New Runway Textures Pack
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Runway Textures Pack

PSP runway textures

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get a little more constructive criticism. I know the rust and worn green paint aren't right, and they are being worked on. What else do you think? Did the planks extend out the sides like saw teeth? I still plan to make more than a couple variants. Thanks.

ShpHawK
    Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-03-09 03_19_25-CompatWindow.jpg   2016-03-09 04_11_44-CompatWindow.jpg  

shphawk, they look just fine as they are. I like the shading & colouring as you have it. Well done!

Marston Mat PSP

http://pacificwrecks.com/airfields/l...att/index.html

An interesting reference, that shows the Japs at least tried it out at Rabaul. I guess the material & shipping space requirements quickly put paid to any further advances.

PS. I'm not entirely sure we could model the Jap version at Lakunai without making all the Sims PSP runway surfaces look like that, so I'm not advocating you spend time on a Jap version - I just wanted to share

Quote Originally Posted by shphawk View Post
    Hi everyone. I was hoping to get a little more constructive criticism. I know the rust and worn green paint aren't right, and they are being worked on. What else do you think? Did the planks extend out the sides like saw teeth? I still plan to make more than a couple variants. Thanks.

ShpHawK
    Chuck
    I'll second UncleTgt's post. Really do not see any problems.

On the topic of color...steel manganese alloy is blue gray fresh out of the mill. Manganese inhibits rust but in time it will oxidize. No flaking, but more of a brown patina in the surface. (combined in blue gray)
    Couldn't help the pickiness, been in the metal working trade me whole life.

Nice work shphawk.

Blog Entries

Amen!

I am sorry I wasn't around much this week... had some problems to solve in real life...
    I think great progress you have made... perhaps, manipulating a bit those dark demarcating lines could really
    do it some good... if you send me your final (up to now) tile, I'll work on creating an illusion of a thinner line by
    manipulating vector lines... they can be made so tenuous the seem thinner... AT ANY RATE, YOUR STUFF IS
    FAR MORE CREDIBLE THAN THE STOCK STUFF!!!!

Congrats,
    G.

I agree as well.

PSP matts were painted an olive drab with a zinc chromate primer undercoat. I've seen a picture somewhere but I can't find it again.

Never mind - found it.

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    shphawk, they look just fine as they are. I like the shading & colouring as you have it. Well done!

Marston Mat PSP

http://pacificwrecks.com/airfields/l...att/index.html

An interesting reference, that shows the Japs at least tried it out at Rabaul. I guess the material & shipping space requirements quickly put paid to any further advances.

PS. I'm not entirely sure we could model the Jap version at Lakunai without making all the Sims PSP runway surfaces look like that, so I'm not advocating you spend time on a Jap version - I just wanted to share
    Thanks UncleTgt. I appreciate the kind words. After all is said and done, I may give the Japanese matting a try. I would love it if one of the folks adept with scasm could extract the basic runways from the bgl's so that we could apply more variations of the texture if that is indeed possible. It would be nice to have a damageable runway too if that is also possible.

ShpHawK
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    I'll second UncleTgt's post. Really do not see any problems.

On the topic of color...steel manganese alloy is blue gray fresh out of the mill. Manganese inhibits rust but in time it will oxidize. No flaking, but more of a brown patina in the surface. (combined in blue gray)
    Couldn't help the pickiness, been in the metal working trade me whole life.

Nice work shphawk.
    Thanks Dvslats. I tried to google "steel manganese alloy" but I didn't find an image that showed the color accurately enough. Any help would be appreciated.

ShpHawK
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    I am sorry I wasn't around much this week... had some problems to solve in real life...
    I think great progress you have made... perhaps, manipulating a bit those dark demarcating lines could really
    do it some good... if you send me your final (up to now) tile, I'll work on creating an illusion of a thinner line by
    manipulating vector lines... they can be made so tenuous the seem thinner... AT ANY RATE, YOUR STUFF IS

Congrats,
    G.
    Thanks buddy. I could not have gotten this far without your help. I use Paint.Net for a lot of the editing, and I have the file saved in layers. If need be I can save each layer as a bmp or jpg. What will work best for you? Thanks for the kudos, you know far more than I do, I just got lucky this time.

ShpHawK

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    I agree as well.

PSP matts were painted an olive drab with a zinc chromate primer undercoat. I've seen a picture somewhere but I can't find it again.

Never mind - found it.

Thanks Captain Kurt. I've seen that photo, and another similar one that may have been taken by the same person. Unfortunately, because it was cloudy, the colors are too dark. I have OD green in my palette, but the color of the primer is a bit of a mystery. Is it that brighter green aircraft primer that has a slight yellow tint? Thanks Capt.

ShpHawK
    Chuck

Hi Shphawk

Zinc chromate varies in color depending on the paint manufacturer. It's still produced today. It can be anywhere from a pale mustard yellow to a bright green with a yellow tint. The olive drab is an army truck / armor color, not the same color as army aircraft olive drab. More green to it than the aircraft version.

Hope that helps
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Shphawk

The stock runways are something that I have vary little understand of and have been unable to duplicate. I have used BGL Analyze to disassemble the allrunways.bgl but it fails to re-assemble right. A converet to .sca and back to bgl with NO editing and CFS2 shows no runways at all stock airbases.

Also from the looks from the SCASM code the stock runways are not "editable" objects in the since that we can rebuild them in gmax or some other program. Below is the runway for the stock Espiritu Santo. Espiritu Santo is PSP.

; LatRange( S15:31:01.30 S15:30:44.72 )
    ; ----------------------------------------
    ; Object # 1, offset: 0x01C3 size: 45 bytes (0x002D)
    ;; Lat: 0FFE5AFE1h Lon: 076EA3F8Ch
    Area( A S15:31:02.31 E167:13:27.35 100 )
    Runway( S15:31:02.28 E167:13:27.35
    Alt 21.0
    Heading 0.0
    Length 4248 ; in feet
    Width 492 ; in feet
    Markers 00
    Id 0
    Lights 0
    Surface 42
    Threshold 0
    )
    EndA

My guess is that the CFS2 runways are much like the FS98 style in that the center is stretched out and the ends caps are square. You can see this at the stock Midway where to keep the PSP runway center looking square MS had to lay many runways over each others.

Attachment 35868
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Congrats,
    G.
    Gaucho_59

I separated the layers into jpgs. You'll have to remove the white from each one in order to use them. I included the pdn file in case it's easier for you.

Thanks again.

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Shphawk

The stock runways are something that I have vary little understand of and have been unable to duplicate. I have used BGL Analyze to disassemble the allrunways.bgl but it fails to re-assemble right. A converet to .sca and back to bgl with NO editing and CFS2 shows no runways at all stock airbases.

Also from the looks from the SCASM code the stock runways are not "editable" objects in the since that we can rebuild them in gmax or some other program. Below is the runway for the stock Espiritu Santo. Espiritu Santo is PSP.

; LatRange( S15:31:01.30 S15:30:44.72 )
    ; Object # 1, offset: 0x01C3 size: 45 bytes (0x002D)
    ;; Lat: 0FFE5AFE1h Lon: 076EA3F8Ch
    Area( A S15:31:02.31 E167:13:27.35 100 )
    Runway( S15:31:02.28 E167:13:27.35
    Alt 21.0
    Heading 0.0
    Length 4248 ; in feet
    Width 492 ; in feet
    Markers 00
    Id 0
    Lights 0
    Surface 42
    Threshold 0
    &nbsp
    EndA

My guess is that the CFS2 runways are much like the FS98 style in that the center is stretched out and the ends caps are square. You can see this at the stock Midway where to keep the PSP runway center looking square MS had to lay many runways over each others.

Thanks Allen. That is a bummer. I was hoping we could get at least three more runway textures working with the other 5 to give us a little more variety. Now I think I'm going to need a little program that can swap textures so that we can have some variety in a limited capacity. One thing I've realized during this little project is that we all like things a little different and I want to give a little something to everyone.

Chuck

Thanks Dvslats. I tried to google "steel manganese alloy" but I didn't find an image that showed the color accurately enough. Any help would be appreciated.

ShpHawK
    Chuck
    Think this is a good representation. It has different variations of lighting.
    Steel magnesium alloy, raw of the rollers.

shphawk
    It may be possible to build new runways in gmax. We have the length and width of the stock runways but doing so for all stock runways would be a pain in the rear.

shphawk
    It may be possible to build new runways in gmax. We have the length and width of the stock runways but doing so for all stock runways would be a pain in the rear.
    Indeed, it would be a long tedious pain.

I like the quality of the runway you show in the screenshots above.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post

That is the stock runways from above....

Blog Entries

Bmp...

Thanks buddy. I could not have gotten this far without your help. I use Paint.Net for a lot of the editing, and I have the file saved in layers. If need be I can save each layer as a bmp or jpg. What will work best for you? Thanks for the kudos, you know far more than I do, I just got lucky this time.

ShpHawK
    Best to work with is extended bmp because you can work on a high def paint and then convert it to extended bmp without loss of detail...
    and probably best of all... an extended bmp for each layer...

Ciao for now,
    G.

Hi Shphawk

Zinc chromate varies in color depending on the paint manufacturer. It's still produced today. It can be anywhere from a pale mustard yellow to a bright green with a yellow tint. The olive drab is an army truck / armor color, not the same color as army aircraft olive drab. More green to it than the aircraft version.

Hope that helps
    Thanks Capt Kurt, that does help. These pics are for you. You had suggested that I make the tracks on the dirt runway wider. I'm not completely satisfied, but I think it's an improvement.

ShpHawK
    Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-03-11 03_20_10-Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2.jpg   2016-03-11 03_22_13-Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Think this is a good representation. It has different variations of lighting.
    Steel magnesium alloy, raw of the rollers.

Thanks man. That really does help. We all see color differently, and apparently so does Google.

shphawk
    That would be a lot of work, but I'll consider giving it a shot. Right now, working on four mods is enough. Lol

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post

Thanks Shadow Wolf 07.

Best to work with is extended bmp because you can work on a high def paint and then convert it to extended bmp without loss of detail...
    and probably best of all... an extended bmp for each layer...

Ciao for now,
    G.
    I'll get some bitmaps uploaded as soon as I am able. Thanks Gaucho.

Chuck

Shphawk

I think the dirt looks much better now.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Shphawk

I think the dirt looks much better now.

I am with CK, great job on the dirt, no further work required,

Dave