The Mallard is here, The Mallard is here!! - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Mallard is here, The Mallard is here!!

Fantastic Ron thanks!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Great work ron. Thank you

Mallard Wien Air Alaska uploaded

Just uploaded N1208 Wien Air Alaska for the wonderful Mallard. This paint proved a bit more of a challenge than I'd anticipated so I hope users will find it enjoyable. Tested in P3D and FSX+Accel.

Also, Australian registered VH-SPL will be along shortly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N1208_Wien-4.jpg   VH-SPL.jpg  

Very nice very retro!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Courtesy of the LDR Group, an FSX Native, highly detailed Grumman Mallard has been uploaded to the SOH "Warbirds Library". . .just in time for Christmas. They have done a really outstanding job of bringing Milton's Mallard into the world of FSX in a big way. Merry Christmas!!

SWEEEEEET. Awesome new bird to add to the fleet of anphibs.
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by kaigun View Post
    First of all - this is excellent work and beautiful plane ! I really enjoy the VC and sounds !!!
    I am among those, who don't like milky windows in cockpit and likes clear views outside for scenery admiration (yeah, I am PPL pilot and have to accept such "imperfect" glass anyway in Cessnas I am flying as a parellel hobby :-) and I have a kind request for help in replacing VC glass texture - yes, it was mentioned few posts before by Double J after Michal remark, to use glass texture from Navion, but I would appreciate some more details on which one dds exactly should be replaced. There are two dds (glass and glass_diff) in Mallard, while there is only one (glass_diff) in Navion - replacing this one gives no effect and maybe Your help will be faster, than experimenting with many textures by trial and error. Thanks a lot in advance !!! With kindest regards from frozen Poland !!!
    Dzień dobry,Kaigun

Replacing the Mallard's VC glass textures by those of the Navion will not work as the method of simulating 'glass reflection' is totally different between the Mallard and Navion VC. The Navion VC uses a texture that holds images of the VC mapped onto the windscreen and side windows parts. The Mallard's VC glass parts do not have such a texture applied. Instead there seems to be a minimal percentage of opacity applied to the glass parts' material which cannot be tinkered with by the user. On top of that a certain amount of 'reflectivity' is added to the glass texture. This creates the slight 'movement' that appears on the VC windows during a turn. Replace the alpha channel of 'Cabin_Glass_mal.dds' with pure white (255,255,255) and it will dissapear. (hope i'm not overstepping my bounds by suggesting that... )

Thanks very much Milton and LDR Group for this beautiful rendition of the venerable Grumman Mallard !

A most welcome addition to the Goose and Albatross ! ( i'm almost sure i have a Widgeon/Gosling somewhere too, haven't i... )

Cheers,
    Jan

The mallard is outstanding!!!. Is there a way to set the mallard lower in the water. I'm proud to have the mallard in my hanger.

I found an oddity which is not a problem that needs fixing, but it is strange. If I roll down either cabin window it will only go down 3/4 of the way then the cursor no longer sees the crank. The only way to get the window back up is to reload the plane.

Very fine aircraft, many thanks to everyone involved.

Terry, I found too that it is a bit tricky to do by a left click/ move mouse at the winder knob. Instead use - at the winder shaft axis, left click-hold/mouse wheel fwd for down & right click-hold/mouse wheel aft for window up. FYI - the window only goes down 7/8ths the way.
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Terry, I found too that it is a bit tricky to do by a left click/ move mouse at the winder knob. Instead use - at the winder shaft axis, left click-hold/mouse wheel fwd for down & right click-hold/mouse wheel aft for window up. FYI - the window only goes down 7/8ths the way.

That works, thanks. I never would have thought of using the right mouse button as that normally pulls up a menu.

It can, but on controls you'll find a lot of fs planes have left or right click to go up and down on some dials... or use the mouse wheel, it works on the window too... hover over the hub as the manual says, and scroll wheel.

Dobry wieczór (Good Evening) Dear Jan !
    Thank You very much for good advice - removing the reflections made a big improvement for looking outside and admiring the scenery is much clearer :-)
    Is there any further way to make the glass full transparent ? I mean the more real look like in outside view ? I enclosed the picture with moving a bit out of cockpit to get the difference between internal and external look of the world. The internal is still a bit "milky".
    Thanks & regards !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mallard_glass.jpg  

still overweight

I have to echo the well-deserved praise for this wonderful airplane. My problem, alas, my bilge tanks won't empty. It is written that the "coding should automatically empty these tanks roughly 4-5 seconds after the aircraft loads." But it doesn't. I've deleted the passengers in the .cfg (you can't see them anyway, so it's kind of spooky having invisible passengers, ha), but the only way, so far, I can lighten the weight is to go into the "change fuel" and make the bilge tanks zero. At present, the four tanks, respectively, center 2, center 3, external 1, and external 2, have, again respectively, in gallons, 771, 1542, 655, and 218. It isn't hard to make them zero, manually, but I wish I could find another way. I seem to be the only person who has had this problem, so maybe I did something wrong when I installed it, but I don't know what it could be. I thought about poking around in the .cfg again, but I'm not that knowledgeable. Maybe if I deleted and re-installed. I don't know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    A lovely airplane. I love it.

RW11,

This has come up in testing albeit very rarely. It has to do with simconnect either being too busy or possibly not all versions of simconnect** are installed or, did you accept the gauges as safe when prompted? No worries as there may be a workaround. Instead of using simconnect directly you can use FSUIPC instead, which in fact does interface with simconnect but is more robust in handling requests.

1. Requires FSUIPC4 installed. Free or registered - here, updates here under the updated modules topic.
    2. Download dsd_fuel_dump.zip from Doug Dawson's website.
    3. Unzip and copy dsd_fs9_fuel_dump.gau to the Mallard/Panel folder.
    4. While in the panel folder, open up the panel.cfg using a plain text editor such as notepad. Scroll down to the [Vcockpit02] section near the bottom and do some editing to gauge05 so it looks like -

Code:
     //gauge05=dsd_fsx_fuel_dump!fuel_dump,  0,0,2,2
    gauge05=dsd_fs9_fuel_dump!fuel_dump,  0,0,2,2
    Load up the Mallard.

I tested this awhile ago when the problem cropped up in testing and it works. Hopefully this works for you.

There is one final alternative if the above doesn't work. Save a flight with the Mallard bilges empty then start off flying the Mallard with that saved flight. We designed it so one wouldn't have to do that.

Please advise.

** EDIT - If you are using P3D make sure that you have the FSX versions of simconnect installed. (SP2 specifically, all of them even better) I believe you can find the the installers in the P3D/redist folder.
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by kaigun View Post
    Dobry wieczór (Good Evening) Dear Jan !
    Thank You very much for good advice - removing the reflections made a big improvement for looking outside and admiring the scenery is much clearer :-)
    Is there any further way to make the glass full transparent ? I mean the more real look like in outside view ? I enclosed the picture with moving a bit out of cockpit to get the difference between internal and external look of the world. The internal is still a bit "milky".
    Thanks & regards !

You're welcome Kaigun. It is very likely that you won't see any VC with which you do not see this effect while moving your view outside of the cockpit windows. I mean it sure is not something exclusive to the Mallard VC. (f.i. check the default Cessna 172). There will always be a difference of some kind between how the scenery looks from within the VC (of aircraft with enclosed cockpits) or from Spotview or any other external view. It comes with 'the glass'... If you'd want to see no difference at all between internal and external view, i.e. no glass at all in the cockpit windows, you're going to feel pretty cold pretty quickly...

cheers,
    Jan

That's clear Jan - I am rather "warm-loving animal", so prefer to have some glass than nothing !!! Thanks again !

Lost a lot of weight

Spokes, thanks again; I'm going to do your #1 suggestion as soon as I get a few technical brain cells in order. For the short term I followed #2 and it works perfectly, I should have thought of it myself. If you empty the bilge tanks manually and save the flight, when you go there again you're bilge-free. If you make it the default flight, you can move the airplane anywhere you want and still be bilge-free. I'm going to do the other thing, just to see if I can, but for now I'm happy. Thanks again.

A secret island lair I am building to get to and from in the Mallard ..

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

The Mallard is here, The Mallard is here!!

VH-SPL just uploaded to the library. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VH-SPL-4.jpg  

ho, that's looking very good!

Meanwhile, variations upon a theme:

almost done...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Beautiful Kiwi Bird!!

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    ho, that's looking very good!

Meanwhile, variations upon a theme:

almost done...
    Thank you sir...as does yours, as always Need to give the folks in Oceania something to fly around in down there. I am re-doing VH-CQA (currently at Evan's Head) that I'd done for the FS9 WIP so, onward and upward.

Wonderful repaints, especially Wien - like a visit with an old friend.

The Mallard is here, The Mallard is here!!

Quote Originally Posted by olderndirt View Post
    Wonderful repaints, especially Wien - like a visit with an old friend.

Glad you like the Wien Air. I am particularly fond of it as well, if for no other reason than the challenge it offered my creaky skills. I have another Australian livery that I am finishing and then a West Coast Air for the next North American machine, another from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by wellis View Post
    Glad you like the Wien Air. I am particularly fond of it as well, if for no other reason than the challenge it offered my creaky skills. I have another Australian livery that I am finishing and then a West Coast Air for the next North American machine, another from the past...
    First saw N1208 when it flew under the Northern Consolidated livery then after they and Wien did a merger.

Members who have read this thread: 0