX and others with FSX, the airport elevations are different and either one guy's aircraft is hovering (and its not a helo) or the aircraft in ORBX are underground. When the Kollsman knob is adjusted to the proper airport altitude and the FSX is on the apron or runway, IMHO its an ORBX problem or anomaly. They do tremendous work, but it IS payware. I know they DO share a lot of freeware too. Granted they do a ton or work and earn a living so they like Megascenery charge for their addons. Again, Bluesky Scenery provides super stuff for free. I have their Pacific Northwest areas and (and also the BSMM) will be adding it when I clean up some space on this old computer this week.

Ai aircraft are in the future but static aircraft in FSX is another matter. SAMM creates mdl's and FSX only uses bgl's for scenery items. My base IS as it looked in the 70's and 80's (It could be used even in 1959 with PBM's with a little imaginative license) from all available information and I tried to make it accurate in placement of runways, taxiways and aprons as well as the air station itself from main street to the seaplane ramps and 1st street to 5th street. Even the trees are correct and placed properly. I find it interesting the taxiway designators at that time here were numbers and only at the end of its life letters like other airports. This is an active air station not closed as both in ORBX and FSX. I am disappointed that FSX uses that photo residential backdrop on piers and everything,too which is hokey. If I get a chance I may fix the piers and a few areas with concrete/grass/gravel. I consider this a work-in-progress which is why I called it Version 1. I am a novice here at SOH and FSdevelopers forums and gotten a lot of help in the past. Anybody wishing to improve on my beginning has "my blessing" and the improvements like adding static aircraft parked where they belong...go for it! Driveable and ai aircraft carriers are available here or online (check the link above to the ships) and can be placed I believe lat/long at the pier. It might be fun to get some multiplayer action going from here with a few of you guys on one of the free servers sometime.

Wow ! We've been hoping someone would take Alameda on ! Can't wait to see it in person ! Hope you plan on releasing it to us little people !

NAS Alameda 1970-1993 V1 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette99 View Post
    Wow ! We've been hoping someone would take Alameda on ! Can't wait to see it in person ! Hope you plan on releasing it to us little people !
    Hey Corvette99,

It's out and its here. Just browse up a few replies and you will find the link to the dropbox where the file is. I am currently just about finished (worked all day today) with Version 2 after a request for a carrier at one of the piers was asked and I was able with "scruffyduck"'s tutorials on ADE to put one there after I added to the airport to the right of the seaplane lagoon from a new photo showing what buildings/parking lots were there and NOT that junk stock residential area that FSX had there. It will be up here later tonight if you want to wait and download Version 2. Have fun and post some snap shots here.

Military Beacon

I almost forgot to mention that I hope that you will/have added a military beacon to NAS Alameda...

White/White/Green.....

Good News...Bad News (well sorta)

I spent the afternoon today updating NAS Alameda to Version 2 by expanding it East to include the Carrier Piers/work Areas. I checked it out to a few photos and I think that it fits perfectly with MS FSX residential scenery so I am done with the land areas. Here are the updates: Added the breakwater to the seaplane lagoon; added concrete piers 1, 2 and 3 over the silly houses scenery on them. Added parking lots with cars; buses; and trucks. Added buildings to the work areas as best as I could with stock bldgs; AND.............notice the CVA-64 berthed on the North side of Pier 2. It is a static aircraft carrier converted from the AI version which means that it can be programmed to come and go (when I figure out how).
    The bad news is that I cannot release it with the carrier until I get the ok from the creators at the FSX Carriers site who I have emailed because the model and textures belong to them. I AM going to put a dropbox link to Version 2 minus the carrier here so that if you want to add your own pilotable carrier at a pier you can. You will find two 60 foot camels in place at the north side of Pier 2 to berth to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxno5o0rsf...%20V2.zip?dl=0

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_160402_195926.jpg   Image_160402_205256.jpg  
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; April 2nd, 2016 at 19:41.

Military Airport Beacon Added

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I almost forgot to mention that I hope that you will/have added a military beacon to NAS Alameda...

White/White/Green.....
    I knew that I needed that and couldn't remember it was not automatically included. Usually is in a modified active airport, but NGZ was inactive with closed runways/taxiways so they purposely deactivated the beacon and the comms.

Thank you for reminding me. The dropbox link is of the airport updated with the beacon.

Relocate beacon

Wanted to ask if you could please relocate the beacon from the ground to the top of the control tower. I tried with ADE and it looked like I was doing so. I saved and compiled but then I found it back where
    you had it. Don't know what I needed to do. If you know how could you please let me know what the procedures are? Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 3