Martin Mariner - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Martin Mariner

Oh thanks for pointing this out, Joseph. Seems I missed those, which is no wonder, for I'm not so much into WW1 aircraft. Anyway, great to see that there are serious alternatives to $$$ 3dsmax !
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Glad to see this. My Dad was an aviation machinist mate assigned to Fleet Air Wing 3 at NAS Coco Solo, CZ during the war. He remembered that mostly he saw PBM-3s (commented on the hassle of putting the wheels on). Besides being at Coco Solo he had to spend time in the USS Ablemarle AV-5 (they called her "Able Mable"). Also on a det to Seymour Is in Galapagos Islands.

So I am interested to see what you end up. There seems to be so much more attention to the PBYs, but per my Dad those were considered "old" and not really up to the task. I have the old Alphasim model from FS-9 days. Never got it work right in FSX.

scott s.

Quote Originally Posted by scott967b View Post
    Glad to see this. My Dad was an aviation machinist mate assigned to Fleet Air Wing 3 at NAS Coco Solo, CZ during the war. He remembered that mostly he saw PBM-3s (commented on the hassle of putting the wheels on). Besides being at Coco Solo he had to spend time in the USS Ablemarle AV-5 (they called her "Able Mable"). Also on a det to Seymour Is in Galapagos Islands.

So I am interested to see what you end up. There seems to be so much more attention to the PBYs, but per my Dad those were considered "old" and not really up to the task. I have the old Alphasim model from FS-9 days. Never got it work right in FSX.

scott s.
    There are updated versions for it, even one that adds opening bomb bays. Regardless, Alphasim never made a PBM-3S. Honestly, I don't think I'll have a hard time making it 122071 had so many changes done that it basically became a PBM-5S with wheels, All I'll need is to re-size the windows at the tail, rework the cockpit and add replace the engine & cowling. Still, if you have any more stories about your dad's days with the PBM-3S's, I'd love to hear about it. I agree with your dad about the PBY, especially if you consider the PBM had twice the bombload and better looks.

Good progress on another unusual aircraft! This is what keeps me interested in FS.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Maty, you should check with the Emil Buehler Library at the National Naval Aviation Museum:
    library.research@smtp.cnet.navy.mil
    They may have useful details on the PBM-1 and -5, including cockpit photos. There are 55 photos and other items that come up when you do a search for "PBM Mariner" on the library page of the museum website:
    http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/e...ehler-library/
    So the e-mail failed to send, just like when I tried e-mailing the Pima Air & Space Museum. What do I do now?

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    Wow!

You have made a lot of progress on that. And the work shows.

The Blender -> FSX Workflow is actually becoming one of the most straightforward. You really need to take a look at the Blender forum at fsdeveloper.

There's a toolset, that is incorporated as an add-on for Blender. From that point, all of your UV/Textures, Animations, everything can be exported directly to an FSX model file. Including the interior/virtual cockpit, once you get there.

Good luck!

It's good to see another Blender artist working for FSX.

- Joseph
    I will most definitely need help with animations, UV and actually splitting the 3d model. I made it (And am still making it) for BeamNG.drive first, so it currently splits into almost all the parts shown below, with the exception of the trim tabs, wingtips and all the separate engine parts. Plus each horizontal stabilizer and vertical stabilizer is its own piece.

Questions are welcome ;-) Model looks nice!
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Questions are welcome ;-) Model looks nice!
    Thanks, man. For now, my only question isn't really regarding FSX importing, but rather about the Curtiss Electric propeller. It seems to have a split about 1/3 of the way through the blade. Does anyone know whether the whole blade changes pitch or just the outer part does?

Those are more aerodynamic sleeves that cover the circular shape of the inner portion of the blade. They are permanently fastened to the blade and rotate with the blade as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    Those are more aerodynamic sleeves that cover the circular shape of the inner portion of the blade. They are permanently fastened to the blade and rotate with the blade as one.
    Thanks for clearing that up, man. I appreciate it.

I might add that the sleeves were added to the existing blades to increase cooling airflow into the narrowed engine nacelles which were narrowed to reduce drag.

I might add that the sleeves were added to the existing blades to increase cooling airflow into the narrowed engine nacelles which were narrowed to reduce drag.
    You mean the cowlings, not the nacelles, right? Yeah, they certainly are narrower. I never gave any thought as to why, since plane like the B-25 had the same type of cowling. I do know it was made longer to fit the new engine.

Alright, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that my friend PA_Jeromino managed to hook me up with a near perfect paddle-bladed Hamilton Standard propeller, made my Hueyman (who I wasn't able to reach), and it's just breathtaking. It was made for a B-17, but after inspecting the few reference pictures I had they seem to be identical (except for size, the PBM's is bigger).

The bad news. First off, my attempts to make a Curtiss propeller by modifying the Hamilton proved less than successful for the blades, which have very diffferent shapes. Secondly, I learned that the Curtiss propeller is a Constant-Speed model, and despite reading about these a lot I'm no closer to understanding how a pilot controls those. The PBM-5 flight manual mentions both a propeller selector (Manual or Auto) and a propeller governor for each one, and says to keep the pitch at "low" for engine start-up, but that's about all it says. There is no mention of the ones equipped with Hamilton Standard blades, and I'm not sure how many used it.

P.S. Does anyone have a Curtiss Electric 4-bladed propeller I can borrow? If not, can anyone help me make one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hamilton.jpg  

As I was just starting on the interior I realised how off the external model was. Right now I'm trying my best to get the shapes right.

Constant speed propellers are controlled using the propeller lever and the throttle lever. Typically the prop sets the RPM of the propeller and the throttle sets the engine manifold pressure. The propeller then automatically adjusts itself to maintain a constant RPM. For one of the (real) aircraft we had a typical setting was 2500 RPM and 25" of manifold pressure as an example, you'd adjust the two controls to maintain that.
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Quote Originally Posted by Firebar View Post
    Constant speed propellers are controlled using the propeller lever and the throttle lever. Typically the prop sets the RPM of the propeller and the throttle sets the engine manifold pressure. The propeller then automatically adjusts itself to maintain a constant RPM. For one of the (real) aircraft we had a typical setting was 2500 RPM and 25" of manifold pressure as an example, you'd adjust the two controls to maintain that.
    Thanks for the clarification. What do you mean by one of the aircraft you had?

hey, very cool aircraft! I love all seaplanes. Looking forward to this!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Would that fit the bill? Looks as if yours are quite a bit narrower though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. What do you mean by one of the aircraft you had?
    My family used to own a FLS Sprint-160 with a constant speed prop, the 2500 rpm and 25" manifold pressure was roughly our cruise setting. However, that is very much an aircraft/engine/propellor specific setting, even the other versions of the same aircraft with the shorter chord props had different settings. It's actually the aircraft modeled with the assistance of T6Flyer available on BritSim http://www.britsim.com/index.php/en/...AP/lang,en-gb/
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Would that fit the bill? Looks as if yours are quite a bit narrower though ...
    I think it would fit. It may only look narrower because of the pitch they're in, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure what propeller it is.
    Do these shots help?
    http://www.vr-24.org/Aircraft_photos..._WaltSmith.jpg
    http://s53.photobucket.com/user/Poor...riner.jpg.html
    http://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/Igo...5Q6715/web.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prop47.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    P.S. Does anyone have a Curtiss Electric 4-bladed propeller I can borrow? If not, can anyone help me make one?
    Here is a quick and easy way to make a nice prop blade. It's how I do it in Max but you should be able to do the same thing in Blender.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr....435306/page-2

Here is a quick and easy way to make a nice prop blade. It's how I do it in Max but you should be able to do the same thing in Blender.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr....435306/page-2
    I'll be sure to take a stab at it. Thanks, Paul.

Sorry for the lack of progress updates, most of it has been related to coding this thing for BeamNG, instead of working on the mesh. However, I do feel I have enough reference to start work on the Curtiss propeller soon. I have also start re-making the nose, to get a more accurate shape, though I feel I may ahve gotten a bit carried away. Also shows the first bit of what you'd see inside the real thing.

Yes, I am aware the pitot tube is supposed to be only on the right side, but I'm using mirror modifiers while I work on the interior.

P.S. Mjahn, those propellers you made are the paddle type, not the same as the PBM. Though I d think they are correct for a B-32. Sad how we don't have one of those for FSX or FS2004. I might take a step at it at some point in the future, since I do own the flight manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pbmrandom_zpssah0m1hc.jpg   IMG_1429.jpg  

Well, here are the Curtiss Propellers (In feathered position). Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtiss blender.jpg  
    Last edited by Maty12; December 29th, 2015 at 14:06.

Members who have read this thread: 2