Alphasim Crusader goes native FSX - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim Crusader goes native FSX

'cept it ain't my paint, it is the original author's ..
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    When in doubt .. improvise, experiment.

Here is my paint (nothing done to it since the FS9/portover time) . .

Thanks, I noticed that in your zip that there are two new folders that contain the same smaller inventory of textures. What is that about? Looks like one of 'em contained the original files that I was working with that rendered black bird. The top folder in your zip looks to contain a LOT more bmps then what was originally supplied. Thanks for the files. Just trying to figure out the logic used in what you did. Looks as though you borrowed inventory of files from another texture. See, that's where I am tying to understand how to augment the files to the deathangel textures.
    Which files or file folder do you cherry pick from to make the necessary inventory?

Just trying to figure out the logic used in what you did.
    Don't try. I haven't a clue .. It is down to Ninjamouse's wild and wacky way of setting it up. In many of my F-8 texture folders there are dozens and dozens of bmps that don't apply to the given texture. That's just the way Carl did it. I just added my own mods and left all the leftover stuff in the folder. I have as much fun flying, trapping etc as I do trying to troubleshoot these kinds of challenges. You need to analyze the situation and then experiment, use trial and error until you see the result desired ..

That said, this model has to be one of the very best FS9 ports and now FSX native redux's I have ever experienced in 10 yrs of FSX. I got the model back about 2005 and it is probably the most plane I have flown.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Don't try. I haven't a clue .. It is down to Ninjamouse's wild and wacky way of setting it up. In many of my F-8 texture folders there are dozens and dozens of bmps that don't apply to the given texture. That's just the way Carl did it. I just added my own mods and left all the leftover stuff in the folder. I have as much fun flying, trapping etc as I do trying to troubleshoot these kinds of challenges. You need to analyze the situation and then experiment, use trial and error until you see the result desired ..

That said, this model has to be one of the very best FS9 ports and now FSX native redux's I have ever experienced in 10 yrs of FSX. I got the model back about 2005 and it is probably the most plane I have flown.
    I appreciate the info. Up until now, I was unfamiliar with Carl Edwards, and I still am, other then you mentioned his name here.
    With what you said ^ about adding your own mods (files) I guess you did your own "trial & error" as you feed extra bmps in the mystery texture till you come up with something that works.
    I looked at the "extra" bmps in your zip and where they were borrowed from to give this thing some commonality with one the basic textures that work. Just trying to learn what texture
    they were pulled from, perhaps VF-24 texture. Now what Mr Carl had to do with all this I don't know. I really appreciate your time and help. And much thanks for your file.

"Butch"

I guess you did your own "trial & error" as you feed extra bmps in the mystery texture till you come up with something that works.
    Exactemente!

Exactemente!
    Sounds like it was all based on hope and a prayer on your part.

I did examine those two "New Folders" and noticed they had same bmps withdifferent file names. i.e., F8J_Somthing in one folder and F8E_Something in the other new folder.
    Then, from what I can tell, you took the contents of the basic texture folder or one of the F8 Navy folder's (lets just say VF-24 for giggles eh?) and blended into one texture pot
    both new folders and the basic texture. Would that be a reasonable guess?

Originally Posted by expat
    Don't try. I haven't a clue ..

Again, I am just trying to learn from all this but it sounds like if you didn't have a clue (as you alluded to ^ ) then maybe it is the blind leading the blind.

Wish I knew who this Carl Edwards is and what is his claim to fame on all this?

Cheerio

GE - Carl Edwards was responsible for the original textures on the payware Alphasim F-8. It is his unique method of putting all the textures for all the paint schemes into one texture folder and have the models determine which texture files to call from it, that has been frying brain cells here...!!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    GE - Carl Edwards was responsible for the original textures on the payware Alphasim F-8. It is his unique method of putting all the textures for all the paint schemes into one texture folder and have the models determine which texture files to call from it, that has been frying brain cells here...!!

DaveQ
    Ah, so, Thanks for this nugget of info.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Ah, so, Thanks for this nugget of info.
    Yes, it's frustrating trying to get some of the splendid skins to work with Henk's F-8v2. I will stick with what I have useable.

Sister Squadron's VF-24 and VF-211 From USS Hancock

Be nice to have repaints of one/both - and also a USS Hancock for them . .

Be nice to have repaints of one/both - and also a USS Hancock for them . .

I was with them when embarked on USS Hancock and USS Bon Homme Richard. THe one you see there from the Hancock, look at the ventral stabs.
    Those 5 migs kills I helped with back in 67. The red color looks a bit faded. I don't remember the black used with the red in the checker pattern.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 8th, 2015 at 08:42.

I was with them when embarked on USS Hancock and USS Bon Homme Richard. THe one you see there from the Hancock, look at the ventral stabs.
    Those 5 migs kills I helped with back in 66/67. The red color looks a bit faded. I don't remember the black used with the red in the checker pattern.
    That is just so cool, GE. I think the black in the checker pattern might be just shadow. I think VF-24 only used the yellow color in 1970, otherwise other years it mostly red, but the pattern of that squadron seemed to change almost yearly.

Here is picture of me (Left) on the USS Hancock, the other guy was my LPO (Leading PO). All the mig kills VF-24 made were while on USS Bon Homme Richard.
    I knew all those pilots. They went on in their careers to become Captains or Admirals. The story on the Half Mig by LTJG Dempewolf was at first the kill couldn't be confirmed; later on,
    it was.

WIP of my quick and dirty lash ups - 90% copy & paste - the rest MS Paint filler. Needs a bit more work (underfin checkers too large, among other things).

WIP of my quick and dirty lash ups - 90% copy & paste - the rest MS Paint filler. Needs a bit more work (underfin checkers too large, among other things).

VF-211 (sister squadron) had the bigger checks. We had the small checks, VF-211 called us "Bite Size". We called them Brand "X"
    Would be cool if the five little migs could be put on the ventrals of a VF-24 paint with maybe USS Bon Homme Richard (Bonny Dick) in place of USS Hancock.

Agree GE! What is beyond my skills is doing that V-shaped kind of chevron on the tail + everything else! Would be great if DaveQ could use his considered talents on this pair of cool paints.

Something like this (Mig kill detail) 'cept 4 1/2 migs were on the real deal. Plus USS BonHomme Richard in lieu of the Hancock. We were embarked on the Bonnie Dick when all the action took place

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Here is picture of me (Left) on the USS Hancock, the other guy was my LPO (Leading PO). All the mig kills VF-24 made were while on USS Bon Homme Richard.
    I knew all those pilots. They went on in their careers to become Captains or Admirals. The story on the Half Mig by LTJG Dempewolf was at first the kill couldn't be confirmed; later on, it was.

I worked for LCDR Tim Hubbard when he came to VFP-63 in 1970. At the time I didn't know about his MiG kill. He wanted me to go out on his photo det but I declined, they were going to Coral Sea and I had already made two trips out on her.

I Remember

Back in my F-8 days, I remember seeing this sign in my VF-24 Maintenance Control work center at Miramar. Good 'ole days. I remember the smell of Turco soap in the air as I walked from my barracks
    to the Hanger.

Some further work ..

images hosting

Some further work ..

images hosting
    Say, that's looking good there. Brand "X"

I might also do a VF-24 like the one in the photo - I think 1970 was the only year they had yellow markings, all the other years they are red and look very similar to VF-211.

Here's the other one from the photo. An F-8J showing the five victory symbols on the ventral fins. Guessing the yellow flashes on nose and tail have red surround. Rudder (pain..!) not done and the star and bar is too small so will fix before publishing. Name of the pilot unknown but will use one of those above unless GE knows otherwise.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Special thanks and appreciation to Dave Quincey whose repaints I like and have used as a base. I think his USN "gull grey" color is slightly warmer and less blue-ish then the default paints and matches better the period aircraft I have seen IRL.

Here's the other one from the photo.
    Holy Gunfighters Batman!

Dave - our posts just crossed. That looks sensational and you have just saved me hours doing my miserable MS Paint hatchet job that looks 1000% worse than your fine work!

Members who have read this thread: 0