I've been wondering... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've been wondering...

I mentioned above about multi engined aircraft, but I will confess that I have a few aircraft that I love to fly starting them up by flipping switches in the VC just because of the experience in that particular aircraft. But those are usually single engine aircraft (Alabeo Gee Bee Z being one, or any other Gee Bee). With the Gee Bees, it's probably enjoying the "peace & quiet" before the storm.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I'm a 'both' sorta guy.

There are times when I love to flip every switch, and know that the underlying systems are present and simulated to at least some degree. There are other times when I simply want to jump in and go.

What I personally love, and reward developers with my hard earned cash when they do so, is when I can have both in the same aircraft. I've found that quite a few of the 'in-depth' products allow for both - you can go into it and flip every switch and crank the realism to the max, or you can hit a 'ready to fly' button or switch, dial back the realism and simply head off down the runway.

These days I tend to favor in-depth, yet simple, aircraft or helicopters. For example, one of my favorites still is now-aged 4X DA20-100. It's extremely in-depth, yet simple enough to not require a lengthy checklist or startup routine. And for those days when I don't even have time to go through that simple startup or walk-around, I can choose to have it load up ready to taxi.
    Jim Stewart

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    As a RW Pilot and Ret USCG RD, I follow in your path in Re the Sim. There are just many time's thinking of tossing switch's, scanning and monitoring just drive's me virtually nuts to the point of heading down to Ickie's and raiding his Beer stash lol. I just call it the Bone Tactic, named after SOH member Bone. I'll admit once in a while I like to follow the nose Procedure for Procedure. Usually the Twin Otter ie CC138 and C27J for close RW/Sim reason's. I Still love tossing the manual out the window virually lol, eh anyone in Texas seen my Twin Otter manual lol. I think I lost it just outside Austin at 7500Ft lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    "You can please some people some of the time but not all all the time".

there are times I want to ctrl-e and other times I want to go through the checklist. I love devs who easily allow both.
    Absolutely the case for me too.

I'd add that sometimes I want a simple, easy VFR flight with no complex systems needed, just the Mk 1 Eyeball... other times a challenging IFR tricky met conditions which require complex systems (I'm talking radar etc) to get by (i.e. more than just Ctrl-E vs. cold 'n' dark full system startup/shutdown question).

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

~90% of the time I am flying the AS F-14X, most of the time I prefer to do complete startups and shutdowns, following the NATOPS checklists throughout the flight. That said I am quite grateful for the ready to taxi check box provided in the shift-2 panel as sometimes when scheduling large(ish) multiplayer operations timezones cause people to be a little rushed to make the start time and the ability to instantly (or close enough to) is very helpful for keeping the missions relatively on schedule.

Military Air Simulation
    Fighter Squadron 142

I'm in the "it depends" boat. For beta testing, I really want to start everything following the RW checklist, looking to catch any mistakes early during the development of the new model. Some models that I spent alot of time in, like the VRS F-18E, you really can't "cntl+e" start them. Repetition helps, even in a MP environment, I can be up and ready pretty quick (without radar or flight control BIT checks), spending most of my time checking MU waypoints (the pre-set flightplan). I do like having the developers include the quick start option. I recently jumped back into 2 Iris products to test Tacpack stuff, it was nice to hit one switch and have the jet powered up.

The immersion for me comes with the start, the same with any real world start I perform. If the developers got it right with the sounds, that sense of waking up some form of flying beast is there in the "game" as well. Agree with the limited time to enjoy the sim and just fly, but I continue to practice real world procedures during testing. If I found myself getting typed in a 737 or Q400, then I'll purchase any "pro" versions to get the cockpit flows down, a modern day form of "chair flying" with cockpit posters and manuals.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0