Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Ahhhhhhh ....... the memories of the 1984 wire frame version of the SubLogic Flight Simulator on the old Commodore 64 then moved on to the C-128 and then the Amiga which by then had advanced to Flight Simulator II. After that Sublogic was taken over by Microsoft. Flight Simulator 5 was the first FS that had actual buildings and a decent aircraft. How things have changed over the years.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Aussieman,

You are bringing back memories.

I even had the Sinclair ZX Spectrum with the gray rubbwer keys and tape recorder before moving on the the commodore.

The the whit + on a black screen, and we felt like we were flying. I still have the old Fs version somewhere.

Now I have to find a few pennies in my empty wallet to get the scenery, lol
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    I even had the Sinclair ZX Spectrum with the gray rubbwer keys and tape recorder before moving on the the commodore.
    Same here, Manfred, loved that little thing!

Bought it because of a program called "Nightflight" : 2 rows of 12 white dots depicting the runway.The rest pitch black.. A few crudely drawn gauges, amongst them ADF with which you were supposed to find the 12 white dots. A friend in the pub told me he had a similar program for his Commodore64. He believed it was called Flight Simulator. Didn't do anything with it. Would i like to give it a try ? Would i !!??... He gave me his Commodore and FSII on a tape the rest is history.

Bought an Atari1040ST myself and Sublogic FSII. Still have the box, tape and booklets. Always will be icons to me !

Btw, as i was much exited about the news of Orbx doing a new Meigs i already started a thread about it a week or so ago:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-MEIGS-is-back!

Cheers,
    Jan

Memories...

Unlike you old farts , I started at Meigs with FS98.
    What a thrill to get the Skylane up to the Hancock tower and negotiate her through its antennae...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flight Sim History

Here is a site to enjoy a nostalgic look at the history of our beloved pastime:

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htm

Blog Entries
    My first flight simulation was done on a giant redesigned Control Data 8600 mainframe in 1972 (called a Star Cyber something)...I remember it had something like 100 mhz speed. We were using FORTRAN compilers. I had Bruce Artwick's Flight Simulator on an Apple II in 1979-released to the public in 1980. I went to work for Sublogic and my first project was GATO, a submarine simulator. I have owned every version of Flight Simulator that was published. It got much better graphics after graduating to Macintosh in the late 90s. I got my love of flying from Flight Simulator and bought a old restored Cessna 140 when I lived in Livermore, CA 1984. Every time the weather was too bad for flying I flew my simulator.
    Thanks for the memories!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Started on MSFS for Apple Macintosh when it came out in the spring of 1986. So KOAK is my Meigs. Really need to visit there... and Meigs too, where I started a lot of flights to Kankakee and Champaign-Urbana thanks to Charlie Gulick's 40 Great Flight Simulator Adventures.

We've progressed by leaps and bounds but somehow I wonder if anything will ever seem as magical as learning IFR on a whited-out monochrome Mac screen...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Thanks for many hours of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    My first flight simulation was done on a giant redesigned Control Data 8600 mainframe in 1972 (called a Star Cyber something)...I remember it had something like 100 mhz speed. We were using FORTRAN compilers. I had Bruce Artwick's Flight Simulator on an Apple II in 1979-released to the public in 1980. I went to work for Sublogic and my first project was GATO, a submarine simulator. I have owned every version of Flight Simulator that was published. It got much better graphics after graduating to Macintosh in the late 90s. I got my love of flying from Flight Simulator and bought a old restored Cessna 140 when I lived in Livermore, CA 1984. Every time the weather was too bad for flying I flew my simulator.
    Thanks for the memories!
    Ted

I remember playing GATO for hours on end. You brought back fond memories.

Thanks

Has anyone tried this without global? if so, how does it look?

Dave

Greetings
    Dieter
    Win10 Pro 64 bit - RAM 16GB -1 SSD 1TB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 HD 1TB/Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,2 GHz - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - MSFS

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    Has anyone tried this without global? if so, how does it look?
    Dave
    I was wondering the same thing. The Orbx page says it requires FTX Global but I'm still running
    Windows XP and Global won't work with XP. Yes, I know I should upgrade my OS but it will be a
    monumental job reloading everything.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. The Orbx page says it requires FTX Global but I'm still running
    Windows XP and Global won't work with XP. Yes, I know I should upgrade my OS but it will be a
    monumental job reloading everything.
    Not so if you do an upgrade of the OS, it allows you to keep all you programmes. may be some issues but it works with FSX, thats how I refreshed my OS. Works as long as you dont have registry issues. But than you will have to go to win10 and that might break some things.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

I have been using the new Meigs from Orbx for about a week now and do not have global installed. I have several other's NA,Souther Cal, and a few others, I had the orbx scenery activated, and ran the Meigs software, looks pretty good, frames are decent. ALOT more modern looking than our old stand-by but worth the price of admission, if you don't have to buy global. One of the forum members said it "might" work so took a chance. Like it alot. Nice to have a midwestern-eastern airport that well done. Not going to update scenery, if one is offered, just in case they "fix" it.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

What do you mean with "fix" it?
    So far all OrbX Global airports can stand alone as they come with everything they need (mesh, textures, photo ground, objects, AFCADs). The only thing you do need is the current OrbxLibs. It's just that they are made to blend best with underlying OrbX products (doh!). You can use them with default, UTX or similiar. They will stand out but work nonetheless on their own. Meigs is very uncritical in this regard.
    I never tested it but I suspect that this is even true for their 80+ regional airports as well.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

That statement is what I had been looking for before purchase, and no one could-would speak to the fact they would work well with out global. All I meant was fix was should they decide it is only for global is all.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker

The OrbX authors have to blend a photo based scenery with a landclass based surrounding, a very meticulous work that only works with one defined set of landclass - their own. So officially they have to say that this defined set of landclass is a prerequiste for their scenery to work as advertised. Privately they will admit (as Alex, Jarrad, Ken etc. already did) that it will work without the underlying OrbX stuff, it just won't blend very well with the alternative surroundings.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Does anybody know how Meigs is performance vise?

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Meigs is working quite well for me, frames are better than stock scenery. The Meigs scenery is a slight disappointment, because the hot dog cart is missing, used to see it on teh occasional visit. Now that I know the truth behind the orbyx scenery, stand alones, I may try others. Did not like having to buy global, when some of the mesh I have is much better, expecially the 5m I have for some locations, and the 2m for North Carolina, that LCSims did. I use his stuff in NC, IDaho, WV G. and of the highest quality. Would not want to put orbxy mesh there. Mountains in 2M mesh is perfect for low and slow flying.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD

Members who have read this thread: 0