Vertikal Startendes Augklarungs-und-Kampflugzeug

Thread: Vertikal Startendes Augklarungs-und-Kampflugzeug

Vertikal Startendes Augklarungs-und-Kampflugzeug

or vertical take-off and landing fighter aircraft

aka VAK-191B

three prototypes built, later abandoned.

Anyone willing to lend an hand there is a beta available HERE.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VAK-191B_12.jpg  

This plane shares the cockpit with the Fiat G95 ... for now; saved a lot of time. I have very little infos on the real thing; lot of pictures of the exterior, none of the cockpit. If anyone has photos of the interior, please share; I may have a try, one day, at building an historical cockpit.
    Only one I have is this, from a german document

Highlights a special gauge, steuerluftentnahmeanzeige, my guess it's related to the air pressure in the fore/aft/wingtips pipes used for stability control. Questions:

- a good translation for that german word?
    - any idea on how it might have worked?

thanks to anyone sheding any light on this

Corrado
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steuerluftentnahmeanzeige.jpg  

Great stuff! One of my favorite aircraft! Was build here in my home town Bremen! Airbus still has one of the three prototypes (#3) here somewhere on their premises, the other two are in museums in Koblenz and Munich.

I have collected quite a few pictures etc. of the aircraft - not too much about the cockpit, though, I fear. I will have a look!
    http://alternathistory.com/files/270711_VAK-191B_12.jpg
    First of all, "Steuerluftentnahmeanzeige" is the bleed air used for the puffer jets, that is correct. Not all of it was taken from the main engine, since the aircraft had 3, 2 lift engines (tilted at 12,5° from the vertical) and 1 cruise engine with 4 nozzles (actually a R-R Pegasus of the Harrier). Pitch was controlled by bleed air from the forward lifter and the main engine and roll and yaw were controlled by bleed air from the aft lifter and the main engine - hence the three indications in the gauge you mentioned.
    http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/xpla...1/vak191-1.gif

Seawing

Members who have read this thread: 0