Windows 7 64bit Professional and FSX Install errors

Thread: Windows 7 64bit Professional and FSX Install errors

Windows 7 64bit Professional and FSX Install errors

Merry Christmas Everyone! I bought a new machine yesterday from Microcenter yesterday, a Powerspec B658 i5 4590 3.30ghz quadcore with 16 gig of ram and Nvidia GTS 450 1 gig card running Windows 7 professional 64bit. I can not install any FSX or FS2004. It will go through the actions of installing FSX and right at the very end it throws two error codes first is 1722 then 1603 and then uninstalls itself. FS 2004 Installs completely and then will not run even XP service pack 3 mode. I have tried the various fixes for these error codes with no success through out the day today. My questions are, does anybody know if the pro edition of 7 64bit just will not run the games or is there yet another fix to try or should just give up and upgrade to the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit upgrade disk that they included? Please help!

Pro should make no difference. Any ver of win 7 will work [and numerous other OS versions/vintages].

First rule of thumb...disable any Antivirus while you install, right click on the installer and 'run as' Administrator, and even disable UAC too - just in case.

Both WILL work, but in a purchased machine there is bound to be 'junk' that's not needed interfering with the install.
    It's most commonly found on laptops and is called 'bloatware'...

Are you installing to the default location? I always create my own folder, never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Pro should make no difference. Any ver of win 7 will work [and numerous other OS versions/vintages].

First rule of thumb...disable any Antivirus while you install, right click on the installer and 'run as' Administrator, and even disable UAC too - just in case.

Both WILL work, but in a purchased machine there is bound to be 'junk' that's not needed interfering with the install.
    It's most commonly found on laptops and is called 'bloatware'...
    I disabled the UAC right off the bat. The antivirus I never had any problem with before but I need to think of things like that because this is not my old box. That was the appeal of this because this machine is Microcenter's house brand and is very free of bloatware just Windows and a free trial of eset nod 32 antivirus which I am not using as Iam used to something different. Thank you for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    Are you installing to the default location? I always create my own folder, never had a problem.
    No I did not I was going to default location but I will give it a try thank you!

Hi, I have been running FSX on Windows 7Pro for several years now, and have no issues at all.

Granted, I use an extensive procedure when installing FSX on any operating system.

I created a document on how to do a clean install, and have shared it with others. Everyone that has used the document has been giving me positive feedback.

If you want to give it a try, then here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/66gb6h4wzi...20FSX.pdf?dl=0

Let me know if you need any additional assistance.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by RKinkor View Post
    No I did not I was going to default location but I will give it a try thank you!
    I just tried installing to a non default location with no antivirus and still got the same errors and it still rolls back the install. Thanks Manfred I will look your document over.

Based on google search results this does not appear to be an issue only with your install. Do a google search using the search term "error codes 1722 then 1603". Many results and lots of information.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Based on google search results this does not appear to be an issue only with your install. Do a google search using the search term "error codes 1722 then 1603". Many results and lots of information.
    I worked through quite a few of those solutions already and no luck so far at all.

Make sure it's installing to the Program Files (x86) folder. This is the substitute Programs folder for anything that is not 64 bit. That includes FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Make sure it's installing to the Program Files (x86) folder. This is the substitute Programs folder for anything that is not 64 bit. That includes FSX.

Rather not. As manfredc3 said in his pdf:
    "2) Do NOT install FSX in the default location suggested by the installer. For optimal performance, install FSX on it's own dedicated hard drive. Do not use a
    partition. If a dedicated hard drive is not an option, install fsx in a folder like C:\FSX."

I have installed FSX (couple of times) during years more or less like he has written on a PC with Windows 7 pro (64 bit version of course). No problems so far.

Yeah OK, what would I know.

Members +
    I have aways installed into default directories, FS9 x versions, FSX & P3D, WITH UAC disabled. Never any issues. I also, for fun, installed another FS9 into its own directory on my C:\ drive. No difference at all.

Anyhow, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the errors you are getting.

I worked through quite a few of those solutions already and no luck so far at all.
    It's a shame that you can't get the program to install. One of my FSX boxes runs Win7 64 bit and I've never had the problem you describe. I don't know if this is a possible solution, but you might as well think about it for longevity of support. My two other installations of FSX run on Win10. Can you upgrade for free? Give it a thought.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

I disabled the UAC right off the bat. The antivirus I never had any problem with before but I need to think of things like that because this is not my old box. That was the appeal of this because this machine is Microcenter's house brand and is very free of bloatware just Windows and a free trial of eset nod 32 antivirus which I am not using as Iam used to something different. Thank you for your advice!
    Chances are there will be junk installed all the same. Recently one laptop company was found to be installing a rootkit which is a hacker's dream.... until Microsoft spat the dummy and demanded they cease or else no OS.
    Eset is known to be a little over-zealous with your 'protection' and often messes with program installs....that is...decides to protect you from yourself...whether you want it or not.
    One day someone will sue regarding the concept of 'false-positives'... and AV companies will have to clean up their act.

There are people out there with the quaint notion the only way to keep a system in order is to wipe it every 6 months and start again.
    You don't. However it is wise to do it once. The first time...

Thanks for all the advice guys! I decided to the deed of the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro that was included with the pc and I can happily report that so far everything is proceeding well. I have succesfully installed FSX and Acceleration and will soon begin the task reinstalling everything else. Again my thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I decided to the deed of the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro that was included with the pc and I can happily report that so far everything is proceeding well. I have succesfully installed FSX and Acceleration and will soon begin the task reinstalling everything else. Again my thanks for the advice!
    I have hit one snag though, when I try to save a repaint to the aircraft cfg Windows 10 says Access Denied any ideas? As far as I can tell I am Administrator but don't know where to look for this problem.

I have hit one snag though, when I try to save a repaint to the aircraft cfg Windows 10 says Access Denied any ideas? As far as I can tell I am Administrator but don't know where to look for this problem.
    Well personally I turn User Account Control off completely as no one else uses my pc. Some say never turn it off but I have had it off since it first appeared on Vista back in 2007 and never suffered any issues. This should allow you full control of your own computer.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

You may have to set permissions for the aircraft's folder via its properties dialog, security tab. Annoying...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Did you install FSX in the default location suggested by the install? If so then there is the reason for your issue. FSX itself will work from there just fine, just adding certain add-on's and making changes is overly protected in that folder.

Sorry Bazzar. I am not stating that you don't know what you are talking about, but not installing FSX in it's default location is based on many years of personal experience installing FSX, and is also confirmed by other well-known Flight simulator guru's.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

SOH-CM-2023
    I've been trying to uninstall Acceleration on my W8.1 tower with no success as yet, as I cannot get it to register the FSX standard, even with SP1 & SP2. Luckily I had made a copy of FSX before removing & have now got it back from the USB & system Restore. This machine has it loaded on disc D, a HDD, in Prog files x86, with disc C being a SSD for my Operating System.
    On the other hand getting Acceleration to uninstall on my W10 laptop loaded in the default location was a doddle with registration automatic from memory I presume & I then installed SP1 & SP2. UAC also set to full authority.
    NOW I did read a M$ trick that one should deselect 'Run in compatibility mode' (Rt click fsx.exe or the FSX icon; then properties) which I had set for the laptop, but not for the Tower. I don't think I shall bother with uninstalling Accel on the tower now though.
    Reason for one system without acceleration? - found that thats the cause of my portover problem when I want to use the Wingfold command on my models, and in any case I don't think there is any use for the other bits in the pack now I've got the FSX gamepack for Gmax.
    Good luck
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Well personally I turn User Account Control off completely as no one else uses my pc. Some say never turn it off but I have had it off since it first appeared on Vista back in 2007 and never suffered any issues. This should allow you full control of your own computer.
    Well, I wouldn't recommend anybody to turn UAC off completely. Then the OS won't show warnings while there is unauthorisized attempt to install something to the system (for example). One could turn off UAC while installing something if neccessary. I have kept it on all the time and have had no problems with any installation not even FSX so far I haven't installed it on it's default location.

A couple of years ago I still used to leave UAC turned off and got a mallware without knowing anything of it untill I once tried to scan my computer for all possible "badware" and threads. It was a tricky one. I had to browse through internet to get a special program that could remove it. Normal methods didn't work. It had among other things turned my virus scanner off so that I couldn't turn it on - not even with administrative rights.

Pekka

Thanks again guys yes I did install to default location as I was trying just to get it to install all the way on Windows 10 after the problems on 7 pro. Fortunately I do not have much installed so far to do a re install. One question I do have is do you guys uninstall add ons first and then the FSX itself or doesn't it matter?

I finally figured it out this morning! I uninstalled FSX and then tried to install it in a non-default location like Manfred and others suggested but for whatever reason that put me back to square one, it would not install. So after a bit of trying coaxing cajoling I got FSX installed and working again in the default location. However I was still unable to install repaints or save anything to the aircraft cfg. I thought changing the permissions in the aircraft folder properties would do it but it doesn't. You have to change it for the entire Microsoft Flight Sim folder not just the aircraft folder. So now everything seems to be working just fine. Btw this worked on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0