Phantom aircraft.cfg file

Thread: Phantom aircraft.cfg file

Phantom aircraft.cfg file

I tried changing some details in the excellent AFG King Air 300 aircraft.cfg file to accommodate a new texture I'd downloaded. When I started FS9 things were not as I had arranged. I closed and went to the King Air file and opened it and to my surprise, I'd forgotten to put the aircraft file back in. It was still on my desktop! Without an aircraft.cfg file, the aircraft wouldn't even show up in the list of aircraft, so this made me think that the installation put a duplicate aircraft.cfg file somewhere else, and that's controlling things.

Of course I put the altered aircraft.cfg back in the AFG King Air file, and things were still not as I wanted. Yes, I've checked for the little mistakes in the aircraft.cfg file that can mess things up. Even so, that still wouldn't explain how the aircraft can appear on the list, with textures, when there aircraft file was not in the AFG King Air file. When I see the UI title and ATC title different from what I put in the aircraft.cfg file, that tells me there's some aircraft.cfg file somewhere else that's controlling everything on this plane. Any idea where it is?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet Canuck View Post
    I tried changing some details in the excellent AFG King Air 300 aircraft.cfg file to accommodate a new texture I'd downloaded. When I started FS9 things were not as I had arranged. I closed and went to the King Air file and opened it and to my surprise, I'd forgotten to put the aircraft file back in. It was still on my desktop! Without an aircraft.cfg file, the aircraft wouldn't even show up in the list of aircraft, so this made me think that the installation put a duplicate aircraft.cfg file somewhere else, and that's controlling things.

Of course I put the altered aircraft.cfg back in the AFG King Air file, and things were still not as I wanted. Yes, I've checked for the little mistakes in the aircraft.cfg file that can mess things up. Even so, that still wouldn't explain how the aircraft can appear on the list, with textures, when there aircraft file was not in the AFG King Air file. When I see the UI title and ATC title different from what I put in the aircraft.cfg file, that tells me there's some aircraft.cfg file somewhere else that's controlling everything on this plane. Any idea where it is?

Thanks!
    It's not a full cfg file, but a backup that is created each time fs9 is started, look in users (your name) / app data / Microsoft ( or something like that, where you will also find the fs9.cfg file, ) there will be an Aircraft folder. It's safe to periodically delete as you add / remove aircraft, a new folder will be built when you next start fs9.

You'll need your Windows set to show hidden files/folders first.

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks!

Thank you Pete! That's good to know.

If you have FS installed into any Program Files folder, your OS will often refuse to let you change things. It will instead place a copy of the original file (in this case the original aircraft.cfg file) into its own special backup folder and use that one instead. It's another reason many people say to install all things FS outside of any Program Files folder.

Members who have read this thread: 0