Landing a helicopter? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landing a helicopter?

Something to remember in a conventional single rotor helicopter is that the aircraft is supported from the motor hub, with the CG significantly below. There is an appreciable pendulum effect as one slows into a hover, which one must compensate for. Think of a yo yo or plumbob on a string, note how it will pitch up (swing fwd) as you bring it into a "hover". This is where the active compensation of an inherently unstable system comes in.

Accurate controls are necessary with zero null zone. From flying FSX choppers I taught myself enough that transferred to real choppers for both my instructors to say I was the best student they ever had. Because of the lack of seat of the pants feel, FS may be harder!

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post

Accurate controls are necessary with zero null zone. From flying FSX choppers I taught myself enough that transferred to real choppers for both my instructors to say I was the best student they ever had. Because of the lack of seat of the pants feel, FS may be harder!
    That's funny, Tom, I had the same experience when I went for some chopper lessons. My instructor's comment after a few lessons was 'I really don't see what you need me for, lol'. And I agree with you, flying FS choppers is a touch more tricky than real.

Steve:

There are however more ways than I could have possibly imagined to kill yourself in a real chopper. So far I haven't found auto rotation to be all that realistic in FSX, at least for low inertia rotor systems. I did map an engine kill switch to the joystick.

Cheers: Tom

Have you tried it in the Dodo? Not that realistic still, but much better than the others I think.

Members who have read this thread: 0