NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX - Page 14
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

Early work on some hangars -

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hangars Capture_Initial start.jpg  

Really Cool

Quote Originally Posted by simulloyd View Post
    Early work on some hangars -

Wow! The tower looks fantastic. I note that these ARE Buildings 20-23. Keep up the good work. I will continue working on the base side buildings. Are you gonna do the air terminal by the seaplane hangers/ramps or should I put that one on my worklist? I took tons of Google Earth pictures of it which I can put in a folder in a dropbox link for you if you planned on doing it after the hangers are completed. I like the idea of an open one to have a parking spot inside. I have a thought about the eagle for the Main Gate Pass Office. Will post results sometime tomorrow or Monday. Being Mothers Day tomorrow I think that I may be otherwise occupied than at the base "with a hardhat on".

USS Hancock Alameda

Thought I'd share this photo of the Hanna at Alameda. Notice the other "Bat Barges". Looks like the other carriers are moored where the old seaplane ramp is/was.
    I can remember that many carriers in Subic and the gate was closed and I had Shore Patrol duty at an EM Club that was an old, hot, and non air conditioned Quonset hut.

Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Thought I'd share this photo of the Hanna at Alameda. Notice the other "Bat Barges". Looks like the other carriers are moored where the old seaplane ramp is/was.
    I can remember that many carriers in Subic and the gate was closed and I had Shore Patrol duty at an EM Club that was an old, hot, and non air conditioned Quonset hut.

I'm not sure but it looks to me like the carriers are all moored across from the air station not in the seaplane basin. Notice the Oakland bridge in the upper left corner of the photo. They may be replenishing. Nice photo.

Officer Housing

Here are some photos of the finished and placed Officer Housing to the East of the BOQ's. You can see in the red cross where BOB is standing. The grass is a texture that I added to the ground poly textures. Little by little I feel like I'm getting the hang of Sketchup and ADEX with a lot of Divine Inspiration.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Officer Housing From Google.jpg   Image_160510_134707.jpg   Image_160510_135331.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I'm not sure but it looks to me like the carriers are all moored across from the air station not in the seaplane basin. Notice the Oakland bridge in the upper left corner of the photo. They may be replenishing. Nice photo.
    That's not Alameda, that is North Island in San Diego.

Woogey said, "That's not Alameda, that is North Island in San Diego." +1

Didn't Know Where

I didn't think that was Alameda but I was only in San Diego once so it was not readily recognizable to me. Thank you for clearing that up, guys.

Gray Eagle's pic shows the original carrier pier at NAS North Island. It was renovated over the years but basically dated back to the time of the USS Langley. It was removed around 2000 and replaced with a quay where two CV's can berth.

USS Hancock

I guess that pic I sent if the Hanna was taken at NAS North Island. Here is the link with that picture and says it was moored at NAS NI. Scroll down a bit and look to the right side.
    Sorry. Oh well it's a nice photo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hancock_%28CV-19%29

Adding Housing

I have been busy in sketchup creating and making MDLs of the enlisted Housing 2 types and placing them into the Housing Area of the base while waiting for the new hangers and the tower. I will finish that today and be done with all the housing area. The rest can further East can be autogen. I put in all the streets where they should be in the autogen areas.

Next I will be returning to the Main Air Station and begin trying to make the Air Terminal in the Seaplane Area. We'll see how this turns out. NAS Alameda is not on hold but under construction.

Before ya know it, you'll have working traffic lights Just kidding. Sounds like you have been adding a ton more of detail into what started out as a runway and a few hangers.
    Anxious to see the final results.

I have been busy in sketchup creating and making MDLs of the enlisted Housing 2 types and placing them into the Housing Area of the base while waiting for the new hangers and the tower. I will finish that today and be done with all the housing area. The rest can further East can be autogen. I put in all the streets where they should be in the autogen areas.

Next I will be returning to the Main Air Station and begin trying to make the Air Terminal in the Seaplane Area. We'll see how this turns out. NAS Alameda is not on hold but under construction.

Before ya know it, you'll have working traffic lights Just kidding. Sounds like you have been adding a ton more of detail into what started out as a runway and a few hangers.
    Anxious to see the final results.
    Now that all the housing is in place, I actually HAVE traffic signs. I have not seen any traffic lights in Google Earth but got "on the ground and toured the old housing and got pics of corners with street signs, speed limit signs etc. When I am ALL done with the base with all the rest of the buildings in place, it'll be the last thing I do and then we'll release it here.

R

Working on the NAS

I spent the afternoon getting new buildings/converting to MDLs and replacing the generic FSX bgls with more accurate buildings. In Sketchup 3D Warehouse by searching "alameda" I found a host of buildings that though not the greatest in detail, are totally accurate building shape with flat textures. Today I replaced the seaplane hangers with correct ones; added the air terminal; added the Administration Building and some more new buildings. I also was able to create new ground poly textures of road markings (STOP and 15MPH) which will be placed at each of the corners where they belong. All of the residential areas are complete and I will be tweaking and correcting now until the Tower and the new hangers come. Its almost there guys.

Building textures and Library

How are the textures laid out on the ketchup buildings? Do they use generic textures, or is there a texture sheet per building?

Along the same train of thought, are you creating a master "library .bgl file" that holds all the model objects? If so, are you making different objects for each Hangar, or are you reusing like hangars under one object title?

The reason I ask the last question is for individual texture uniqueness. Example: hangar 20 is "Corsair country" in the 1980's version, where as Hangar 21 is "Whale Country" They are exactly the same design, but have different markings. I'd love to do some custom textures on your buildings. -Woog

Hangers

Buildings 20-24 are being custom made from scratch by simulloyd for the air station as is the control tower as you can see in previous posts in this thread. I downloaded the hangers for the 4 along the seaplane ramp to replace the stock hangers from FSX-A. They have flat photo textures as is the air terminal. I mass converted to dds files in MDX and exported.

I looked at them on MY FSX last night and they are not bad except they are not aligned straight. I read somewhere that sometimes happens so I am going to try and correct that later. I also experimented with a KNGZ Alameda scenery folder with a scenery folder for bgls and a texture folder of all textures in it. I put it in Addon Scenery and activated it and it seems to work. I think this is an easier way to share it. I am going to go back to the old way and see if I see any difference in the textures in FSX while we all come together with the final version. I am also going to check/correct any runway and taxiway signs that were placed in the first version and I saw one backwards last night.

For some reason I am sure since I am NOT by any means experienced in Sketchup, when IMHO I did a bangup job of adding windows, doors, stairs and a small structure ontop of the downloaded 3D Warehouse of the Air Terminal which is now the Museum, it would NOT import into MDX. When I took it as a stock flat download, it imported no problem and that is what I used.

I am not doing one bgl library because though I tried to use the Library Creator and it seemed to work, nothing shows in my ADE so I added MDLs to the model list and placed them that way and all textures will be in one texture file which I have added to as the bldgs are created.

If you would like to contribute by doing the seaplane hangers and the Air Terminal scratch, by all means go for it. I am not excited about the flat sided ones just as good as I can get with MY skills. I created houses ok from scratch and placed them in the residential areas. I'm kinda "building-burned out" right now so any help is appreciated.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_160517_125223.jpg  

Unfortunately Richard,I am no 3D modeler. I can do textures pretty good though. I haven't heard from my 3D modeler in a while, and you guys are making pretty good headway. I just want to contribute to a nice rendition of Alameda, and get it in sim. -Woog

Grateful

Quote Originally Posted by Woogey View Post
    Unfortunately Richard,I am no 3D modeler. I can do textures pretty good though. I haven't heard from my 3D modeler in a while, and you guys are making pretty good headway. I just want to contribute to a nice rendition of Alameda, and get it in sim. -Woog

Thank you for your good words. I am not either, just muddlin' through. simulloyd is the good modeler. He is doing a fantastic job for the project. I found what I've got on 3D Warehouse and its not bad I think. You can see the couple of pics here. I keep on keepin' on and it will be finished pretty soon to release I think. Watch the post here.

Richard

Sound

I have been working on tweaking NAS Alameda this week now that I have the houses and buildings that I can do done and placed. Made sure all textures are there so everything looks good. I also added the USS Forrestal CVA-59 at Pier 2.

Google-searched and found a number of threads at FSDeveloper which has been so helpful to me in the past for how to have sounds at the air station. When V3.1.2 is released you will now immediately hear the sounds of the waves gently lapping the shore and seagulls flying overhead. I also added FSX Birds in the seaplane basin so that there "should" be seagulls and pelicans flying around there (but I haven't seen them yet). I flew the COD out yesterday late afternoon down to NAS North Island with a some transferred personnel going aboard a ship berthed at San Diego. Had a down gripe on the right engine and waiting for a part to be flown in from Grumman and will return then. I couldn't find any information of how many (if more than 1) C1A Traders there were assigned to NAS Alameda. If anybody has that information please post it here. (With registration nos. if you've got them and I will do more textures. for the G7-C1A-FSX for NAS Alamada)

How many CODs were here

I have been working on tweaking NAS Alameda this week now that I have the houses and buildings that I can do done and placed. Made sure all textures are there so everything looks good. I also added the USS Forrestal CVA-59 at Pier 2.

Google-searched and found a number of threads at FSDeveloper which has been so helpful to me in the past for how to have sounds at the air station. When V3.1.2 is released you will now immediately hear the sounds of the waves gently lapping the shore and seagulls flying overhead. I also added FSX Birds in the seaplane basin so that there "should" be seagulls and pelicans flying around there (but I haven't seen them yet). I flew the COD out yesterday late afternoon down to NAS North Island with a some transferred personnel going aboard a ship berthed at San Diego. Had a down gripe on the right engine and waiting for a part to be flown in from Grumman and will return then. I couldn't find any information of how many (if more than 1) C1A Traders there were assigned to NAS Alameda. If anybody has that information please post it here. (With registration nos. if you've got them and I will do more textures. for the G7-C1A-FSX for NAS Alamada)
    I found one C1A of VR30 which was stationed here before re-activation as VRC-30 and transfer to North Island. Then found that they also had at least one other C1A as well. I telephoned the PAO at VRC-30 at North Island and asked him if they had any information of their "stay" at Alameda, but all those records were not computerized and if they made their way there 20+ years ago, they're gone now so there is no record in the unit before they started at North Island flying C2 Greyhounds.

I am going to do textures for the two VR-30's I have their registrations and a photo, nice side shot which I will post here in the Warbirds and I am going to see if I can do an AI traffic file for them to fly in and out of here this week. Hey guys, are any of you flying here still? PS No word from the guru's at FSDevelopers about additional sounds yet.

Richard

Flying in Alameda

Richard,

I do a lot of flying to Alameda even though it has been updated a lot since last release.
    As an aside, I remember when I was embarked on either the Hancock or Bon Homme Richard and we arrived at Alameda after completing a West-Pac cruise, us squadron types would disembark
    the ship and there was a bus waiting to take us to a waiting Navy R4Y for Nas Miramar. So, it would be nice if a R4Y could show up there now and then. I may just fly in there myself in one for old times sake. I like the idea of the Forrestal in the scenery.

U.S. Navy R4Y-1

Richard,

I do a lot of flying to Alameda even though it has been updated a lot since last release.
    As an aside, I remember when I was embarked on either the Hancock or Bon Homme Richard and we arrived at Alameda after completing a West-Pac cruise, us squadron types would disembark
    the ship and there was a bus waiting to take us to a waiting Navy R4Y for Nas Miramar. So, it would be nice if a R4Y could show up there now and then. I may just fly in there myself in one for old times sake. I like the idea of the Forrestal in the scenery.
    I have just downloaded a CV-340 and US Navy paint for it. When its put together want a dropbox link if it works?

R

Got your cv-340 and R4Y. Thanks. I'll see if I can re create what I remember from the old days when I was there waiting to board the R4Y for Miramar.

I have just downloaded a CV-340 and US Navy paint for it. When its put together want a dropbox link if it works?

R

Look what I just found:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grumman_C-1As_of_VR-30_COD_1974_(5087877697).jpg   C-131F_Samaritan_VR-30_in_flight.jpg   VR30 Last Squadron Photo at Alameda.jpg  

R4Y at Alameda

All aboard for Miramar.

Members who have read this thread: 3