Free:the island of Ireland
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free:the island of Ireland

Free:the island of Ireland

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/home.php
    Free for today only,photo real Ireland

Thanks for the tip. Am trying to download the scenery, but have to say PCAviator has the most f&$#ed up way of downloading a product. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the free scenery, but what a hassle! NC

Thanks for the heads up
    Will it play nicely with ORBX Global?
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I have the download manager and clicked on the FSX install but no files are showing up to download.

I tried moving the d/l manager to another area and no files show. I am about to give up.

Well well well...
    I read "No other purchase necessary", but when I proceed to checkout, I get a error message "In order to perform checkout your order subtotal must be more than $ 1.00".
    Am I doing something wrong?

I gave up on trying to install it. Appreciate the "Free" offer. Thanks but no thanks.

I got past the purchase at $0 and downloaded the installer and manual.
    The actual file downloads fail saying connection has been closed by server.
    Seeing as it shows up in my purchases, maybe I can download another day when their server is not as busy.

SOH-CM-2021
    I'm not using their download/install manager. I managed to download the first seven parts with no problems, but now I can't connect. Will it still be available tomorrow? I hope so!

D.

Quote Originally Posted by 511Flyer View Post
    I'm not using their download/install manager. I managed to download the first seven parts with no problems, but now I can't connect. Will it still be available tomorrow? I hope so!
    They do say if you have purchased this free download it is available to download at a later date ..... This will be one of my first Mega-Scenery look ins, an area I have play with is photo real scenery, to autogen it, would be a challenge but would be a goo experiment to get everyone on board , not everyone's "Pint of Guinness" but I proudly walked down the street last night with a WICKED hat on , think New Zealand must have an extended .. come early St.Patricks day

I will be looking forward to seeing this scenery, It really now has me intrigued.

It is a huge down-load , only a photo wrap across the terrain , I had a good friend who moved from NZ to Galway Ireland , last I heard from him was well over a decade back, be looking forward to check this scenery out.

I got it all downloaded and installed but I had to do everything manually because neither the download nor install managers worked for me. For each of the 19 primary scenery installer files, it took nearly 1 hour to download and I was only able to get 3 or 4 downloading at the same time and it took nearly all afternoon. When I finally got everything in place, the scenery installer would not work (it wouldn't locate the files automatically) so I gave up and installed each of the files manually. Here's the fun part, I did not want that massive 20gb scenery file to eat up more of my SSD space (which I have FSXA on) so I migrated all of it to a folder I created on my onboard storage drive. For each of the 19 files, to get them aimed the intended drive/folder and properly installed in sequence, it took 20 mouse clicks per each one!!! That's 380 left mouse clicks to get the entire installation done not including the previous downloading and unzipping. SMH!!! I did get everything working and the scenery looks incredible from the air and I truly appreciate PC Aviator's gesture but GEEZ! It was an experience that turns me off to downloading and installing such large/complicated scenery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Thanks for the heads up
    Will it play nicely with ORBX Global?
    Rick
    I don't care for any photoreal scenery of this type, so I can't vouch for what color correction would have been done, but basically Megascenery is an "either/or" decision. It doesn't work "with" Orbx, it replaces it in whatever regions you install. It has no autogen to speak of and is only a VFR product, so if you want to view Ireland as it actually looks from the air, it's perfect for that. If you want to view Ireland as it actually is, but then expect to land to view the ground scenery, it will be like landing on the moon, lol.

I think this was a nice gesture, and is a good selling point for it's other areas. However as I've discovered from reading other forums conversations about this particular release, some seem to be amazed that after installing it, there wasn't any autogen. You have to read, pay attention to other discussions about Megascenery and read reviews wherever you can find them before you purchase these photoreal products, so you aren't surprised later.
    Last edited by falcon409; March 18th, 2016 at 00:23.

Biggest thing it was given to us lucky buggers to check it out , Never been to Ireland, still working there on my download and the best thing it was FREE

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    It has no autogen to speak of and is only a VFR product, so if you want to view Ireland as it actually looks from the air, it's perfect for that. If you want to view Ireland as it actually is, but then expect to land to view the ground scenery, it will be like landing on the moon, lol.

You have to read, pay attention to other discussions about Megascenery and read reviews wherever you can find them before you purchase these photoreal products, so aren't surprised later.
    This is one area I love playing around with .. the autogen , ... rule NUMBER 1 .. always use default FSX SDK AGN , I have autogened so many areas in New Zealand once and twice depending FS9 or FSX .. fact is nothing beats photo-real especially .. If you live in the area , Seasons don't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Biggest thing it was given to us lucky buggers to check it out , Never been to Ireland, still working there on my download and the best thing it was FREE
    Yep, it is free, no doubt.

To the lucky ones who got it, be interesting to see a AGN build if it is possible , sure it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    To the lucky ones who got it, be interesting to see a AGN build if it is possible , sure it would be.
    I did that with some payware Hawaii Scenery I bought. Adding the AGN wasn't all that difficult, but the coloring was way off. In other words, by itself, the photoreal textures looked very good, albeit slightly off in coloration. However when I added the AGN. . .UGH. . .looked horrible because the coloring of the photoreal was so far off from what the autogen was that it looked pretty tacky.

Eventually I uninstalled the payware stuff and went back to all Orbx. Much happier with what I have now.

Its how you do the AGN .. after a couple trillion square miles of AGN , Falc , I started AGNen Hawaii for the early low res ... wait till ya see what I might come up with , maybe if ya go IRISH , a collective charge would be interesting

The way the MSE installer works, is you have to place it in the same folder as the files are before you run it. And, the files all need to be unzipped.

I'm assuming this is why it wasn't working for you guys. It's always worked beautifully for me. You can walk away and it inserts all the scenery files in. I have the entire state of California and it's great for immersion. My problem with Orbx is that in most areas that aren't famous, high profile areas, it's not true to life. It looks cool if you don't know how a particular place actually looks, but if you do... What I love about MSE is because it's satellite imagery, every tree, rock, rut, stream, building, dead dog, etc is all where it should be.

Obviously Orbx couldn't hand place every object in the world, so that's not their fault. But in the end, they couldn't draw me away from MSE.

In fact, you only need to unzip the installer, it does everything else for you.

The scenery lacks proper water masking and it is best to stay away from coastlines and
    large lakes.
    This is also the case with my other two megascenery products, Portugal and Switzerland.
    (Luckily, I know a man who does know how to make proper water masks.)

Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by ncooper; March 19th, 2016 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post

The scenery lacks proper water masking and it is best to stay away from coastlines and
    large lakes.
    This is also the case with my other two megascenery products, Portugal and Switzerland.
    Having just seen a few screenshots of this freebie, one shot looked good but the others showed poor colour matching between tiles and poor lining up. This particular user had an area of default scenery in the centre of Ireland too. He's so impressed, he's uninstalling it!!
    Atb
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post

large lakes.

Regards,
    Nick
    It's not going to do anything if it isn't in the same folder as the files.

Here's some pics from P3d that DaveB mentioned earlier.

It's now been un-installed!

and here is some of the "coastline".
    You can see the default coastlines and the white (snowy) infill of default textures where,
    almost everywhere, the default and the photo scenery don't match.

This is the image it came from

They say don't look a gift horse in the mouth..........
    Regards,
    Nick

I have it, but I'm not sure if I will install it. Perhaps not worth to try?

Members who have read this thread: 0