C-1A Trader BuNo 136754 USS Lexington 1976

Thread: C-1A Trader BuNo 136754 USS Lexington 1976

C-1A Trader BuNo 136754 USS Lexington 1976

I just uploaded the repaint of Milton's C-1A Trader in Lexington's C-1A Trader from 1976 sporting it's Bicentennial paint scheme that it still wears in the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

Thinking about next painting a military surplus C-1A rescued from the boneyard and flying as a bush plane.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flight 19-2016-feb-23-010.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

That's one good lookin' paint!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hi Willy,

What a beauty! Thank you very much!

Cheers,
    Maarten

Su-wheet!!!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2020
    Smart looking paint Willy

" ..... Thinking about next painting a military surplus C-1A rescued from the boneyard and flying as a bush plane ..... "

Now that's got my interest

Thanks.

Pete.

Outstanding job Willy!!!

Blog Entries
    That's the best paint yet Willy...thanks!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Lightbulb

Nice repaint .. but do you have (some of you) the same transparency phenomena ?

Quote Originally Posted by Navtech View Post
    Nice repaint .. but do you have (some of you) the same transparency phenomena ?

The transparency is because the fuse, wings, cowl, and nacelles have an alpha channel other than white. To correct this, the alpha channels must be changed to white.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ah, this is what happens when you are painting for a sim you don't have working and you can't check things in (I've mostly been painting with FSX in mind). Easy enough to fix as are the horizontals which aren't supposed to be red.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Ah, this is what happens when you are painting for a sim you don't have working and you can't check things in (I've mostly been painting with FSX in mind). Easy enough to fix as are the horizontals which aren't supposed to be red.
    Well, you need to hook up with someone who has FS9 to do testing for you, or reinstall FS9 just for test purposes.

BTW, the C1A cargo version has both a reflective and non-reflective model in teh package. The reflective version requires the _t at the end of those main texture sheet names to take advantage of the alpha and show some glossiness.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The file has been updated with new 32 bit FS9 textures that have blank alpha layers and the tail surfaces bitmap has been added. They're available in the Warbirds Library now.

I do have FS9 installed and it will start up. But every time I run FSX SE (yes, I went to the dark side), apparently the FS9.cfg (and the back ups) get scrambled to the point that while FS9 will start and I can set up a flight, when I hit the "fly button", it crashes to desk top. To be honest, I just got tired of redoing the thing every time I go to use it. I'm mainly painting for FSX now, but where's possible to make my work available in FS9, I don't mind doing so as for years, I would look at FSX stuff and wish it was available in FS9.

Milton does excellent aircraft that work very well ported over into FSX and if my doing the paints for FS9 as well helps his effort, I'm more than happy to lend a hand in my own little way.

Should anyone be interested in a non-paying quality control inspector gig, let me know. Just be aware that the occasional Gee Bee might pop up.

Edit: The sad part of it is that I knew about the transparency issue, but I got in a bit of a hurry to get the paint released. Hopefully, I can keep that in mind now that I've mucked it up. Guess I need to go back and check the other Trader I released as well.

Icon14

The file has been updated with new 32 bit FS9 textures that have blank alpha layers and the tail surfaces bitmap has been added. They're available in the Warbirds Library now.
    Thank you very much

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sumptuous work, Willy - don't stop now!

I run FSX and 5 installations of FS9 on my new set-up, entirely trouble-free. Do you have your installation inside Program Files? That might possibly be the cause of your issues. The cfg files should have their own separate folders - have you checked this? Not being able to run both sims would be disaster for me.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

I'm not giving up Nigel. There's still about four more Navy C-1A Traders I want to paint (not counting some civil ones) and I've got some more Gee Bees that I'm doing as well (Two of the paints for the Alabeo FSX payware Gee Bee that I've already done, I'm doing again for the Wozza Gee Bee including the FS9 version, plus some more that I'm in various stages of progress with). And I've still got a few more Lodestars that I need to get back to.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I'm not giving up Nigel. There's still about four more Navy C-1A Traders I want to paint (not counting some civil ones) and I've got some more Gee Bees that I'm doing as well (Two of the paints for the Alabeo FSX payware Gee Bee that I've already done, I'm doing again for the Wozza Gee Bee including the FS9 version, plus some more that I'm in various stages of progress with). And I've still got a few more Lodestars that I need to get back to.
    Way to go!

Some of the best textures I've seen of the Grumman series. These and Duckie's paints provide a great choice for fans of U.S. Navy variants. And I'm a fan!

Off to eyeball that awesome looking Gee Bee!

Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members who have read this thread: 1