The SAAB Viggen released!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The SAAB Viggen released!

The SAAB Viggen released!

Hi,

Henk recently made a FSX native conversion of the old Alphasim SAAB Viggen pack and that of course made me interested in completely remaking the textures (as the original looked rather dated). The Viggen really looks like a purpose build fighter and it was actually designed exactly into the Swedish defence plan of the mid cold war era as "the system 37".

All new HD textures with correct panel lines rivets, details, decals and stencils. The model has quite a few mapping issues, but I think it looks rather smart in the splinter camo after all.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Jakt Viggen from F13 in the early air superiority grey scheme.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Nice! I'll be watching out for the release of these textures.

I have always liked the Viggen, ever since I saw it at RAF Waddington's air show in the 90's where it did its landing, turn around mid runway and take off in the opposite direction.

Thanks Henk for doing this conversion to FSX native. Having a lot of fun with it. It's great to have the Alphasim Viggen back in FSX skies. Thank you too Jen for taking this further. Cant wait to see what version 2 looks like with those HD textures... they look superb.

Matt

The current linup of new HD Paints for the coming V2 pacakge.

SAAB AJ-37 Viggen (37068) from Flygflottilj 7, coded 53, based at Såtenäs in the 1980's

SAAB AJS-37 Viggen (37021) from Flygflottilj 10, coded 21, based at Ängelholm in the 1990's.

SAAB AJSH-37 Viggen (37908) from Flygflottilj 15, coded 81, based at Søderhamn in the 1990's. This Viggen crashed on 6th October 1996 off the Latvian coast while photographing the new Russian cruiser "Peter the Great". While passing the cruiser at low level the pilot Kapten Göran Carlsson suddenly saw a Russian Be 12 directly in front of him and tried to awoid it by taking evassive action, sadly the aircraft impacted the water and Carlsson died instantly.

SAAB JA-37 Viggen (37329) from Flygflottilj 13, coded 69, based at Bråvalla in the 1980's.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

SAAB JA-37 Viggen (37380) from Flygflottilj 4, coded 50, based at Frösö in the 1990's.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Can't wait.... but for DCS by Leatherneck Simulations (this Year!) .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

The DCS Viggen will be an interesting model for sure and it might make me test out DCS.

In the meantime we are making progress with the reworked Alphasim Viggen. Yes it is dated in some aspects, but I think we can make it more than flyable and actually quite enjoyable.

We have also solved how the canard flaps works and Henk has coded it into the model. The flaps are automatically actuated together with the landing gear and the pilot cannot himself control them. They go down with the gear and up when the gear is retracted. The AJ also have a preset trim on the flaps in accordance with the weight of the loaded stores. It was set by the crew chief and could not be changed by the pilot in flight.. I guess pilot was not supposed to drop any of the more valuable stores as tank, ECM pod etc..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Awesome news Jens!

Here's another one I've done using Jens-Ole's excellent HD paint kit. 37432 of F16 at Uppsala, painted blue and yellow for the 75th anniversary of the Swedish Air Force. Known as Petter Bla (Blue Peter)

And an updated version of one in the original pack - 37447 again from F16 at Uppsala,

Hopefully will be published soon.

DaveQ

...and yes it is a VERY enjoyable bird!!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Awesome work. That's one of favorites (planes) and I'm definitely looking forward to the update. Thanks for all the work guys.

Great work by Dave on the F16 Viggens!

Another slightly special scheme was this one from F13. The two tone grey scheme had been modified with ligh grey tail with a medium grey fading at the bottom and the wing badge has been oversprayed sort of inspired by a combination of the F-16 Hill scheme and South African Cheetah schemes.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

A quick update on the Viggen project. Henk has done some real magic to his old model with importing it into sketchup and managing to remap all the trouble areas. Many important texture areas were reappearing in several places, making it impossible to correctly paint details. Several parts were randomly mapped to another texture. All in all a painters nightmare. Henk has done an outstanding job with getting the mapping in order. Elevons, intake/fuselage, all weapon pylons and more are now correctly mapped and painted by me. Particular the weapon pylons stands out as major improvements.
    Henk has also been busy with getting the M/70 rocket pod in correct shape and it is now also possible to load it to all 4 stations which it was cleared for. The same goes for Sidewinders and Skyflash for the Jakt Viggen.
    This makeover has come a long way from a simply FSX conversion, and In my mind this is starting to become a very enjoyable modell
    Some progress shots:

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thanks for all of the hard work and the update. Your persistence is certainly good fortune for the rest of us Viggen fans.

A very big 'Thank You' for all the hard work.
    One overlooked aircraft is getting a great makeover.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I have been working on remaking the main panel texture to HD. Sadly my skills with making the gauges themselves HD are a bit limited..

Old:

New:

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Any News on the Viggen?

Yep :-) We are still working on it. Latest news it that it will have a dedicated JA cockpit as well :-) And bare metal schemes...

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 1