Frame lock

Thread: Frame lock

Frame lock

Had an interesting find the other day.
    Usually I keep the frames locked at 60. This gives me a very good, clear, smooth graphics except for AI being jerky when flying with them.
    So I decided to lock the frames at 30 for a flight. This made the AI nice and smooth, with a slightly less clear graphics. A little grainy.
    But then I noticed the pan rate was speeded up as well as the rate when moving the view point, up/down-left/right, was much faster. And very jerky. Also, my trim adjustments, using buttons on my flight stick for the trims, slowed way down to a crawl.
    Has anyone seen this before?

Not really Robert. I fly "unlimited" so I rarely see much stuttering and I know you can set the "pan_rate" in the FSX config file so I'm not sure how the adjustment you made for framerates affected something preset in the config file. Interested to see if anyone else has experienced this though.

Like Ed I run unlimited. See what that does for you.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I did try with the frames unlimited. Similar pan rates/trim speeds and jerky AI as having them set at 60 except with aircraft that have shaking, vibrating panels, like A2A's B17, these go from shaking to a wavy look. Like being under water.
    This was also with some time spent adjusting/playing with NVidia graphics settings at different frame rates.
    I am also at a loss as to why the different pan and trim speeds.
    Running a 4790k, NVidia 970.

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    I did try with the frames unlimited. Similar pan rates/trim speeds and jerky AI as having them set at 60 except with aircraft that have shaking, vibrating panels, like A2A's B17, these go from shaking to a wavy look. Like being under water.
    This was also with some time spent adjusting/playing with NVidia graphics settings at different frame rates.
    I am also at a loss as to why the different pan and trim speeds.
    Running a 4790k, NVidia 970.
    What's your pan rate set to in the FSX.cfg file?

Could not find any pan rate in the CFG.

Could not find any pan rate in the CFG.
    Sorry Robert, that was FS9, in FSX the pan rates are part of the Cameras.cfg file in the same folder as the FSX.cfg file. . .designated as PitchPanRate= and HeadingPanRate=

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Not really Robert. I fly "unlimited" so I rarely see much stuttering and I know you can set the "pan_rate" in the FSX config file so I'm not sure how the adjustment you made for framerates affected something preset in the config file. Interested to see if anyone else has experienced this though.
    Does that mean that with unlimited we' ll have less stutters?

Video settings and frame rates are system dependent. What works well for one system might not work well for another.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Ok.
    Pitch is 30
    Heading is 75
    I have TrackIR which is independent of those settings but you can increase them (if they function the same as FS9) up to 99. It may take a bit of testing but try increasing those numbers and see if that doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Video settings and frame rates are system dependent. What works well for one system might not work well for another.
    +1 Thank you for stating the obvious. I have tried unlimited and it was a joke. What works for one simmer and how they want the sim to work will not necessarily work for another.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

I have tried, with my antiquated computer, unlimited, 60, 30, 24, and 20 fps limited. What works well in one scenario does not work well in another. Generally speaking, limiting frames seems to work better in situations where the computer/video card is struggling to keep up. Slow loading textures and blurry textures will decrease with limited frames, but often there will be stuttering with AI, panning, and taxiing. It's a trade off.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I have TrackIR which is independent of those settings but you can increase them (if they function the same as FS9) up to 99. It may take a bit of testing but try increasing those numbers and see if that doesn't help.

Sorry to mislead about this. I am not trying to change the pan rates, just interested in why they change when setting different frame locks.

Members who have read this thread: 0