where did I go wrong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where did I go wrong

Blog Entries

Icon9 where did I go wrong

2 months ago I got this Jack Russell dog, 1 year old.
    it took 1 month for him to get along with my cats, but this dog is like a wild dog,
    he has been in 3 homes and 2 shelters and refuses to mind.

today he got off the dog collar in the yard when I was pulling weeds in the flower bed and he took off, I was right behind him and he acted like he did not even know me.
    I had to trick him to catch him behind a house with no way out.
    I put on a harness on him and he chewed through it in 1 minute.

I spend $20 dollars a week on him and toys, he could not have it better here.
    where did I go wrong
    Look What I Have Become!

Sounds like you need the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan, to get this dog straightened out. Sometimes lots of love and attention won't cut it with a canine in changing his behavior.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Ickie,

All I can say is you do the best you can, which you have. Jack Russells are hyper-active dogs. I have never owned one, but as I understand it they are very much high energy. Wish I had an answer for you. Pete

I am in about the same place, we got a dog a couple of years ago from the pound and it apparently had some early trama and is very skittish.
    No problem going outside at 2 am but if it is daylight out then it is a real chore to get her to go outside.
    I guess there are just some things that can't be undone no matter how much love you give, at least for the non professional.

Shock collar. It works.

If my little dog slips his collar, he stands and waits for me to put it back on. He's never been outside without collar and leash, and feels odd without it.

Jack Russells are the most hyper of dogs. Maybe train him to come to you with a piece of hotdog as a treat. Worked for a chow I once had.

Dick

Blog Entries
    shock collar, this is the first I have heard of them, hummmmmm
    I bought this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-Yard-Rec...oAAOSwLnlWn0nC
    Look What I Have Become!

You know guys, dogs don't train themselves. They don't come trained out of the box. You have to spend time traing them to come when called, walk at heel, behave in public and so forth. If you don't train the animal, don't blame the dog. Don't shock them train them !
    Sue

Blog Entries
    hummm i have 3 cats maybe this is the problem
    latent toxoplasmosis parasite infection
    http://www.newsweek.com/blame-your-r...0123?piano_d=1

as to training well he refuses to learn
    Look What I Have Become!

If you adopt animals from shelters, animals who might have had their share of a messed up past, it might not be uncommon those animals get some kind of (I call it) "feedbacks". No matter how much you invest - be it time, attention, money - a dogīs "personality", his experiences, etc. will get the best of him at times. We just canīt know whatīs on an animals mind. It also happened to our dog and we were living together for about 2 Years or more when it happened. He ran off from home, sneaked out. The dog was totally fixiated to my wife, but just ran off one day. Fortunately he returned by himself and it never happened again. But we were warned at that point.

Just keep on going, donīt blame the dog nor the cats. Relationships are never easy, no matter what species you prefer;-)

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

Given the dog's history... 3 homes, 2 shelters, it is not surprising to hear that he, she is a handful. The first initial "home" didn't work out for some reason, so it was back to the shelter. The dog probably hated being at the shelter and life at one of those is not good, for any animal.. IMO. The 2nd "home" didn't work out either, as the dog was already suffering from the trials and tribulations of being at the shelter, prior to this second chance. So it is obvious that the 2nd owner(s) ended up taking the dog back to the shelter.... (or it ran away and got picked up), not sure at this point.
    Then along you come and take the dog, with all of it's baggage and you tell of these issues. Sadly, you're the one who has acquired a dog with all of these "bad memories" and prior life experiences, and you're finding that the little canine is a terror.
    Persistence IS the key here. Shock therapy is NOT. These things take time and if you want to keep the animal, then you'll find a way to help it overcome its anxiety, and to fit in with the rest of your lot.

I had a similar incidence when we adopted a small shepherd/sheboo mix, with similar issues, and brought her home to a house full of cats. Fortunate had it that the cats of the house helped with the personalization healing process, but it was touch and go for a while. Now the dog and the cats are inseparable, and she's completely over her little ratty behavior patterns.

Best of luck, Ron.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Blog Entries
    what really bothered me was he acted like he did not even know me, I was right on his heals and managed to get ahead of him that's how I trapped him.

between me (the 3rd home) he was on the loose for 2 weeks running the roads.

I have not even taught him any thing in 2 months, he knew how to set and that's all.

I am hopping the shock,viberate,sound and light collar will make him learn something even it is only heal.
    I now have him into a sholder harness and neck collar hooked together so he wont get off again.
    Look What I Have Become!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    what really bothered me was he acted like he did not even know me, I was right on his heals and managed to get ahead of him that's how I trapped him.

between me (the 3rd home) he was on the loose for 2 weeks running the roads.

I have not even taught him any thing in 2 months, he knew how to set and that's all.

I am hopping the shock,viberate,sound and light collar will make him learn something even it is only heal.
    I now have him into a sholder harness and neck collar hooked together so he wont get off again.
    Ron, when I was a kid, we had a mixed breed dog (part collie/part German Shepard) that we raised from a puppy. Our backyard was a huge one, chain-link fence, stayed inside the house at night with us. He
    had one odd quirk. He could be at the back of the yard and as soon as he saw that someone was coming through the gate or had the gate open, he'd take off like a cruise missile towards it. If he got past the
    gate; he was blindly running, paying no heed to direction or purpose. Saw it happen on numerous occasions and was able to catch him before he got too far down the road. Never could explain it nor did
    he ever grow out of it. This was in the 60's and technology didn't offer any of the solutions we have today. I hope one of them will take with your pup!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

what really bothered me was he acted like he did not even know me
    Your dog may have some hunting habbits, too. We used to have a terrier a long time ago. A really great companion, except for one bad habbit: when spotting "prey" (rabbits or other small field animals) he got totally loose, ran off and neither listened nor reacted to any command. No matter how loud you got. He just kept chasing, until he called it a quits by himself. So this behaviour of not reacting is typical animal behaviour when in "stress".

Persistence IS the key here. Shock therapy is NOT.

Even though you feel disappointed now - which to be frank is your own (human) problem in this case - donīt give up! Give this little, probably hurt soul, a good home and a lot of patience. It will pay off!

Alex G.
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

Blog Entries
    for 31 years I have been a Jack Russell owner, 1 full bread and the other a mix bread, both were females.
    This is a mix male Jack Russell,

I was considering taking him to the pond, as I feel no more people should spend any more time and money on this wild beast. he gets along with my indoor cats and the farrow cats outside, but this bolting has to stop. I even put a clamp on my belt to run the lease through. now he has a collar plus a sholder harness hooked together to make sure he cannot excape. I even have a cable made of steel to be in the yard, this is stronger than a chain.

before the shock thing came up I was thinking on a way to make him mind me, heck my neighbors thought I was abusing him when he would bolt and I would yell at him. even kicking him in the butt.

the shock, viberate, light, sound collar has 100 settings and I will start on the lowest setting to start training him.
    first is to heel.
    next is to come.

note I was really pissed when he acted like he did not even know me out in the street and when I cornered him behind a house.
    if he would have showed me his teath when I caught him, ..... well I would have loaded my gun.
    Look What I Have Become!

You kick him, and then expect him to come to you ? You're kidding ?

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    +1
    I don't think Cesar would agree with that approach to dog training. Put yourself in the dog's place and see if your comments above make sense.

Given the animals history the measures you're taking are not going to work Ron.
    The harness is a good idea, the shock collar is a really bad one.
    It is you who has to earn his trust, I'd be taking into account the number of 'homes' the poor little mutt has been in and look into his history.
    And as he's a male, if he hasn't lost the Family Jewels by now you should get that job done ASAP.
    Patience is what you will need, a whole lot of it.
    Good luck.

Edit: You both would benefit from 'Puppy School' or a serious 'Doggy' training school, with both of you working together. It builds trust and companionship.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Patience is what you will need, a whole lot of it.
    Agreed, ....and cheese.

Having owned several Siberian Huskies, who are notorious for bolting through an open gate, I can attest to the power of cheese.

The single slice variety works OK and is quick to access.

With the Sibes, cheese was the full proof method of leading them back into the fence. Worked every time.

cheers,
    Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    THIS!!!

15 months ago we adopted a yellow lab that had been surrendered to a shelter where my daughter works. Daughter alerted us immediately, we visited, and we adopted... immediately! (it was the wife's decision... I was not ready yet, that's another story). Chloe had some tough times the first few months (she likes chocolate (that experience required a visit to her vet, $$$), and she likes fresh bread LOL) but she has adjusted and become part of the family (my wife and myself, plus my adult daughter when she visits). Chloe chewed a few things she shouldn't have, dug a few holes where she shouldn't have, and ate things she shouldn't have (see chocolate above), but right now she is at my side while I type this... not because I trained her to but because I have convinced her that the best place for her is... at my side! The greatest challenge you'll face is convincing that dog that the best place in his world is next to you, but if you take the time and energy to do just that he will follow you to hell and back if you wish him to!!

Like your Jack Russel, Chloe was a runner those first few months (she almost got hit by a car the first week she was with us... ran out of the house right into traffic!!). You must be patient and get into the dog's head!! See the world from his perspective! Understand what he is feeling! And send that damn shock collar back (been there, done that... it is the worst solution for a dog like yours).

Good luck... if you persist and hang with him you will realize a great achievement, and he will too!

Greg

P.S. Chloe does not run out of the yard now... she submits to the stay command. Well, mostly.... she stays plus a few feet out into the front yard. But she does stay in her yard. Much better than when she joined our family. Use your head with that Jack Russel, not that new-fangled BS shock collar you bought. It has no power over the love you can offer the dog!!! Your love and understanding is what will win him over!! All he wants is an owner he can follow!
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Blog Entries
    I know this make me sound like a really bad human, lol
    but this dog has ripped up my carpet in 2 places, chewed 3 holes in my bed, and last night as I was making supper he jumped on the table and started to help himself, not to mention pooping in the floor. not to mention a hundred things I forgot.
    btw he is fixed

hummm why am I so bad.

But otherwise he is loving in the house and playful with the cats and even made the old farrow cat his best friend.
    This morning pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thismorning.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	36442

but when we go outside he becomes a wild beast, tugging, bolting, and pulling, even tripping me, that what got him a boot in his a$$.
    he acts like he is deff, but isn't.

last night I spent over an hour trying to get him to shake hands, he sat there looking at me like I am NUTT's.
    Look What I Have Become!

Blog Entries
    do these invisible fences work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Ground-El...3D151671012870

I need to ask someone who has one and uses it just how good they are.

I have a small yars maybe 20 feet by 50 feet.
    Look What I Have Become!

He's been 'hurt' before and if YOU 'hurt' him with shock therapy it's all over. You're done 'training' him. You are the 'alpha' male (pack mentality reigns in a dog's thinking). But you can establish that 'role' thru training, not shock therapy. Think it over before you ruin what may be a good dog. IOW 'train' yourself first then the dog. Takes persistance and use a reward (threats) to gain his co-operation. But know WHAT to do. Focus on one objective at a time. You're confusing him. Good luck.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    LOL Reme had his first shock, hehehe

I was sitting on my heating pad, (bad sciatica) and Remi got on my lap, and after a few minutes he let out a yelp.

he chewed into the electric cord.
    Look What I Have Become!

My Little guy learned not to chew cords the same way... but he was about 4 months old. Terriers are smart, so he might still come around.

Dick

Members who have read this thread: 1