BMP Viewer

Thread: BMP Viewer

BMP Viewer

I have a question concerning some bmp files in the Pactex 1-5 scenery packages. There were several runway bmp files that my IrfanView simply distorted beyond belief. Now I will be honest and say that I have no idea about any of the design aspect of sims and making anything worthy of saving. With that said I tried to open these files in paint, Kodak pic viewer and even IE7 but no go. For several years I have put up with this and installing mesh and scenery and object files today was aggravating at times. I figure it has to do with 16 bit vs. 24 bit but beyond that I'm lost..

Is there just one viewer that can handle ALL bmp files?

Thanks in advance guys!

Try Martin Wright's DXTBmp available here:
    http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm
    This is pretty much a standard tool in flightsim, opens up aircraft texture bmp's, scenery bmp's etc.

Thank you my friend. I had already started using DXTBmp this am and on a let's see if this works basis. I've had this program tucked away in a back up drive and simply forgot about it. So far it works for the few bmps I have had the time to look at. I have a very basic undertsanding of DXT1, DXT3, DXT5 etc. I am sure though that I would fail a pop quiz however...lol!

This is the first time I am exploring the inner workings of CFS2 at this level anyway. I have messed with FS9 for a few years off and on so I have the installation process down (****!). Now I am beginning to venture into the graphics aspect and I am truly amazed at the results I have achieved due to what so many have done to enhance every aspect of CFS2! And then they have just shared their work? Amazing to me.

IrfanView is cool too and I have experimented changing the numbering of a few older aircraft skins that had one of the fuselage sides merely a flip image with any letters/numbers backwards. Not sure why they were ever released that way...I know it's just basics but I'm learning and that is what I want to do.

Thank you again for your help.

Pat