Bear Studio J-15 / Su-33 Naval Flanker and carrier ops

Thread: Bear Studio J-15 / Su-33 Naval Flanker and carrier ops

Bear Studio J-15 / Su-33 Naval Flanker and carrier ops

Hi all,

I'm flying the BS J-15 in P3Dv3.1 and I love it so much.
    I have not dived into the manual so deeply yet, as I prefer to take my time to discover the cockpit usually, and memorize it a bit.
    Anyways, recently I saw that video of the real thing taking off from that ex-Russian aircraft carrier:

So of course, I wanted to try it in P3D as well. There were two good news:
    - that Chinese carrier is included in the J-15 package, you just need to add it in the AICarriers config files. And it looks quite good
    - I was able to simulate a non-catapulted takeoff, simply by pressing SHIFT+I to trigger the blocks and jet blast doors, push throttles to max, then SHIFT+I again to disable them, which unlocked my plane without any push. The takeoff in that way is quite impressive, the plane leaves the ramp at low speed, but just enough to keep climbing

However, I had a problem with landings. I couldn't get the velocity vector on he HUD to actually show me where I was going. I don't know if this is due to the "Russian" way and I shouldn't expect the HUD to work the same way as an American one, or if I simply missed a switch somewhere... Anybody could provide me some simple hints ? Having no info about the vertical speed on the HUD makes the landing a bit tricky, I have to say.... Also, that landing area is so short !

Bonus question: is it possible to get an ILS frequency from that carrier ?

Am I the only one flying that magnificient bird in P3D ?
    Here is how it looks like:

Annoyingly I seem to have got the non-carrier version due to confusion on my part about model numbers!
    It took about an hour to complete my usual check of a new model by doing a circuit of Kai Tak, that was mostly taken up figuring put how to tune the ILS. Manuals? Who needs manuals!?

Ah, so you took the J-11, which also includes the Su-27 then ?
    Ah well, not a bad choice. I wanted to buy it but JustFlight kept throwing an "unexpected error" at me, so I got the J-15 and the Su-30 instead.
    The J-15 is an excellent package, because it includes the J-15, the Su-33 (both with different cockpits, and both available -optional- with English labels) and th CV-16 carrier.
    The only thing I don't like is that the AoA limiter switch seems to have no effects. This is mainly annoying with the Su-30, which is supposed to have thrust vectoring in some variants, but not simulated unfortunately...
    So now I've got two Sukhois in my hangar, but none of them can perform a proper Cobra

Just for info, I played a little bit around with one of the aircraft.cfg of the Su-30.
    Just to make it a bit more agile, I increased the elevator effectiveness to 3.0. This worked quite well for the Cobra manoeuvers. The plane was finally acting like what is visible in the airshows.
    However, it performs the Cobra no matter if the AoA limiter switch is ON or OFF... I'm wondering if some gauge may not be working properly in P3D?...

I bought this bird but in over one week, I did not figure out how to use the Autopilot. Was looking forward but I did get a refund from JF.

Daube: Did you figure out how to use the Autopilot correctly?

Err, I don't usually buy this kind of planes to fly them in autopilot, but that's mainly because I usually do short flights with them. So I understand your frustration.
    I will give it a go, after I manage to read the manual :P

Members who have read this thread: 0