Call for research material... (Fairchild C119G Boxcar) - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Call for research material... (Fairchild C119G Boxcar)

Thanks for the latest news Larry ! Mike

Thanks Larry. I'm thinking this is gonna be a keeper!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I hope this project can finish. I remember maybe 10 C-119's flying in a row from Selfridge AFB.

I have a good set of interior shots if youre interested. Heres a few.

Thanks for the photos, they are all appreciated. It looks like the photos are from a different model to the one we are building (a G model) as there are a number of differences, especially on the quadrant/centre console.
    Larry

Oh, yeah this is a B model. Well hopefully they helped in some way Looking forward to this Box

Icon25

Wow I'm glad to hear this is still alive ! It will be worth the wait. You guys do such quality work!
    Thanks
    Sue

We've been very busy lately and I thought I'd give you a look at the latest development. Bear in mind that everything is still a WIP and nothing is finished yet (especially textures, sounds and effects). The VC is also coming along nicely with all the switches and knobs animated and coded.

The slow start-up is all custom coded and will require the addition of a control DLL (details on how to do that will be supplied) but if you don't want to do that it will also start like any other aircraft with a simple CTRL+E.

Enjoy!

Larry

Woohoo! Thanks for that preview, another plane I'm greatly looking forward to flying.

Thanks team LDR, looking prop-tastic!

And It comes alive ... awesome LDR Team !!! Mike

Let's not let this slowly disappear to another page Feedback is desired!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Blog Entries
    Hey Larry, great job so far! I flew on several times on one of these as a kid out of Kelly Air Force base. My uncle worked there as an aircraft mechanic. I even got to sit in the co-pilot's seat for over an hour on a trip to Altus Air Force Base in the late 50s! This brings back some great memories...Thanks to you and your team! By the way, I just remembered a quirk that the mechanics had to change out-the front wheels shimmied like crazy over 45 knots on the ground! LOL
    Ted
    Last edited by txnetcop; February 2nd, 2017 at 07:34.
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I've heard of the shimmy issues before and may even have seen a reference to it in one of the POHs somewhere.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    The slow start-up is all custom coded and will require the addition of a control DLL (details on how to do that will be supplied)
    XMLTools? If so, feel free to nick the installation instructions from the manual for any of my major projects. Haven't heard complaints about them so far.

Regarding the bosster engine: Been brainstorming with Tankerguy over at FSDev about how to make mixed propulsion work because his C-123 project is for is the pimped out turbo version. I think the most feasible way to make it work is adding an acceleration offset via XMLTools when the jet is running and then adjust the drag table in the .air file so that acceleration and drag will cancel each other out at the reference speed for combined powerplant operation (if applicable). Gauge indications will have to be faked and you'll need to account for fuel consumption, but that's one of the easier tasks.

Bjoern,

Yes it's XMLTools! Never had need for using it until now and am slapping myself for not delving into to it earlier.. It looks like we're going with a 3rd engine for the JATO, still in tests.
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Yes it's XMLTools! Never had need for using it until now and am slapping myself for not delving into to it earlier.. It looks like we're going with a 3rd engine for the JATO, still in tests.
    You're involved in the project? Well, it's in good hands then!

A third engine might turn out to be a bit complex to implement, but if you can pull it off, kudos to you guys.

I thought I'd give you a bit of an update on how the VC is coming along. Most is now complete (there may be a couple more switch boxes if we can ever find decent photos/documentation of the labels/boxes so that we can see which switch does what). Textures are of course still WIP and WILL change no doubt before release.

With the above said here's an overview.........

Here's the rear office....

Finally here's the overhead panel, all switches and knobs move but some are INOP in the sim.......

Things are moving along quite quickly at the moment.
    Larry

looking good! great job cant wait to get my hands on it!

Larry, would it be possible to make the jet engine optional ? I'd like to use the Boxcar in the civilian role with Air Hauler, and a small cargo operator would probably not retain the jet. I'm thinking of maybe the jet engine disappears from the external model, and in the VC you could have an 'Inop' label appear on the jet engine controls, as with the Sperry unit in Jan Visser's VC for Manfred Jahn's C-47. Is that possible ?

We've discussed this many times and you will be able to show/hide the jet pack.
    Larry

We've discussed this many times and you will be able to show/hide the jet pack.
    Thank you.

I should make it clear I guess that the 'we' I referred to in the previous post meant the team working on the project and not the general forum population. I just re-read that post and it came across as a bit misleading and implied that it had been discussed in this thread and so everyone should know already. Sorry about that!
    Larry

Wow this looks good. I've got a soft spot for the Boxcar, my grandfather worked in the Fairchild factory in WWII building them. I've always felt a connection to them, although he referred to them as "twin tailed b*st*rds."
    Sue

I should make it clear I guess that the 'we' I referred to in the previous post meant the team working on the project and not the general forum population. I just re-read that post and it came across as a bit misleading and implied that it had been discussed in this thread and so everyone should know already. Sorry about that!
    Thank you, that clears it up. I did wonder.

Members who have read this thread: 0