Coming to FSX S-2A Tracker - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Coming to FSX S-2A Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Tankerguy72 has been very busy of late so I took on some of the work to help this project move ahead. His work is just too good to leave in the back of a dusty ol' hangar. :-)

After 3 weeks of working on it daily for many hours, we have made great progress inside and outside.

Still a few things to wrap up or improve upon, but this project has made great strides.

Here are a few screen shots; will post more in a bit.

Any update on this, Milton??

Quote Originally Posted by firerx View Post
    Any update on this, Milton??

I talked with TG less than a week ago about this one; too good to just let it sit; very realistic feeling with photo-real textures and massive bump mapping.

He is in process of re-sizing some of the 4096 textures as the texture load was massive. Not sure what else needs to be done but I know it's still a WIP. TG has been super busy and pre-occupied with other things for quite a while now.

Maybe he can update us with the details, but we did talk about the possibility of releasing it as a WIP.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I talked with TG less than a week ago about this one; too good to just let it sit; very realistic feeling with photo-real textures and massive bump mapping.

He is in process of re-sizing some of the 4096 textures as the texture load was massive. Not sure what else needs to be done but I know it's still a WIP. TG has been super busy and pre-occupied with other things for quite a while now.

Maybe he can update us with the details, but we did talk about the possibility of releasing it as a WIP.
    Baby boy arrived Nov 1st. I think I kind of remember what sleep feels like...

Working on the S2 now when I get some quiet time. I have resized most of the textures now and checking how they look. Im hoping a week or two and ill have something to release for all to enjoy.

As always I want to thank Milton for his never ending help and advice. I wouldnt know anything about modeling if it wasnt for him.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the little one.

All I can say is, enjoy, and savour all the moments, even the poopy ones, because all of it just flies by. Seems like just the other day I held our little 3.5lb 2-month early preemie, fighting for her life. Now she's one of the tallest kids in her class of 12 year olds, fastest girl in her grade, a crazy good soccer player, a total science nerd, and, to boot, likes to hop on the sim and fly circuits.

The WIP looks truly stunning!

Will there, even if at some distant point, a naval version, even just a C-1A Trader / COD, with folding wings and tailhook? I'd be happy even if the VC was your current tanker version.

That would make a bunch of us naval aviation nuts superbly happy!

Thanks again for the progress shots - amazing work!

dl

I did 13 variants of the S2 radials and turbos including the S2T series and the EC1A twin tail, military and civilian variants.
    About half of them have been converted to FSX native by Euroastar350, and a few firefighters by me.
    And add to that group this one converted by Tankerguy where I also invested quite a few hours in the VC.

All the other VC's are as the were in the originally released versions.

Here are some of the FSX native models converted by Euroastar350.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-dec-4-001.jpg   ms-2018-dec-4-003.jpg   ms-2018-dec-4-004.jpg   ms-2018-dec-4-005.jpg   ms-2018-dec-4-006.jpg   ms-2018-dec-4-007.jpg  

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Congrats on the little one.

All I can say is, enjoy, and savour all the moments, even the poopy ones, because all of it just flies by. Seems like just the other day I held our little 3.5lb 2-month early preemie, fighting for her life. Now she's one of the tallest kids in her class of 12 year olds, fastest girl in her grade, a crazy good soccer player, a total science nerd, and, to boot, likes to hop on the sim and fly circuits.

The WIP looks truly stunning!

Will there, even if at some distant point, a naval version, even just a C-1A Trader / COD, with folding wings and tailhook? I'd be happy even if the VC was your current tanker version.

That would make a bunch of us naval aviation nuts superbly happy!

Thanks again for the progress shots - amazing work!

dl
    Thanks dl definitely building the memories already. Our boy was 4 days late and weighed in at 9lbs 14.4oz. Will make a great linebacker someday haha.

As for the C-1A see Miltons comment. I mainly just do airtanker variants of aircraft.

Congratulations for your little boy tankerguy72!!!
    Talking of some other kind of baby, I must say I'm really impressed by your S-2A cockpit...
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Blog Entries
    I did 13 variants of the S2 radials and turbos including the S2T series and the EC1A twin tail, military and civilian variants.
    About half of them have been converted to FSX native by Euroastar350, and a few firefighters by me.
    And add to that group this one converted by Tankerguy where I also invested quite a few hours in the VC.

All the other VC's are as the were in the originally released versions.

Here are some of the FSX native models converted by Euroastar350.
    Thanks Milton,

I must have older ported over models, I must have missed the FSX ones during my time away from the sim. I'll look for the latest ones.

Thanks for all your work on those too!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Thanks Milton,

I must have older ported over models, I must have missed the FSX ones during my time away from the sim. I'll look for the latest ones.

Thanks for all your work on those too!

dl
    You will find them if you search euroastar350 in the FSX library.

EDIT: Here are two of them; the other two or three he converted can be found at Simviation or Flightsim.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=18898&sort=d
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    You will find them if you search euroastar350 in the FSX library.

EDIT: Here are two of them; the other two or three he converted can be found at Simviation or Flightsim.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=18898&sort=d
    Thanks Milton,

I'll catch up on the models. Thanks in advance.

TG, great work on the tanker VC, I'm sure it'll be great.

Cheers,

dl

Hello everyone

What news?
    Soon released?
    Thank you.

Alain

-

I recently revised the flight model for it (need to check to ensure I sent it to TG).

He had sent a revised WIP package to test and that was a big help in texture size reduction and overhead. Runs very smoothly now for me.

AFAIK, very much a WIP so its up to TG how he wishes to proceed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Glad to read that the Tracker project is moving forward!
    Happy new year!

There are so many models of the Tracker available I'm a little confused.

First, I assume the model that is the subject of this thread is not yet released?
    Is it going to have both the boattail and squared off engine nacelle's?
    Is it going to be a straight up S-2A, or a modified one to be a tanker/civilian firefighter?

The reason I ask is I'd like to create at least a couple repaints of TS-2's. From my research, it seems all the TS-2's are conversions from S2F-1/S-2A's, Not S-2D's. As was noted earlier in the thread, the C-1A's all have boattail engine nacelle's, whereas the TS-2's have the squared off engine nacelle of the S2F-1/S-2A.

There is an S2F-1 model available, but it's got a radome over the cockpit. Is there another model of the S2F-1 available that's been upgraded to FSX that is without the radome on top? I've seen a couple pictures of TS-2's with radomes, but most do not have them.

I do have an old model from a US-2A that doesn't have the radome, but I get tons of errors with that one when I read it into ModelconverterX (I use it to check my paints), so I'm assuming it's not really FSX compatible. Plus it's got the boattail engine nacelles.

Any history or corrections to my research would be great!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    There are so many models of the Tracker available I'm a little confused.

That's perfectly understandable; I did 14 variants, then made some of them FSX friendly.
    Later, Euroastar350 converted 3-4 of them to FSX native.
    I converted one to FSX native:
    HERE
    This thread is about another variant that Tankerguy72 is converting with my help and permission.

First, I assume the model that is the subject of this thread is not yet released? Correct; see Tankerguy's comments above.
    Is it going to have both the boattail and squared off engine nacelle's? It will be as shown in screenshots above.
    Is it going to be a straight up S-2A, or a modified one to be a tanker/civilian firefighter? It's a CDF firefighter.

The reason I ask is I'd like to create at least a couple repaints of TS-2's. From my research, it seems all the TS-2's are conversions from S2F-1/S-2A's, Not S-2D's. As was noted earlier in the thread, the C-1A's all have boattail engine nacelle's, whereas the TS-2's have the squared off engine nacelle of the S2F-1/S-2A.

There is an S2F-1 model available, but it's got a radome over the cockpit. Is there another model of the S2F-1 available that's been upgraded to FSX that is without the radome on top? I've seen a couple pictures of TS-2's with radomes, but most do not have them. No

I do have an old model from a US-2A that doesn't have the radome, but I get tons of errors with that one when I read it into ModelconverterX (I use it to check my paints), so I'm assuming it's not really FSX compatible. Plus it's got the boattail engine nacelles.

Any history or corrections to my research would be great!
    Thanks!
    Here is some S2 Stuff I uploaded for your reference that may be useful.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...am/s2stuff.zip

Good luck in your quest.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I think many of you may find this interesting. And I bet there's more of them out there. This is the USS Randlolph 1966 Cruise book covering VS-34 and their S-2E's and other aircraft, lots of great pics.

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv15-66/index.html

Here is some S2 Stuff I uploaded for your reference that may be useful.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...am/s2stuff.zip

Good luck in your quest.
    Hi Milton,

So I loaded up your CDF model tonight. It looks to me like it would make the perfect model for a TS-2A, except, as you know, it's missing the tailhook and MAD boom that it seems the TS-2A retained after conversion.

Interestingly, FWIW, when I load it into ModelconverterX, it's looking for fuseinnerrear.dds. I can't find that texture in any of the S-2's I have loaded. Also, none of the control surfaces show up in ModelconverterX(?). As I said, I use it for checking my repaints.

BTW, I just started using the paintkit for the S2F-1. Wow, that's really great, thank you for that.

Tom

Members who have read this thread: 2