NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX - Page 22
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12141516171819202122

Thread: NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

Just as an update, I have converted all mdls used by Richard to single bgl objects. These are available for anyone wishing to place them individually. If the original creators approve I can post them here. Number of polys can not be reduced unless someone remakes them in Sketchup. Richard gave me the sketchup source files but unfortunately I do not have the time to go in each and every one and simplify them. One may use the MCX "optimize drawcalls" function to reduce the number of textures. This will help for sure.

Richard, simulloyd, let me know if I can post here the bgl library files for your objects. Maybe Preston will do the job of placing them at their locations and/or optimize their texture sheets. I can also share the ADEX source file that you gave me with him if you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Just as an update, I have converted all mdls used by Richard to single bgl objects. These are available for anyone wishing to place them individually. If the original creators approve I can post them here. Number of polys can not be reduced unless someone remakes them in Sketchup. Richard gave me the sketchup source files but unfortunately I do not have the time to go in each and every one and simplify them. One may use the MCX "optimize drawcalls" function to reduce the number of textures. This will help for sure.

Richard, simulloyd, let me know if I can post here the bgl library files for your objects. Maybe Preston will do the job of placing them at their locations and/or optimize their texture sheets. I can also share the ADEX source file that you gave me with him if you agree.
    I am fine with anyone improving the hangars. I sent all original bgls to Richard along with mdls made in MCX. Optimize drawcalls was performed on every building. Perhaps the biggest chunk is the 800 plus individual texture files we produced. The last couple of buildings were made from 1 single rectangle block and then cut and covered. Public Works was covered by 1 combined texture sheet. The Air Terminal is one piece for the building and another piece for the stairs steps and practice rounds on the front steps Unfortunately, the original Hangars 20-24, tower, and Seaplane hangars are constructed out of multiple pieces and groups of pieces. I have learned a few more technical tricks to economize structures and hopefully will be able to incorporate those techniques in future projects.

Thank you for all comments and feedback. I honestly did not want to take any credit for this thing being so big.

The object of this was

Quote Originally Posted by simulloyd View Post
    I am fine with anyone improving the hangars. I sent all original bgls to Richard along with mdls made in MCX. Optimize drawcalls was performed on every building. Perhaps the biggest chunk is the 800 plus individual texture files we produced. The last couple of buildings were made from 1 single rectangle block and then cut and covered. Public Works was covered by 1 combined texture sheet. The Air Terminal is one piece for the building and another piece for the stairs steps and practice rounds on the front steps Unfortunately, the original Hangars 20-24, tower, and Seaplane hangars are constructed out of multiple pieces and groups of pieces. I have learned a few more technical tricks to economize structures and hopefully will be able to incorporate those techniques in future projects.

Thank you for all comments and feedback. I honestly did not want to take any credit for this thing being so big.
    when this project started it was simple but the more I got into it the more exciting it got and the bigger. Guys have said that this is one of the best N
    AS sceneries they have seen. Needless to say my disappointment when it did not perform as I wanted was devastating. I want it to be the best that it can be and whatever and whoever makes it so is all that matters. I sent Dimus and Woogey original zips of every file MDL and skp for every item as well as the final ad4. I can't do any more thana I have done I don't know how. Whoever does and can please fix it and post it including a readme of all of us as a team.

Icon9 Brand New Computer

I don't think that I posted this here but did inform my partners Dimus and simulloyd about my computer being fried in the tropical storm we had a couple weeks ago. The poor old 10 yr old Dell bit the dust forcing me to get a new setup. I wanted Windows 7 NOT 10 and got a beautiful new acer 17 inch screen laptop with intel pentium 3558 processor and 8GB RAM / 500GB hard drive plus a really nice video card/blueray HD DVD all the bells and whistles and I could even afford it at $150 off list. WOW!!!

With all that said I downloaded the full NAS Alameda version last night, installed it and loaded it into my FSX(A). It really works beautifully and with unlimited fps selected I got 18-22fps consistently. I know that like me before a lot of people who wanted this to work were disappointed since it slowed their system down so much which broke my heart as it did theirs. If my computer hadn't gotten fried I probably would have just shelved it like the rest. I guess its only for the higher end computers to work and it seems that is the way it is sadly at the moment. I'm back at school volunteer teaching so no time to spend "sleepless nights" on Alameda for a while.

It seems nobody wants to take the time to redo the buildings since we moved to "page 4" and I don't blame them it was not THEIR project. Maybe next summer when I have the time with school out again I will sit down and figure out how to get the flat textures on the buildings and beef up the fps's for everybody. Until then it was a lot of fun and a learning experience. I'll pack up the 2 reams of paper of Google Earth photos of all the buildings.

See ya all here again.

See that's the problem, with a nice new computer with good specs, you should be a hitting 65-70fps consistently. Thats how much Alameda is bogging down your system. I offered to help with these buildings and the textures, but I never got a reply or a private message, with the source files I need to restructure the texture mapping. My offer still stands, if you guys want to send them to me.

Sincerely, Preston "Woogey" Martin

Just Sent

Hi Woogey,

Thank you for your helping with fixing this. PM'd you the files.

I know this is a fairly old thread, but are these files available anywhere?
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

NAS Alameda

I am going to assume that the last download link is no longer working. Send me a PM and I will put them in Dropbox for you to download. I have them archived on a flash drive and just need to find the last version for you which won't be hard (I hope LOL). Thank you for your interest. This was six months work.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I am going to assume that the last download link is no longer working. Send me a PM and I will put them in Dropbox for you to download. I have them archived on a flash drive and just need to find the last version for you which won't be hard (I hope LOL). Thank you for your interest. This was six months work.

I did try the last dropbox link, sent you a PM.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

NAS Alameda

Got It watch for the mail a little later

Sent a pm,also.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post

Greetings, It's been a long time since this project has been mentioned. I am somewhat delighted to know there is still interest in it. You also might recall I offered my full approval to share and revise portions of Alameda that I contributed to the project. Unfortunately, I am not inclined to re-engage the effort at this time. At some time in the future I might begin AI repaints for the squadrons assigned to KNGZ during the era of the base.

The one caution to the users is that I had limited experience in 3D modeling and textures at the time of the project. All structures were designed in SketchUp. Most of the individual faces of every structure had their own texture sheet and were day textures only. This turned out to be very bad on performance. There is a lot of fine detail in places you would never see unless you port to P3D and walk about as an avatar.

Check It Out

When it was complete I was able to drive around the entire base on the roads that were created in a "driveable" jeep Wrangler CJ which is available online for FSX, IN FSX Acceleration which is my platform. I second Simulloyd's comments above. We were ALL 3D novices when we started this because no one told us we couldn't do it even if we didn't know enough when we started to ask an intelligent question LOL!!!!! The emogees illustrate our emotions throughout the project but we DID I think manage to give the community the whole base as best as possible. Thanks go to simulloyd, gray eagle, ian elliot, Dimus, Woogey and Navy Chief without whom this would not have been possible to finish, but especially my wife who put up with me all summer burning the midnight oil. Say goodnight Dick,........Goodnight Dick!

Is this available anywhere yet ?

Its Baaaaaaack LOL

Since it seems that a lot of you that didn't grab this the first time around...here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwbz0uog6o...rsion.zip?dl=0

It even works in P3DV4 one of the guys I just sent it to this week says.

Downloaded this recent KNGZ zip today. But then I found I already have in P3Dv4 a "KNGZ Alameda_Simple" folder I installed in June of this year. They measure almost exactly the same size, so now I don't know what is the difference, if any, between the two.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Memory

I don't remember exactly what I took out of "Simple" but I seem to remember I removed the Commissary, the NEX Gas Station and maybe another building to try and reduce frame rate hit because they were very intense Sketchup Buildings and most people wouldn't miss them unless they drove around the base in a vehicle on the roads and found some open land with just autogen trees etc on it. The Final version contains every building we the designers built and installed on the base which is the ENTIRE base from all of the available material.

Members who have read this thread: 3