Thread: Which One Should I Ride?

Which One Should I Ride?

B-17 or B-24? Hell I might just have to do both

http://www.katc.com/story/31347713/w...s-to-lafayette
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    B-17 or B-24? Hell I might just have to do both

http://www.katc.com/story/31347713/w...s-to-lafayette

I would have to do both; but if it was to be one only, it would be the B-17 as it's my favorite bomber of
    WW2.

But if you do both, you've just covered two of the most iconic planes to grace the air! You'll have a
    piece of aviation history to long remember!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I've been fortunate enough to ride both. You really can't make a wrong choice here. It's all about the experience and how they can transport you back to 1944, and feel what those brave young men went through. You can't go wrong and either way, you'll have a huge smile for days!

I've been in both and had a blast in both, but my vote has to go to the Lib. Nevertheless, It's up to you. Here's a bit of information that should help, from my experience last year. It's very windy in the B-24. This is due to the way the nose turret attaches to the fuselage, leaving gaps for the wind to pass through. Nothing's ever gonna feel like trying to move the waist guns with 170 MPH winds! They won't let you into the top turret or ball turret, and the others will have no power going to them (Though you can sit and pretend). The B-17 gets warm rather quickly and is almost fully closed. But you will be able to be in the nose for longer (They let 4 people at a time in the 17's nose, compared to the 2 at a time limit on the 24). They won't let you into the ball turret or tail, due to the small space in both.

If the option is there, all three! A chance to ride in an early P-51 would be top of my list.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I ended up riding the B-17 and what a ride it was! Never in my life did I ever think I would get a chance like that. I was surprised how smooth the ride was and it really wasn't that noisy at all. I could definitely feel the massive power of the engines through my feet. I got to go to every station except the tail gun while we were flying. What an awesome experience. My friend who was supposed to ride with me fell ill a few hours before the flight so I called a school teacher friend of mine and she reluctantly agreed to ride after I told her that her kids would think she was the coolest teacher at the school. She did very well and only screamed once when we touched down. I took lots of video and pictures and will post some as soon as I can. If you ever get a chance to ride one of these fantastic aircraft I highly recommend that you not pass up the opportunity. It was simply awesome
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready

I know you had to love it.

Rode the B-17, "Yankee Lady". Ain't nothin' like it! (to me!) Got real lucky and was in the bombardier's station when we began our approach and was instructed to have a seat in the jump seat behind the co-pilot and buckle in for landing! Well, OK, if if I have to! What great fun!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Here's the takeoff:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X_3Bl_LW4zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From the top turret:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rQe0rQwut00" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

Cool! Glad that you had a great time!

From the waist gunner position:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XsY9Zwz8JDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Best view in the house.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kq4goJSJnqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Years ago I had the same opportunity and I selected the B-17. It was an absolutely fantastic experience and well worth the money spent. I just wish I could find the video I shot. It was on VHS and the camera was huge and cumbersome, unlike today's digital cameras. Alas, that tape seems to have disappeared. I fear the misses might have used it to record an episode of Dr. Phil.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for sharing the videos. I think in my part of the world the change to have en opportunity join a flight like this is nearly zero, so I'm really happy with the videos.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub! I took the vids with my iPhone. It was difficult moving about in the aircraft, not as much room as I thought. I'm really excited that the takeoff and landing videos came out so well as I was sitting on the floor facing away from the window and holding the iPhone behind my back and couldn't even see what I was recording.

Thank you Scratch for sharing the videos from your experience!

Speaking of the Collings Foundation, they now own another B-17G, which they are currently getting prepared to fly again (last flew in the 90's), which will temporarily take the place of "Nine-O-Nine". This new B-17G they now own is the one previously owned by/displayed at the Evergreen Aviation Museum - in addition to joining the Collings Foundation tour, once flying again it will also be receiving a new, authentic paint scheme. Once it joins the tour (as early as 2017 or 2018), "Nine-O-Nine" will be taken off the tour and will be treated to a much needed extensive overhaul over an expected two-year period. Once "Nine-O-Nine" is back on tour again, it is expected that Collings will likely sell this second/new B-17.

Also, the Collings Foundation has a new TF-51D that will be joining the tour this year, as early as this spring while the group is in California - the aircraft has been under restoration at American Aero Services and is just about complete. This TF-51D will be replacing the Collings Foundation TP-51C "Betty Jane" (very likely the most flown/traveled Mustang in the world, the last 9 years), which they will be selling.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

One more of the landing

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Bqa-fkofc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Members who have read this thread: 0