Mesolonghi Airport - Rio-Antirio Bridge and scenery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesolonghi Airport - Rio-Antirio Bridge and scenery

Mesolonghi Airport - Rio-Antirio Bridge and scenery

I had this in the stove for a few months. I started building the small airport of Mesolonghi in Western Greece. When nearing completion, I thought that FS was really missing the big suspension Bridge that connects mainland Greece with Peloponese that was finished in 2004, being the biggest in the world of the fully suspended type. The bridge project turned out bigger than the airport as I ended up doing photoreal coasts with autogen, the medieval castles on both sides and finally, the typical, Greek-style double ended ferries that served the straights for decades before the bridge and still offer a cheaper and, to some, more relaxing alternative. They are now going back and forth as AI boats 24/7.

The scenery will very soon be in the library.

Features of the Mesolonghi airport scenery include:

- Photoreal area with seasonal variations and watermask
    - Custom hangars and containerised buidings
    - AI default trike performing TnGs (in P3D it will work only if you copy over the FSX trike)
    - The technical shool of fisheries on the north side
    - Customized shorelines, to fit with ORBX Global Vector
    - Optional shoreline fix for default scenery

Features of the Rio-Antirio bridge scenery include:

- Custom bridge model, bump mapped textures with hard platform surface and vehicle traffic
    - Night lighting textures and custom roadlights
    - Photoreal scenery for north and south shores, including hand placed autogen and night textures
    - Custom castle models on north and south sides, with bump mapped textures and night lighting
    - Custom model of the toll post on the north side
    - Custom AI ferry boats with constant shuttle service between Rio and Antirio piers
    - Customized shorelines, to fit with ORBX Global Vector
    - Optional shoreline fix for default scenery
    - Optional HDR optimized photoreal textures

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did building it. Dusk/dawn are the best times for the bridge. A soon to be released AI boat plan by Henrik who was king to share it with me is passing under it.

Some pics:

Very VERY nice! Looking forward to this, and thank you for your efforts! NC

It seems the file is larger than maximum for the SOH library. I will try to reduce it and try again tomorrow. Meanwhile, it will be soon up at Avsim, filename: Mesolonghi airport - Rio Antirio Bridge.zip

Edit: I see that limit for zip is abt 500 MB and this one is less than 350. I'll try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    It seems the file is larger than maximum for the SOH library. I will try to reduce it and try again tomorrow. Meanwhile, it will be soon up at Avsim, filename: Mesolonghi airport - Rio Antirio Bridge.zip

Edit: I see that limit for zip is abt 500 MB and this one is less than 350. I'll try again.
    I can only confirm from the sneak preview of the beta that this is a very nice scenery - it brings life and realism to a corner which before was compeletely forgotten in FSX. I had a nice flight over the area and it will of course have additional ship traffic in the new AI ship traffic that I am about to release.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16031203273916112914052672.jpg  

Second try did not work. File is abt 310 MB. I wonder why...

Anyway, I'll let you know when it's up at Avsim.

Now that is an impressive bridge! Very nice work!

Second try did not work. File is abt 310 MB. I wonder why...

Anyway, I'll let you know when it's up at Avsim.
    Great work there Dimus

Regarding file size, a common issue is the size of the thumbnail picture which is reported as if the upload were too big.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Dimus the scenery looks really great!

As already said by Roger, it is in most cases the size of the included images which causes these problems. I don't know whether you have included some high resolution screenshots, but if you did you can best reduce their size to a maximum of 1024.

Cheers,
    Huub

You're right guys, it was the thumbnail. I'll try again with a resized one. The scenery is up at Avsim now, soon here too.

I happened to watch a programme about the conception and building of this bridge a couple of weeks ago (Megastructures/Extreme Engineering..) and you've certainly done it proud Dimus In impressive bit of scenery if ever there was one
    ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave and all!

The file is up in the library here now:
    http://http://www.sim-outhouse.com/s...d=113&id=21035

Let's see some bridge buzzing action!

Hint: the two larger ferries have hard decks. I've left some space free on both ends for daring (small) helo pilots. The bridge road surface is also hard. P3D avatars can walk on it but they run the risk of being run over by a truck!

Εντάξει Δήμο... Απίστευτο scenery... Είμαι από Αγρίνιο και ανεβοκατεβαίνω
    Αθήνα -Αγρίνιο. Στο α/δ Μεσολογγίου δεν έχω πάει, αλλά έχω πετάξει με
    παιδιά της Αερολέσχης paragliding στα Ρέτσινα (πολύ κοντά στο α/δ).
    Είσαι από Αιτωλ/νία ή Πάτρα ?...

For me, being familiar with the area since I was born 40Kms northern, this is
    just fantastic and very realistic !... Thank you very much !
    My Military Flight Videos :

Από Αθήνα, αλλά περνάω κάε χρόνο ανεβαίνοντας στην Ιθάκη για διακοπές. Είχα επικοινωνία με τον αντπέραρχο Πρεβεζάνο στο Μεσολόγγι για λεπτομέρειες. Πετάω με την αερολέσχη Αθηνών και Δεκελείας και σκοπεύω να πάω σύντομα με Cessna στο Μεσολόγγι. Βασίλης

I know its all Greek to you guys but we are exchanging experiences of passing and flying in the area. xpelekis is living very close, I am usually driving by on my way to summer vacations and plan to visit Mesolonghi on a Cessna very soon.
    Last edited by Dimus; March 14th, 2016 at 07:40.

I know its all Greek to you guys.
    Δεν πειράζει. Υπάρχουν μερικοί από μας που μαθαίνουν ελληνικά που είναι ευτυχής για την πρακτική! ...

Wow is all I can say! One awesome piece of Greece. You have already considered most every thing one could ask regarding options and completeness.

However, I did find one wee error in the install instructions. The bridge is 14.5 miles East of the airport -- not West. I did get to see a lot of great bits while searching for the bridge, but finally resorted to looking up the bridge online and there she was in all her splendor -- East of the airport. I've spent the last hour fliting up and down her length in my A2A piper on floats just taking in all the wonderful details.

Thank you so much for this.
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

Quote Originally Posted by racartron View Post
    The bridge is 14.5 miles East of the airport -- not West.
    What a dumb mistake! Thanks for noticing!

Corrected readme:
    readme.txt

To Rami or moderators: Is it possible to replace the readme in the zip file that is in the library?

I am very glad you're enjoying this!

Thanks!

Σασ ευχαριστώ, Διμο. Εξαιρετικό scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwillimas2 View Post
    Σασ ευχαριστώ, Διμο. Εξαιρετικό scenery.
    Now that is something I did not see coming!

Παρακαλώ! Χαίρομαι που σας αρέσει!

Outstanding effort Dimus, thank you for sharing this with the community. Added bonus that the scenery is only a stone's throw from 4 nice Orbx freeware airports in the area making for a splendid tour, LGZA->LGKF->LGPZ->LGIO, arriving at Mesolonghi at dusk.

I'm using FSX with FreemeshX, no Global or Vector, and substituted your stock FSX bgl's as per readme instructions. All is working perfectly with no impact on my frame rate or fluidity. Evening lighting is terrific. Well done!

My only possible suggestion for a future release/revision would be for a nice wooden dock setup at the bridge where the boats are presently docked, for float plane/amphibian operations. I would understand if this is too much effort considering differences between stock fsx/p3d and vector; lack of such a facility does not in the least diminish my enjoyment of this wonderful project in any event.

Yiasou Levendi.

A lovely piece of scenery

FSX.. default in that area so used the supplied CVX files. The only thing I notice is the lack of red's on top of the bridge supports and whites near the bottom.

ATB
    DaveB:-)

Good evening Dimus,
    that sounds like a beautiful scenery!!!
    Can't wait to give a try in a week...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    A lovely piece of scenery

The only thing I notice is the lack of red's on top of the bridge supports and whites near the bottom.

ATB
    DaveB:-)
    There are four effects files to be copied to your effects folder. Have you done so? It is very strange as the small white lights used at the pillar base are the same effects used for the light poles so the effect is there, just not showing for you on the base. Another strange thing is that the reds on top and whites on the bottom, as well as the red-white-green lights on the sides of the bridge road are all-day effects while the ones showing in your shots are dusk-night-dawn only.

Can anyone else check this?

Hello mate..

Yes.. I even double checked (before posting) by dropping the 4 files into Effects again and each one came up. Not that it matters but I downloaded from Avsim.. couldn't wait for it to arrive in our library here
    ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 0