The SAAB Viggen released! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The SAAB Viggen released!

Does this model incorporate alpha channel and specular? Always loved this jet...somehow ive missed seeing this.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

1975 scheme

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Does this model incorporate alpha channel and specular? Always loved this jet...somehow ive missed seeing this.
    Dave Quincey has created the individual specular maps for the bare metal paints, including specular alpha's. The model does not use diffuse alpha. The Viggen bare metal looks rather matte like anodized aluminimum, it was never polished. I think Dave did capture the look of those bare metal Viggens in an excellent way.

The three of us have been working on this project for about 8 weeks now and it's nearing completion. We now have kind permission to use radar and multi-function gauges by Karol Chlebowski in our later JA panel so that should be available too. All the textures will be based on Jens-Ole's excellent 2048 x 2048 paint kit and will cover the whole spectrum of operational schemes worn by the Viggen, in both attack (AJ) and interceptor (JA) roles, together with authentic load-outs changeable by the payload. Here are few examples:

DaveQ

'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Is this TP enabled? Looks like AIM 120's? Great job guys!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Well, if it is possible to allow for the use of Fresnel (affecting reflection) and diffuse alpha, you could achieve some very realistic results with the painted schemes. They do look fantastic already. Something to consider? Anyway. Not be the late comer to the party. It might not be practical at this point. Always like the Saab jets, nice to have someone paying this attention. Thank you! Dave & JensOle, your work is brilliant!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Well, if it is possible to allow for the use of Fresnel (affecting reflection) and diffuse alpha, you could achieve some very realistic results with the painted schemes. They do look fantastic already. Something to consider? Anyway. Not be the late comer to the party. It might not be practical at this point. Always like the Saab jets, nice to have someone paying this attention. Thank you! Dave & JensOle, your work is brilliant!
    Don't forget Henk (hschuit) who did all the work on the models and who started us off on this road!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Don't forget Henk (hschuit) who did all the work on the models and who started us off on this road!

DaveQ
    Fantastic oversight on my part. Thanks Henk!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Another one from the soon to be released Viggen pack. Textures by Dave Q.

SAAB JA-37 Viggen 17-33 (37333) from Flygflottilj 17 based at Ronneby in 1983. This aircraft was delivered in bare metal finish from SAAB. The reason for many JA's being seen unpainted was that the Swedish air force tried to save money on not paying SAAB to paint the new aircraft, but rather paint them themselves during major servicing.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thumbs up, Cant wait for it.

I'm definitely looking forward to this one as well. Thanks for the preview and the update.

Yup. I'm really excited for this one. Great job guys.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

You guys have teamed up and are really doing a fantastic job. Many thanks for your hard work, can't wait to fly it ! Mike

Great to hear that so many are looking forward to the release!

It has been the biggest transformation of an old FS model I have ever seen thanks to the joint effort of the team with Henk and Dave. Not only have most of the issues which ruined this model in FSX/P3D been fixed, but a lot of new features have been made to really make this model shine. Henk has really done some magic with the model. In the end it turned out to be a lot more than simply making the model FSX native.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Excellent work, I am really looking forward to this plane! Will it have a HUD? I don’t know how advance the HUD of the real Viggen was…<o></o>

@ Stickshaker: We used the standard FSX Acceleration FA-18 HUD.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Henk. I'm glad she gets a HUD.

You can get the Viggen at AVSIM now: alphasim_viggen_fsx_native_v2.zip

I hope you will enjoy the awesome paintwork by Dave and Jens-Ole as much as I do, the new textures give the old model a tremendous boost.

Then it finally is released, enjoy and have fun!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Hope you have as much fun with it as we had doing it!

DaveQ

This is one of "Top Five" airplanes I would LOVE to see MILVIZ do:

1. Martin B-57B/EB-57E
    2. F-8E Crusader (RF-8A or G would be a bonus, but is likely too much to hope for)
    3. Lockheed U-2C
    4. Saab AJ/SJ-37 Viggen
    5. Saab Grippen
    6. Lockheed T-33A (the sixth is needed only if Vertigo doesn't finish theirs [and to me, it looks more and more doubtful as we hit the 4 or 5 year WIP point...would LOVE to be proven wrong on this point, however!!!])

This baby looks gorgeous...I love Swedish "splinter camo" on this bird...

Face it...I just LIKE this bird! Well done!

Kent

Just went up for about an hour hop intercepting traffic over Swedish airspace, what a fun jet ! Well done team ! Mike

DaveQ you nailed the textures! Really nice job team Viggen!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 1