A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Sounds

Description: To All that are interested, I have been working for the last couple of years to try to come up with a new sound file for the B-58. I have uploaded a couple of different sound files to the SOH library with some changes that I thought were going to help bring the GlowingHeat B-58 into the FSX world. And the biggest challenge was to include what are called sound cones into the sound file that was introduced in the FSX release. Prior to FSX, the FS9 sim did not have the sound cone technology.

Sound cones are directional and are assigned to a engine sound based on the type of sound it might be. High pitch and intake sounds are heard from the front of the aircraft if you were positioned at the nose of the aircraft and the low rumble and blowing sounds are assigned to the rear of the aircraft. Most newer sound files for the latest releases of aircraft are fashioned in this manner. Most realistic. Because the Glowing Heat B-58 has a FS9 sound file, this technology was not available at the time the original file was produced.

Because of my love for this aircraft, I have been on a mission to make the sound for this beast a little more representative of what can only be interpreted as my idea of what this aircraft might have sounded like in real life. I have never heard a B-58 in real life, and every video I own of the aircraft has no or very poor audio representations. I have seen many F-4 Phantoms up close and personal and know their sound well. I have also been to many airshows that featured a lot of 106's and the more modern F-15s and 14's and 16s with the more modern and efficient engines. Most of the F-4s I saw and heard were B or C models which might be closer to the B-58 engine and that is only a guess. The sound between the F-4 and B-58 cannot be the same because of many factors but it is as close as I will ever get to imagining what a 4 engine version with external engines might have sounded like.
Anyway, the next critical factor in the sound equation is what kind of sound system are you hearing the sim on? Stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 systems or a pair of headphones, it will all differ greatly. The best advice I can give is to become very familiar with your sound system thru your control panel in your computer. Pull up the eq of your computer speaker system and play with the settings. I can tell you that the internal sounds of the sim in the cockpit are in stereo and the outside sounds are all mono. So the speaker system you have is going to play differently from inside to outside sounds. The outside sounds in a 5.1 or 7.1 system will play 90% of the total sound thru the center and front speakers. so try all settings and combinations until you achieve the sound that you want. I can assure you that the sound for the B-58 is there in the sim and if you are not hearing what you want, you will have to adjust your settings until you dial it in. Headphones plugged directly into the computer offer the best sound overall at my sim. I use the front green headphone jack on my computer. My speakers do not give me a good reproduction. I have a 5.1 Realtek onboard sound. I cannot speak to a outboard sound card.
One other note. The FSX sound has a few bugs, big surprise right, so if you change views in the sim sometimes the sound will not follow, so a good thing to remember is if the sound seems not to be right with what you are seeing on your monitor, tap the Q key on your keyboard twice and usually the sound will straighten out.
I am offering my sound file for you to try if you like. My only request is that you post on this thread your likes and dislikes about the sound file so I can maybe tweak the file some more. I am getting pretty "deaf" having been working on this project for months and a fresh set of ears would be most welcome. I have tested the file on both FSX Steam and P3D and both sims are responding identically except that FSX had to much wind noise for the cockpit. This file is from the P3D sim so keep the wind comment in mind. Thanks for reading, Skip

P.S. Go into your GlowingHeat B-58 folder and rename the sound file sound.bak or something else, unzip the new file and then just drop the new sound file into your Glowing Heat folder.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit B-58 HUSTLER Final Try.zip
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.