Alphasim Crusader goes native FSX - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim Crusader goes native FSX

Blog Entries
    Thanks GE,

You're seeing those VF-84 textures because they're the ones the F-8B (F8U-1E) model calls for by default. It's another manifestation of the weird way Carl worked with shared textures. The solution is to dump all but the model-specific textures, pulling the shared textures from the common textures file by use of the texture.cfg. By now, I'd know which ones to keep, so I should be ok - I just didn't know Henk converted the B - not sure how I missed that.

That model will do me fine!

dl

Long and short nose Crusader versions

There is a lot of confusion here about which Crusaders versions should have long nose models, and which should have short nosed models. The confusion is caused by Alphasim (Virtavia) mislabeling what their models should have been! If you look at either the Detail & Scale or In Action publications, you will see that the F-8E (F8U-2NE) had the larger AN/APQ-94 radar from the onset. The F-8E radar nose was therefore the longer and rounder version (hence the term "Long Nose"). The F-8J's were remanufactured F-8E's with various features that had been developed for the French Navy's F-8E (FN). These features included double hinged leading edge droop, BLC and a little larger horizontal stabilizer. However, for our purposes the F-8E and F-8J look the same, and both have the nose IR sensor. Therefore you should use the "model.F-8J" for all your F-8E and F-8J squadron textures (just label the textures accordingly). Alphasim did include a short nose version - but wrongly called it the "model.F-8E", which it is not (because no F-8E had a short nose). The only Crusader variations that had a short nose were the F-8C (F8U-2) and the F-8D (F-8U-2N), These were also remanufacturer by Vought as the F-8K and F-8H. The remanufactured versions retailed their short noses. So, you should only use the short nose (what Alphasim called "model.F-8E") with F-8C and F-8D squadron textures. The beautiful VF-84 texture is for a F-8C that was flown for several cruises on the USS Independence (CV-62).

Question for our wonderful model maker / slash anyone else: The original Alphasim model (and our present one) has a gray 'shelf" that that you can see in the lower left and right hand side, just forward of the Windscreen frame (alongside the outer edge of the instrument cowling). Surely the space between the inside of the windscreen glass and the forward instrument cowling wasn't like this (not near this wide)?

ATB, Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    There is a lot of confusion here about which Crusaders versions should have long nose models, and which should have short nosed models. The confusion is caused by Alphasim (Virtavia) mislabeling what their models should have been! If you look at either the Detail & Scale or In Action publications, you will see that the F-8E (F8U-2NE) had the larger AN/APQ-94 radar from the onset. The F-8E radar nose was therefore the longer and rounder version (hence the term "Long Nose"). The F-8J's were remanufactured F-8E's with various features that had been developed for the French Navy's F-8E (FN). These features included double hinged leading edge droop, BLC and a little larger horizontal stabilizer. However, for our purposes the F-8E and F-8J look the same, and both have the nose IR sensor. Therefore you should use the "model.F-8J" for all your F-8E and F-8J squadron textures (just label the textures accordingly). Alphasim did include a short nose version - but wrongly called it the "model.F-8E", which it is not (because no F-8E had a short nose). The only Crusader variations that had a short nose were the F-8C (F8U-2) and the F-8D (F-8U-2N), These were also remanufacturer by Vought as the F-8K and F-8H. The remanufactured versions retailed their short noses. So, you should only use the short nose (what Alphasim called "model.F-8E") with F-8C and F-8D squadron textures. The beautiful VF-84 texture is for a F-8C that was flown for several cruises on the USS Independence (CV-62).

Question for our wonderful model maker / slash anyone else: The original Alphasim model (and our present one) has a gray 'shelf" that that you can see in the lower left and right hand side, just forward of the Windscreen frame (alongside the outer edge of the instrument cowling). Surely the space between the inside of the windscreen glass and the forward instrument cowling wasn't like this (not near this wide)?

ATB, Bill
    I mentioned all of that to Carl a decade ago when beta testing these. Notwithstanding his talent, and not wanting to blade colleague not able to defend himself - the reality was when he had a plan, that was the plan, however compelling the case for accuracy or other considerations might have been. That was one of the few challenges to this project. We have what we have, and I'd say the glass is still more than half full.

dl

Hi DL,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Everything works just fine - and you can get all the variation to appear correctly - if you just ignore the labels that Carl put on the models. Incidentally, I also advised Carl while he was doing the original Alphasim release, but. as you say, he remained adamant.

Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Hi DL,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Everything works just fine - and you can get all the variation to appear correctly - if you just ignore the labels that Carl put on the models. Incidentally, I also advised Carl while he was doing the original Alphasim release, but. as you say, he remained adamant.

Bill
    Yes, those inaccuracies, coupled with the pre/post 1962 Tri-service naval aircraft designation changes, across which this model spans time-wise, makes for easy misunderstanding.

All good.

I am usually more of an A-A than a A-G guy but the bomb truck version of the F-8 in VMF-235 colors really looks cool! This model is terrific!

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

There are enough textures for two liveries. as such, I'm feeling it's like picking fly specks out of a pepper shaker
    Looking for the dupes but could use some advise on how to split these files into two liveries that are the way they should be. In other
    words sort these two into an accurate inventory.

Edit: I wonder if Henk is considering updating the older model=F8U-1E from Don's F-8 package?
    There is a couple VFP textures in Dons F8 package that used this model (I think).

I've started to delete some files from the drone texture, one at a time, then reload it and see if last file I deleted was necessary (Trial & error).
    I found a couple of VF-24 bmps in that collection.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Thanks GE,

You're seeing those VF-84 textures because they're the ones the F-8B (F8U-1E) model calls for by default. It's another manifestation of the weird way Carl worked with shared textures. The solution is to dump all but the model-specific textures, pulling the shared textures from the common textures file by use of the texture.cfg. By now, I'd know which ones to keep, so I should be ok - I just didn't know Henk converted the B - not sure how I missed that.

That model will do me fine!

dl
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 5th, 2015 at 05:27.

Grey Eagle - I'm going to try and modify the VMF-235 vertical tail files so the tail flashes line up with the rudder on the Marine bird. May be a day or so; RW stuff!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Grey Eagle - I'm going to try and modify the VMF-235 vertical tail files so the tail flashes line up with the rudder on the Marine bird. May be a day or so; RW stuff!

DaveQ
    Sounds great. Thanks.

Some more F8 liveries

more liveries cont'd

Quote Originally Posted by bob407 View Post
    Paint by Dave Quincey.

Attachment 32502
    Is this a new repaint of clean version? Looking good

VF-111 Winders on

Quote Originally Posted by bob407 View Post
    GE

Not new.
    Oh is this results of ^ #183 ?

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Oh is this results of ^ #183 ?
    Negative. It is the exact same one posted in #128.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Is this a new repaint of clean version? Looking good
    Sorry Gray Eagle, I'm a little confused: what model is this with that bulbe below the windshield ?
    The more you do, the less you dream

VF-194 CAG bird

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I would like a copy of this one please. My texture is all black. I have the original texture but having the black issues again.
    Did you convert it to DDS? Curious as to what the Aircraft.cfg looks for this one. Do I have to rename any of the original files? if so,
    which ones and what/how to do that.

Thanks.

Hey, GE,

This paint transferred over with no muss or fuss with the relevant textures assigned (Carl/Ninjamouse's algo ..) to the F-8J model.

expat

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Hey, GE,

This paint transferred over with no muss or fuss with the relevant textures assigned (Carl/Ninjamouse's algo ..) to the F-8J model.

expat
    Strange, I first renamed that texture to VF-194_CAG because I already have a texture.194 and the paint is different. I already posted it here. Dumped the contents of the bmp files as is
    over to FSX and got a black preview.

Here is my aircraft.cfg setup

[fltsim.14]
    title=VF194 Red Lightnings CAG
    sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
    model=F8-J
    panel=C
    sound=
    texture=VF-194_CAG <<<<< Had to rename this texture as I have another VF-194 texture that is different.
    KB_checklists=f8_check
    kb_reference=
    ui_manufacturer=Vought
    ui_type=F-8 Crusader
    ui_variation=VF-194, Red Lightnings CAG
    description=VF-194 Textures by Russel R. Smith. © ALPHA Simulations 2005\n\nIn 1953 the F8U-1 Crusader won the Navy competition for the new carrier-based day fighter. It flew supersonic on its maiden flight in 1955. A Crusader set a national speed record in 1956 by flying over 1000 mph, for which it won the Thompson Trophy. In 1957 Major John Glenn flew an F8U non-stop from Los Angeles to new York, setting a transcontinental speed record. In 1958 Vought received the first Certificate of merit ever awarded an aircraft manufacturer by the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics for the design, development and production of a US Navy aircraft. In the Vietnam conflict the Crusader had the highest kill ratio over communist jets of any Navy aircraft. The F8U series enjoyed a long service life which was extended in the 1960s by remanufacturing and updating existing aircraft. Crusaders flew in Navy reserve units until 1987, and the French navy flew its Crusaders well into the 1990’s.
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
    visual_damage=0
    atc_id=
    atc_airline=
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT

This is another one of those deathangel textures and the model for it is not use for theV2 update therefore, F8-J model was used.
    Had problem before with the VMF 235 as it used the deathangel model and was black like this VF-191.

Trying to remember what was done to alleviate the black black preview issue.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=42737648

Just for grins, I added the old texture model.deathangel and it shows up alright but at price of dark areas on the pylons and other places.
    So, the question remains, with out using the model.deathangel, what model is there left? I tried the F8-J model and for me that was not working I tried the E model also.

When in doubt .. improvise, experiment.

Here is my paint (nothing done to it since the FS9/portover time) . .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Members who have read this thread: 1