Question regarding ORBX

Thread: Question regarding ORBX

Question regarding ORBX

Hi All, I currently use F1s Ground Environment X and Ultimate Terrain USA. Is ORBX FTX global an upgrade that would be worth the 70$? The screenshots look amazing, is there much hit on frame rates?
    Thanks
    Stan

I doubt very seriously that there is anything out there that is as good or better than Global Basic and Global Vector. No fps hit at all.

Question regarding ORBX

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I doubt very seriously that there is anything out there that is as good or better than Global Basic and Global Vector. No fps hit at all.
    I would second that!

I agree with the previous posters. Long time GEX-UTX user but converted. What the base+vector does not give you is landclass. At the moment ORBX have issued only two landclass products and these are Europe and Canada. For Europe the combination of the three is as good as it can get without invoking region specific tools and photoreal like they do in their regions (e.g. PNW).

Alternatively, you could still use UTX landclass, if carefully positioned in the library.

I agree. After many years with UTX I went to ORBX Global+Base+LC Eu and I have never looked back. It was money well spent IMHO.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I agree. I get NO FPS hit and Global + Vector will transform your FSX world for the better.

There is still some "... how did that happen?....", repeating patterns, and the "stack order " [ ... if carefully positioned in the library... ] can cause a few problems. This is controlled best with the FTX Central 2 (FSX - FTX Global) desktop tool/icon.

Go for it!

I just took the plunge and bought ORBX FTX Global for roughly 46$US.
    I'm planning on using the Global textures with UTUSA 2.1.
    Is there anything I need to do regarding the Scenery.cfg layering?
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how this looks. Downloading now.....
    Stan

There is nothing you need to do with scenery layering if you are just using ORBX Global Base. There will no additional scenery entries. Only the default global ground textures are going to be replaced with the ORBX ones. Make sure you follow tha backup procedure of the default textures that is proposed by the installer so that you can revert back if you need to.

I'm so glad I made this jump.The ORBX textures are a significant upgrade and look quite realistic. It plays well with UTX.
    I had to redo the terrain.cfg edits for Mark's Solomon scenery after install, but otherwise painless.
    I do see an occasional anomaly like trees on a beach but otherwise I'm happy.

Hey guys, just added a bunch of FTX West Coast regions, plus FTX Global.

I'd been using OrbX PNW along with UTX USA 2.1 and they were playing along nicely with UTX and the FSG landclass sitting below PNW in the scenery library. I know the new scenery areas also should sit above UTX.

But what about FTX Global? Is it just textures? Does it matter where it falls in the scenery library order?

Thanks!

FTX Global base is indeed just textures. It will replace your default ground textures. It will not create a new scenery entry so there is no layering involved. during installation it will give you the option to backup your default textures in case you want to revert. Very similar to the GEX products.

I would love to get FTX Global Base but it's still on the expensive side for my video game budget. How often does ORBX have sales like this?

Worthy of note, the LC Canada mentioned above includes the lower 48 (states) and Alaska.

Members who have read this thread: 0