Martin Mariner

Thread: Martin Mariner

Hybrid View

Martin Mariner

I've been working on this bird for a while now, and having seen what great reference the SOH community is able to provide, thought I should make a post about it here. I plan on making all versions of the PBM family, if I can, but for now I have no blueprints for either the PBM-5a (Which rather ironically is the only one I've built so far) or the PBM-1, and no cockpit pictures for the latter. Basically all I know about the PBM-1 is that it carries 4,000 lbs less of bombs than the others and I've heard that they had carpets in the cockpit, to improve sound-proofing. The model is not finished, and I want to make a detailed interior. I have yet to make the trim tabs, and am having a lot of trouble getting the shape of the inboard flaps right, and the overall flap retraction mechanism.

I made most of the model from scratch in blender, with B25Mitch from BeamNG.drive helping me with the bombs and PA_Jeromino from SAS1946 helping me with the engine cylinders. I have not yet made the propellers.

I want to add it into FSX after it's finished, since the only PBMs we have for it are FS2004 natives that don't really match the overall shape (Or profile) of the aircraft. However, FSX is not really my priority, as I'm trying to add it to games that would be easier to get it in first, them move on to FSX. I'm mostly here because there's not a lot of information on this bird, or pictures, or blueprints. While I have the PBM-5 flight manual, it is for the seaplane variant and offers nothing when it comes to the amphibious one, and all the pictures I have of the interior are either schematics from said manual (Which are helpful for the panel, but not really for anything else) and a couple of inside shots of a stripped down Mariner with no bombing equipment, and even those only show the nose and cockpit. If anyone has any pictures, blueprints, or anything at all that might help, I'd appreciate it. I'm strongly considering buying Virtavia's SP-5B, since it and the PBM-3/5 had the same wing, so I'd be able to understand how the flaps work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1_zpsmnz19p9s.jpg   2_zpsv1ueydwv.jpg   3_zpsvsxnemjz.jpg   4_zpsi3ovvi0d.jpg   5_zps4diibmqe.jpg   6_zpsbkcwh5zo.jpg  

7_zpsrw5xfgjd.jpg   8_zpsct4n4qym.jpg   9_zpstdtde78w.jpg   11_zpsxcutpjx8.jpg   12_zpsoci8dlms.jpg  

Maty,

I'm sorry I can't help, but anyone doing the old seaplanes is tops in my book. I can remember seeing four of the Mariners sitting on the ramp at NAS Norfolk way back when I was in the Navy (circa 1962). I hope you get some replies to help you in your quest.
    Cheers,
    Joe

The Virtavia Martin Mars has always been one of my favorites. Well done on the Mariner!!

Maty, you should check with the Emil Buehler Library at the National Naval Aviation Museum:
    library.research@smtp.cnet.navy.mil
    They may have useful details on the PBM-1 and -5, including cockpit photos. There are 55 photos and other items that come up when you do a search for "PBM Mariner" on the library page of the museum website:
    http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/e...ehler-library/

Wow!

You have made a lot of progress on that. And the work shows.

The Blender -> FSX Workflow is actually becoming one of the most straightforward. You really need to take a look at the Blender forum at fsdeveloper.

There's a toolset, that is incorporated as an add-on for Blender. From that point, all of your UV/Textures, Animations, everything can be exported directly to an FSX model file. Including the interior/virtual cockpit, once you get there.

Good luck!

It's good to see another Blender artist working for FSX.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Very impressive.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    Wow!

You have made a lot of progress on that. And the work shows.

The Blender -> FSX Workflow is actually becoming one of the most straightforward. You really need to take a look at the Blender forum at fsdeveloper.

There's a toolset, that is incorporated as an add-on for Blender. From that point, all of your UV/Textures, Animations, everything can be exported directly to an FSX model file. Including the interior/virtual cockpit, once you get there.

Good luck!

It's good to see another Blender artist working for FSX.

- Joseph
    I will most definitely need help with animations, UV and actually splitting the 3d model. I made it (And am still making it) for BeamNG.drive first, so it currently splits into almost all the parts shown below, with the exception of the trim tabs, wingtips and all the separate engine parts. Plus each horizontal stabilizer and vertical stabilizer is its own piece.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Maty, you should check with the Emil Buehler Library at the National Naval Aviation Museum:
    They may have useful details on the PBM-1 and -5, including cockpit photos. There are 55 photos and other items that come up when you do a search for "PBM Mariner" on the library page of the museum website:

I put "PBM Mariner" in the SEARCH box of your library link and all I could get was "Sorry, we can't find anything".

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    I put "PBM Mariner" in the SEARCH box of your library link and all I could get was "Sorry, we can't find anything".
    Try searching for just "PBM", that's what I did. However, no results were pictures of the PBM-1. I plan on contacting them so see if they have any.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    So the e-mail failed to send, just like when I tried e-mailing the Pima Air & Space Museum. What do I do now?

Members who have read this thread: 0