A very interesting read

Thread: A very interesting read

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

A very interesting read

There are some of us old farts out there that can remember this but for you younger ones this is what we considered State of the Art flight simulation and wondered if it would ever get any better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ight_Simulator

From memory the SubLogic Flight Simulator on the Commodore computers also had a WWI game as well.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    we considered State of the Art flight simulation and wondered if it would ever get any better..

Not too long ago I came across a disk holder containing my copy of Sublogic ATP all nice and preserved awaiting my children's children to load up and start flying.

I still think I still benefit from starting on that sim, the way it's ATC tended to give you a speed, altitude and heading change all at the same time got me in the habit of always thinking of what I could do now to lighten the workload later.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Wow ! That sure makes me feel "old" . Wish Microsoft would LISTEN to it's real and faithful customers . It would go a long way in being successful with flight sims-(including the CFS series). Fans want Simulators not "games" !! The Il-2 series has gone the same way in going from a great combat sim ie.-(Il-2 1946), to merely a game . It's amazing how far we've come since the early days . At least we still have a few good ones left(DCS,RoF,WOFF,ThirdWire,FSX,CFS2/3 and a few others). When you forget your customer base you fail. Simple as that! My first combat sim was Lucas Art's SWotL-(didn't think it could get any better). A great read on the history of flight sims even if it didn't include combat sims. Wish there was a Red Barron III !!

Members +
    I think Microsoft listened to their shareholders. Which is why they closed ACES Gaming Studios.
    Let's face it, we are a great bunch of guys (& Gals) but, by gawd, we can whinge, bitch & moan, which was, I'm sure, a consideration as to why they got out of simming, & gave their FSX franchise to Dovetail & their ESP to Lockheed Martin.

It was good business sense at the time for them to get out. Just think of the savings they had, at the time of DVD manufacture, packaging etc, as well as global inventory & distributorship, of a product that catered for a very small portion of their total product output.

Now, just look at the choices we have... just in flight simming
    I tip my hat to the developers who have to decide which sim to develop for.

Here's another site for more combat sim history:

http://www.index.migman.com/
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

A good friend really likes IL-2, but I just didn't like the way the way the airplanes flew.

Personally, give me the good old CFS and CFS2... now if I could just get them working in W7!

Alan

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Golden Age is now

Just my opinion. I'm still into CFS3 and all its' expansions. A sim that's been around many years and still has more life to it. One of the best WWII cfs ever made even if it was rushed to be released. CFS3 has its shortcomings but thanks to all the hard work put in by talented people make it what it is now. We still have some great combat flight sims out there and thankful for that. Just look at WOFF . Hard to imagine a WWI sim getting any better. Loved the Red Barron series,CFS1,CFS2, EAW and a few others. For diehard combat simmers we are still in the golden age !

Yes wonderful times and fun tweaking. Gone forever due to a nasty person.
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    A good friend really likes IL-2, but I just didn't like the way the way the airplanes flew.

Personally, give me the good old CFS and CFS2... now if I could just get them working in W7!

Alan
    Check your PM's...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 0