Just Flight's Constellation repaints ?

Thread: Just Flight's Constellation repaints ?

Hybrid View

Just Flight's Constellation repaints ?

Does anyone know of a good stack of military repaints for the Just Flight Constellation series?
    C-69, C-121, EC-121 or any other?

Rich

I know the Constellation is aging a little since it came out on Just Flight but I was hoping someone would do a " Columbine " repaint of Ike's Presidential plane . As previously stated , we really lack repaints to this popular old AC which a lot of us still fly frequently . I even fly it in P3Dv3.2 . Very few repaints for this grand old bird . I did find a couple over at Ox . Must be a real PIA to paint .

Rich

Sorry , found an old (actually not so old) thread I had written and Daube had responded : " That Constellation has unfortunately some very outdated graphics, especially for the external model which looks like early FS9 stuff. I never saw many screenshots of it. In fact, the simmers preferred the freeware Constellation by Manfred and his team.
    From my side, I couldn't decide between the two of these. The external model of the Payware Connie prevented me from buying it, but now it's one of the default planes in P3D, so I could finally fly it. What I like about it is the complete virtual cockpit, which includes the engineer panel, thus allowing a complete start from Cold&Dark.
    The last version of Manfred's Connie I tried had an incomplete VC, the engineer panel was not available or not clickable, so a Cold&Dark startup was impossible from the VC.

Perhaps there are some additional or more valid reasons, like bad paintkits or bad texture mapping (mirrored, hard to edit, etc...) or stuff like that. Potential repainters would be able to explain this much better than myself.
    It's a shame because a good repaint would probably compensate for the lack of polygons...

Bottom Line : going to download Manfred's Connie and give it a go .
    Thanks- Rich

Dear Crusader

my 2 cents

Nothing to sell,but i own every Connie from the late Howard (only2 D panel) to Alphasim to JF and was team member with all Manfreds Connies

Above statement may be valid for Alphasim but not for JF or MJ

That is JF

Nothing wrong with exterior model ( Which is a mere nightmare to get right because of that shape

And that is Manfred'S

The highest developed ones are

L-1649 and the Turbine Connie by Volker based on Manfred's plane

lockheed_l-1249a_turboprop_super_constellation.zip

My 2 cents

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Sorry , found an old (actually not so old) thread I had written and Daube had responded : " That Constellation has unfortunately some very outdated graphics, especially for the external model which looks like early FS9 stuff.

Perhaps there are some additional or more valid reasons, like bad paintkits or bad texture mapping (mirrored, hard to edit, etc...) or stuff like that. Potential repainters would be able to explain this much better than myself.
    Thanks- Rich
    Agree Ive always like the Connie, however all aspects of the JF/AH texturing of this model as been a huge turn off for me, after looking at the paintkits, the lack of detail has decided myself and others to look elsewhere, the time and effort to produce a detailed repaint is not really worth the time

Thanks Roland and jeansy . I really enjoy both . A majestic old bird with a lot of class . A ton of repaints for Manfred's . I also found a Columbine II for it . A JF-Pan Am and Manfred's with Ike on board . Ike would be proud of me , I made it off Yakutat's (PAYA)shorter runway .

Rich ( I'll have to try the turbo out- thanks for the link)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-3-19_10-10-47-696.jpg   Columbine II.jpg  

JF "Paint Kit?"

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    Agree Ive always like the Connie, however all aspects of the JF/AH texturing of this model as been a huge turn off for me, after looking at the paintkits, the lack of detail has decided myself and others to look elsewhere, the time and effort to produce a detailed repaint is not really worth the time
    Looking at the Just Flight Connie "paint kit" I'd have to reserve judgement on whether it even deserves the name. I've seen worse paint kits, but I don't remember where. No, that's not true. The "paint kit" for the Just Flight Mosquito (the Mk VI with the 5-stack exhaust) is at least equally disastrous for repainting. No layers for panel lines or weathering or markings.. In fact, the kit for the Mosquito is just neon colored shapes for the various parts, with a label of what part it is. NO details. At least the Connie has a base layer that shows some details, but no way for them to show through, or overlay, repaint layers.

The paintkit is not a "skinner's" kit. It was designed back in the day for re-painters. People who painted models from the base up including their own interpretation of detail, weathering, dirt and so on. That's what good re[ainters used to do. Today, people want layered files with everything there. Just slide the colour underneath and add a logo or two and it's done. Sorry, but that's skinning not re-painting. We tend not to supply those types of kits. They take longer to do and we'd probably have to charge for a kit.

Icon12

talking about going nuts, I'm working on a paint/skin for the Milviz PC-6..
    Every single nut seems to be modeled, it's driving me.....you get the idea
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

When you ask for a " proper" paintkit you are asking for source code. If you arent into software development you might not quite understand why there's push back on this so here's a n analogy.

Imagine going into a car dealership buying a car and then demanding to have access to the prototype and the service manuals. But not pay for it.
    Now in the auto world we have people like Haynes who will take a car photograph it , disassemble it and then publish a book to allow you the end user to modify/repair the car. Or you buy the horrendously expensive and more complex written factory service manual. In the first case you are relying on a 3rd party to make the guide. In the second case you are relying on the car maker to publicly release the manual. In both cases you are going to need to pay. It isnt part of the first purchase.

The answer is paidkits ( yep I went there ! ) so say you want a westland lysander for Fsx. you have 2 choices buy the standard edition for 24.95 USD without paintkit or the deluxe edition for 29.95 with the paintkit. Then if at the end of say 6 months the purchases of the deluxe edition far outweigh the purchases of the standard ... well then you could point me to this very thread and I will tattoo mea culpa to my forehead. My thinking is that more people will by the standard edition. And if you want to make your own paintkit and offer it free even though the developer makes one as well... That's progress and the market and I hope that people will do this.

The inclusion or exclusion of paintkits does not increase sales/downloads/life of an addon. Most developers will do something but they arent duty bound to provide a "proper" paintkit

Also alluded to in this thread. Some of the fun of repainting is in fact ... repainting. If you dont have the time to spend on repainting then perhaps it's time for another hobby. I dont have time for plastic modelling so I stopped.

Full disclaimer :
    1. we arent building a westland lysander. Cool plane but NO-ONE would buy it.
    2. I cant tattoo meaculpa on my forehead I have " undies first then trousers " tattooed there and there wouldnt be any more room.

Wow and this all started with the reasonable simple question:"Does anyone know of a good stack of military repaints for the Just Flight Constellation series? C-69, C-121, EC-121 or any other?"

Well obviously the answer is no!

I think the reason why became pretty clear from the discussion which followed.

Although I'm around for quite a few moons and done quite a few repaints and created many dozens of layered paintkits in this period, including several from the bare wire model textures, I had never been aware that there is something like a "skinner kit" which is obviously something different than a "paintkit". And I always though I made some "decent paintkits", but now I have also learned there there is something like a "proper paintkit" which somehow contains the source code (????).

But perhaps don't fully understand everything said here, I think it can be summarised by: "The sellers sells what he likes to sell, and doesn't give things he doesn't like to give for free" and "the buyer, buys what he likes to buy and although perhaps he likes gifts, he can not demand them".

And simplify things even more, people can get my work for free and Barry's and Mike's work costs money. (Which is valid for many other contributors to our hobby).

Cheers,
    Huub

woohoo, paying for paintkits. That would make me stop painting instantly. I do this for fun, and for free, I don't think anybody would pay for my repaints.
    On the other hand, going through complete startup procedures is not my cup of tea, ctrl-E is fine for me. Maybe we should let people pay for more details like that...
    As for old style versus new style paintkit, that's progress. Not many people would pay for a 15 year old model, but something new. There is already a just flight C-47, but I'm still looking forward for Baz's latest, if only to see how things have improved...
    and who knows, there may even be a nice paintkit!
    But I would be perfectly happy with just plain white textures like Carenado offers, no paintkit or layers needed.
    And really simple to make for the developers.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Members who have read this thread: 0