Highly Frustrated.... now need a new game.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highly Frustrated.... now need a new game.

Highly Frustrated.... now need a new game.

Hi guys, as you may have noticed from my recent thread on difficulties with my X-55 HOTAS, I am out of action on FSX for the time being. the stick is going back to Saitek for warranty repair/replacement. Which leaves me with no ability to enjoy my favorite computer past time.

Sooo... what OTHER sims/games do you guys enjoy that are not needing a joystick?

Eric

The ArmA series are always fun though I always seem to get stuck in the never ending loop of working on stuff for them and never actually playing them.
    If you like Real Time Strategy games the Wargame series are also quite good as is Hearts of Iron. If I am in the mood for turn based strategy I will go play Civilization.
    Kerbal Space Program can be fun without a joystick as well though a joystick does make a large difference and I would say it isn't rocket science to learn, it actually is rocket science (AKA the art of crashing sequentially bigger rockets until something works) failing in KSP can be just as fun a succeeding.

Hopefully one of these will help pass the time until your joystick comes back in working order.

Cheers
    -Josh

Military Air Simulation
    Fighter Squadron 142

Kerbal Space Program! It's a fun quasi-simulator with a ton of depth and has tons of mods. I adore this game.

Command Modern Naval Air Warfare...CMNO

Wanna go to war.. you get a real understanding of how a war is conducted

I played IL-2 1946 for nearly a year before getting a joystick. It's really not that hard playing it with arrow keys, but it is better with one. War Thunder can be played with mouse only, as can the new beta-stage Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China, but it is certainly more arcade.

train simulator TS2016,no joystick,just your mouse and key board,i have a product called raildriver though,its like a new locomotives control panel.its on steam.or you can buy a boxed version.i love it as i dont have to set anything up,just start it and go.

History: Total War Series, Hearts of Iron
    Sports: Football Manager
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, R Factor .......... only need a decent wheel and pedal set!

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Don't know if you're into wargaming, but I've been meaning to try something from Panther Games. Unlike most wargames, there's a realistic command structure and, apparently, good AI, so you don't wind up having to micromanage every rifle company while also commanding a corps. They also do some professional work. I can't vouch for them since I haven't tried them yet, but people are really enthusiastic about them.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Not sure why you need to give up on FSX. For less than the money you pay for another game, there are some pretty good "cheap" joysticks out there. I've used $30 stick for years now.

Ok...so if Solitaire doesn't cut it....

....how about upgrading the 55 to a 65 .... no moving parts in the joystick means it's idiot-proof...

The only *sim* that I use that doesn't require some sort of controller to get a lot out of it is Train Simulator. It's perfectly controllable with mouse and keyboard. However, if you don't dig trains, it's not going to be for you. I can sit almost anyone in front of FSX or XP with a fast aircraft and a joystick and watch them have fun. But the only person who will sit with me and enjoy watching a train for 30 minutes is my 3-1/2 year old son.

There's one fun racing / crashing / derby sim called Next Car Game:Wreckfest that's a blast to play, and it's actually better with a keyboard than a wheel. It's a stretch to call it a sim though.

Oh, another one comes to mind: Spintires. It's a 4x4 mud / slogging sim, very slow motion, and the vehicles are all sort of Russian and utilitarian. It's more than fine with a mouse and keyboard.

Lots of other *games* I'm currently enjoying without any dedicated controls though.

- Shadowrun: Hong Kong
    - Divinity: Original Sin
    - Witcher 3
    - Endless Legend
    - Endless Space
    - Dungeons of the Endless
    - Invisible, Inc.
    - Sunless Sea
    - Rocket League (usable with keyboard, better with xbox controller)

I could go on, but that's pretty much my last 6 months of non-sim games there.
    Jim Stewart

Farcry
    Splintercell
    Silent Hunter III

You could also enjoy a month with less time in front of the PC screen. It can be very instructive. Fix things in your home, learn to play the fiddle, do yoga, whatever. It may change your life.

As Bazzar already said:

From my own experience, the Thrustmaster HOTAS X is quite decent for its price. The Saitek Cyborg is a nice stick, but I wasn't very lucky with them. I had two, but none of them lasted longer than 2 years.

Cheers,
    Huub

Counterstrike: Global Offensive
    Rocket League
    Fallout 4
    Skyrim
    Dirt: Rally
    iRacing.

Choose... but choose... wisely.

[/mlg]

Quote Originally Posted by Firekitten View Post
    Counterstrike: Global Offensive
    Rocket League
    Fallout 4
    Skyrim
    Dirt: Rally
    iRacing.
    Choose... but choose... wisely.
    [/mlg]

Dirt Rally??

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    As Bazzar already said:

From my own experience, the Thrustmaster HOTAS X is quite decent for its price. The Saitek Cyborg is a nice stick, but I wasn't very lucky with them. I had two, but none of them lasted longer than 2 years.

Cheers,
    Huub
    The best. I've had mine for five years or so and never had a problem. Plenty of buttons for various things. One thing it doesn't have that I would like is a trim switch.

Bob

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Dirt: Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Euro Truck Simulator 2 if you have a steering wheel.

Far Cry 3&4 if you like open-world shooters, and Dying light is you like to be scared...

These have kept me busy the last year or so.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by donnybalonny View Post
    You could also enjoy a month with less time in front of the PC screen. It can be very instructive. Fix things in your home, learn to play the fiddle, do yoga, whatever. It may change your life.

dude!! whats wrong with you????

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    As Bazzar already said:

Cheers,
    Huub
    I have the HOTAS X. It feels cheap, it's too light, it makes plastic noises, but it gets the job done, even when a lot is demanded from it, like when dogfighting in Flaming Cliffs 3.

Here's another game that's actually free until december 31: https://www.epicgames.com/shadowcomplex/

This was one of the best xbox 360 exclusives, not kidding. If you ever played the oldschool metroid games, do yourself the favor.

Didn't quite escape.
    I have a HOTAS X - the only thing I dislike about it is the throttle notch, but that's actually really useful in Elite Dangerous, as it gives me a known stop point rather than trickling forwards or backwards. I use the throttle rudder control for vertical translate functions as well.
    Also, my time waster at the moment is ARK: Survival Evolved. I just spent over two hours taming a level 34 Triceratops... I think I ran the entire island out of Narcoberries!

Ian P.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    I have a HOTAS X - the only thing I dislike about it is the throttle notch, but that's actually really useful in Elite Dangerous, as it gives me a known stop point rather than trickling forwards or backwards. I use the throttle rudder control for vertical translate functions as well.
    Also, my time waster at the moment is ARK: Survival Evolved. I just spent over two hours taming a level 34 Triceratops... I think I ran the entire island out of Narcoberries!

Ian P.
    You can also play with curves and have the throttle notch as an afterburner detent, it's pretty nice!

Members who have read this thread: 0